Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The excessive use of bleach troubles me. Yes it has its place but nowhere needed as much as some use it. It can react terribly if accidentally mixed with other cleaning products producing noxious fumes. I also hate the kitchen sprays with bleach. Covid was a god send for some manufacturers I think. 😐

Reactions: 6
I had a scroll through that what are you wearing thread. One of the regulars is scruffy AF! No judgement here - I dress just as badly most of the time. But that’s why I’d never dream of photographing my everyday outfits and putting them online 😱 What possesses these people?!

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I had a scroll through that what are you wearing thread. One of the regulars is scruffy AF! No judgement here - I dress just as badly most of the time. But that’s why I’d never dream of photographing my everyday outfits and putting them online 😱 What possesses these people?!
That’s what gets me. The only thing I’m judging them about is putting it online. Dress how you want, have a scruffy house (up to a point) if you want, but if you’re putting it out there, so to speak, I’m going to judge you. The thing is, these are probably the same people who can’t understand IG and why people post stuff online. They seem to think MN is some sort of cosy corner of the internet no one knows about so it’s safe to post these things. The same kind of people who can’t understand why their posts whinging about their mother in laws end up in the Daily Mail.

If you’re putting it on the internet, it’s fair game I’m afraid.

Reactions: 16
Why would you though 🤣 I just don’t get it at all so they think they look stellar or are they looking for advice?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Half of Mumsnet are paranoid about outing themselves, while the other half are gaily uploading photos of themselves, their houses, their babies, their dogs, their hideous clothing choices. It's crazy.

Today I am wearing a long stripey jumper, leggings and slipper boots because it's my day off and I am bleeping freezing. No, I am not taking a photo of myself in a grimy mirror for you all to critique.

PS: Jumper from Studio catalogue, leggings from Primark, slipper boots pressie from mother in law last Christmas.

Is that Mumsnet enough? Should I replace Studio, Primark and pressie with Joules, Boden and Toast for more brownie points? And subtly hint that I am a petite size 6 - 8 in the process? :D

• Haha
Reactions: 15
You’re more likely to get your arse handed to you by the braying mob, racing to get the best put down posted. Any decent advice given is lost among the crap.

Any time someone posts about a faithless or abusive husband, some bright spark will helpfully ask why they had kids with him. Not much they can do about that now!

Reactions: 10
Half of Mumsnet are paranoid about outing themselves, while the other half are gaily uploading photos of themselves, their houses, their babies, their dogs, their hideous clothing choices. It's crazy.

Today I am wearing a long stripey jumper, leggings and slipper boots because it's my day off and I am bleeping freezing. No, I am not taking a photo of myself in a grimy mirror for you all to critique.

PS: Jumper from Studio catalogue, leggings from Primark, slipper boots pressie from mother in law last Christmas.

Is that Mumsnet enough? Should I replace Studio, Primark and pressie with Joules, Boden and Toast for more brownie points? And subtly hint that I am a petite size 6 - 8 in the process? :D
Maybe drop in that you’ll have to change footwear later to take DDog out and pick up DS and DD then take them to subsequent after school activities

• Haha
Reactions: 6

There’s a thread on mumsnet at the moment about a woman who has killed the man who abused her children. A woman on the thread said a child close to her has recently been abused but she won’t give the relationship between her and the child as she doesn’t want to be outed. Horrifyingly she could give the relationship and the town and she still wouldn’t be outed as so many children are abused but that aside there’s no way that’s outing.

You’re more likely to get your arse handed to you by the braying mob, racing to get the best put down posted. Any decent advice given is lost among the crap.

Any time someone posts about a faithless or abusive husband, some bright spark will helpfully ask why they had kids with him. Not much they can do about that now!
Or when someone says they think their husband is cheating they say ‘why don’t you ask him’. Come on. Women have walked in on their husband balls deep in another woman and he still tries to say it’s not what she thinks it is 🙄 If I ask my husband if he’s shagging another woman is he likely to say ‘ah you caught me hen, sorry about that’ no! He’d bloody deny it wouldn’t he!

Reactions: 11
There's a woman, 39 weeks pregnant with her 3rd child, upset that her husband has been following half naked young women on Twitter, and she is being advised to get a divorce. Surely there's a better solution that something so drastic! He's following them on Twitter, he's not following them in the street, or paying them to get their clothes off. He's just being a middle-aged perv and it's sad and pathetic behaviour - but divorce?

