Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Everyone I know does this. I’m always honest about going on holiday in term time (mainly because you have to phone in sick at my kids school everyday and I ain’t getting up at 7am when I’m on holiday) and last year I got fined! Fair enough, it’s a risk you take, but a few months later the headteacher was in a BBC news article saying fining parents for absenteeism was a last resort 😑 My daughter doesn’t have much time off school either so I was annoyed but paid it. Then she was poorly this year around the time of the queen’s funeral and she’d had ONE day off and they sent someone round to the house to check. I was fewmin’. Before covid I always supported not going away in term time etc, but school provision was so tit and the kids missed out on so much, I now think duck it.

Imagine though, if they sent someone round to a teacher’s house after they’d had one day off sick to check whether they were on holiday or not. Mumsnet would be buzzing.
I don't have kids but if I did I'd definitely take them away during term time if it was a choice between that or no holiday that year. Any travel abroad for a week is bound to do more for a kids development and outlook than the missed week in school. They're also always talking about how overworked school staff are yet they have the time to go round parents houses to check on sick kids. Mad.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Has anyone saw the North Face thread ? It’s another excuse to show how middle class they all are and on what planet are North Faces £300 there were loads on ASOS for under £100 for Black Friday . They all remind me of the mum in the film About a Boy
Idk if it’s an Irish thing but mostly north face is terribly lower class and usually teenage yobs wear it

• Haha
Reactions: 12
There's a thread on there atm where the OP has given someone a lift to an activity for the past five years.

Of course, rather than sort it out face to face or over the phone, OP is sending messages drafted by mumsnet. Really stupid, martyrish, passive aggressive mumsnet "zingers" instead of simple clear communication. The woman called the OP crying and confused after receiving one of the messages.

I dunno, I just feel a lot of pity for the person on the receiving end of this who has acted rudely or thoughtlessly, but obviously assumed after five bleeping years of nothing being said that OP was OK with it.
I despise how OP’s get egged on by the cheering mob (like the ‘should I sexually harass the man who came to fit my washing machine’ threads) but that OP’s ‘friend’ was taking the piss (if it’s true).

Reactions: 6
They love a good lift thread there. I genuinely don't know why anyone wouldn't open their mouth early on and say, right will we drive every second turn or whatever.

I seldom believe anything on MN anyway. 😁

Reactions: 8
They love a good lift thread there. I genuinely don't know why anyone wouldn't open their mouth early on and say, right will we drive every second turn or whatever.

I seldom believe anything on MN anyway. 😁
Agree. IF that thread was true, the friend/neighbour was taking the piss but the OP needs to shoulder some of the blame for not having spoken up in 5 years FFS!

Reactions: 5
'She also called me out and said that I didn’t given her a lift for 5 years. We didn’t go during lockdown! Unbelievable!'

Yes, it is. Unbelievable 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Agree. IF that thread was true, the friend/neighbour was taking the piss but the OP needs to shoulder some of the blame for not having spoken up in 5 years FFS!
They never do because they are all 'people pleasers' and 'don't like confrontation' and that gets trotted out at every hand's turn. Whereas in reality, they are probably passive aggressive creatures. Ugh.

That's my experience of people, in real life, who like to describe themselves as non-confrontational.
'Don't mind little me, I will just sit in the corner and eat worms' kinda thing.

• Haha
  • Heart
I love the drafts of texts and emails that posters compose for OP to use. They’re always awful.
Oh yes! Always extremely pompous and longwinded.

Similarly in work scenarios, the rubbish that they propose someone should say or indeed write to a co-worker. They fail to take into account that the OP could be looking at this person at the desk next to them, or whatever, for years to come. 🙄
Not to mention landing themselves in extremely hot water with HR.

• Haha
'She also called me out and said that I didn’t given her a lift for 5 years. We didn’t go during lockdown! Unbelievable!'

Yes, it is. Unbelievable 🤣
She's right though, the lift cadger, it's not 5 years of free lifts, more like 2/3. Lockdown was on and off for almost 2 years with various restrictions in place all over the place. Why the duck she didn't ask for petrol money right from the start makes no sense at all. I think it's probably mostly true, she gives a lift, and never gets thanked or reimbursed, but the rest is 100% over exaggerated bollocks.

I love the drafts of texts and emails that posters compose for OP to use. They’re always awful.
One of them suggested 'have you always been this self absorbed or have you been on a course?' and I howled, cackled, spat my tea over my laptop etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Has anyone seen the 1st December Christmas breakfast thread? It’s the perfect mix of people doing ridiculous breakfasts that I genuinely thought were piss takes to start with ( I make a pavlova so it sets a 'snowy scene', then I place all the gingerbread reindeer and a sleigh full of pancakes on it.) and people aghast at how anyone would ever want to be so elaborate because their lives are so busy and they have to “eat toast leaning over the sink”

Oh and we’ve got competitive misers now too. When I was a kid I shared an advent calendar with my 18 siblings and we had gruel for breakfast as a treat in December…

Edit-the shared advent calendar was a picture one.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I had hoped that this thread would help to wean me off my MN hate-reading but it keeps making me go back!

• Haha
Many years ago, I had a ringside seat to a real live one of these.

Two academic types doing "onedownmanship" on each other about how they spent their holidays.

One claimed that they "never leave the country (Ireland) as they don't wish to contribute to causing environmental damge but go camping instead."The other countered that they never leave their own house and "we just built a yurt in the garden for the children to stay in."
I'd love to read that thread. If they were real (and I doubt it) I reckon I'd be able to figure out who they are pretty quickly. Sounds fictitious though - most of these types couldn't lie straight in a bed. The women I know (and avoid) who go on like this wouldn't be caught dead posting on mumsnet. Too West Brit.

Reactions: 2
God they’re so bloody patronising aren’t they? 😂

Reading a historical “what to wear on holiday” post and someone said they live in Italy and only “British tourists” wear maxi dresses and linen trousers. 😖

Another said that you can always tell British women as they make the mistake of dressing up in the evening, rather than looking chic, casual and understated. Sorry mumsnet, I’d rather look nice than cultured 🙄

Reactions: 9
God they’re so bloody patronising aren’t they? 😂

Reading a historical “what to wear on holiday” post and someone said they live in Italy and only “British tourists” wear maxi dresses and linen trousers. 😖

Another said that you can always tell British women as they make the mistake of dressing up in the evening, rather than looking chic, casual and understated. Sorry mumsnet, I’d rather look nice than cultured 🙄
Some of them do set themselves up as experts on absolutely everything, don't they? If their idea of casual, chic and understated is anything created by Boden, Toast or Seasalt, I'd rather get dressed up on holiday, than rock up to dinner looking like I don't give a tit what I look like. Who cares about being mistaken for a tourist? We are bleeping tourists if we're on holiday!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Some of them do set themselves up as experts on absolutely everything, don't they? If their idea of casual, chic and understated is anything created by Boden, Toast or Seasalt, I'd rather get dressed up on holiday, than rock up to dinner looking like I don't give a tit what I look like. Who cares about being mistaken for a tourist? We are bleeping tourists if we're on holiday!!!
I bloody LOVE being a tourist! No interest whatsoever in pretending to be a 'local', I'll do my please and thank you in the language and have a stab at a few other phrases - but it's always clear to everyone, whether you're German, American or Brit, what nationality you are. Why pretend?

Reactions: 13
I actually think mumsnet create their own posts to maintain their engagement. There’s another aibu about being childless today. Honestly credit to them for sticking to their own decisions and not being pressured into having something they don’t want but how on earth do they stumble onto MUMsnet- I find it such a goady platform. There’ll inevitably be some sneering “yuk kids are gross and duck up your life” and “my life had no purpose without my kids”. It’s so tit because there will be people struggling with their children or infertility on a parenting site. Surely there’s other places to have this discussion.

Who's going to start the new thread? I don't know how to. I'd suggest Mumsnet: Give Your Head a Wobble for a title unless we've already had that one or Mumsnet: Give us a diagram, you CF.

I bloody LOVE being a tourist! No interest whatsoever in pretending to be a 'local', I'll do my please and thank you in the language and have a stab at a few other phrases - but it's always clear to everyone, whether you're German, American or Brit, what nationality you are. Why pretend?
For having the reputation of being quintessentially English and middle class, mnetters show a real disdain for being British. It’s actually quite embarrassing. Like you said, and Italian or French person will never mistake you for one of them no matter how hard you try.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.