Reactions: 12
Maybe drop in that you’ll have to change footwear later to take DDog out and pick up DS and DD then take them to subsequent after school activities
And you have to do all that as your usless ‘D’H always prioritises he’s hobby (can’t reveal what as outing) so you have to do everything

• Haha
Reactions: 7
There’s a thread on mumsnet at the moment about a woman who has killed the man who abused her children.
Before my brain properly caught up, I interpreted this as the killer had posted on Mumsnet asking if she was being unreasonable 😲

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I had 2 friends who’s husbands cheated on them within 3/4 months. This was about 8 years ago

Friend 1- agreed to take him back after couples counselling, a lot of talking and changes etc. She realised although the affair wasn’t her fault there were issues in the relationship that she caused.

Friend 2- chucked him out no ifs or buts. Told friend 1 she was a mug and actually stopped talking to her.

Roll on today… friend 1 and her husband have a really good solid relationship just moved into a beautiful home, 3 well rounded kids, holidays etc. Friend 2 is really struggling in numerous ways and has since said she wished she’d given it all more thought.

Friend 3 had a horrible husband who I suspected had numerous affairs she kicked him out and never looked back.

Everyone and everyone situation is different it’s not always as easy as LTB as is the mumsnet Moto.

Reactions: 14
Lol someone is considering divorcing her husband on aibu because he has to work abroad for a week next year. What a wet wipe

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
It is annoying as I do have a relationship issue I would like advice with but on MN it would just be LTB.
Like it is so easy to leave with children and a mortgage even if you wanted to.

• Heart
I don’t know how this will go down on this thread, because the only Tattle threads I’ve posted on before have lots of other autistic/ADHD posters too, and we tend to get one another pretty well. But I just wanted to pop in to this thread and say what the f*** is Mumsnet’s deal with autism?

Autistic posters there get absolutely monstered when they post for advice after not understanding a social situation, or when they post wanting help to navigate an upcoming social situation - and even the “kind” sort of responses basically amount to “well have you just tried not being autistic, it’s awfully inconvenient to the rest of us?”.

There are often threads titled stuff like “is there any hope at all for my high functioning autistic child to have a decent life?” which blows my mind in 2022 … soooooo you’ve started this thread telling us your kid is acing their schooling, has a couple of high quality close friendships, has an intensive interest like engineering or something … and you’re wondering if they’ll have a decent life? Erm, yes, your kid can probably have a perfectly decent life, and possibly even a great one - as long as mum learns to accept her kid probably won’t really be a thriving social butterfly with 100 kids at their birthday party and a massive TikTok following or whatever. Support and love the kid you’ve got, don’t cause them distress and anxiety by trying to make them into a different kid.

There’s a long running series of threads where women post about their crappy husbands being crappy and abusive, but claim it’s all due to undiagnosed autism (and most of the time it’s like, er no love, he’s simply a horrible bastard, and you should leave him, instead of recruiting stereotypes about autism and armchair diagnosing him to excuse his abusive behaviour to you and the kids).

And the disability/carers benefit bashing on Mumsnet is just out of this world lately, as though these stuck up women are actually somehow jealous of the women who are mums and full time carers to their teenagers who will never even be able to talk never mind live independently.

Big love to the small handful of Mumsnet posters who do challenge the predominant narrative there. I see you and I’m grateful for you. I just don’t have it in me to join in; and tbh don’t even have it in me to visit Mumsnet much any more because of the constant drip of hate and othering for disability and autism specifically. MNHQ are dire on ableism/disableism.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I don’t know how this will go down on this thread, because the only Tattle threads I’ve posted on before have lots of other autistic/ADHD posters too, and we tend to get one another pretty well. But I just wanted to pop in to this thread and say what the f*** is Mumsnet’s deal with autism?

Autistic posters there get absolutely monstered when they post for advice after not understanding a social situation, or when they post wanting help to navigate an upcoming social situation - and even the “kind” sort of responses basically amount to “well have you just tried not being autistic, it’s awfully inconvenient to the rest of us?”.

There are often threads titled stuff like “is there any hope at all for my high functioning autistic child to have a decent life?” which blows my mind in 2022 … soooooo you’ve started this thread telling us your kid is acing their schooling, has a couple of high quality close friendships, has an intensive interest like engineering or something … and you’re wondering if they’ll have a decent life? Erm, yes, your kid can probably have a perfectly decent life, and possibly even a great one - as long as mum learns to accept her kid probably won’t really be a thriving social butterfly with 100 kids at their birthday party and a massive TikTok following or whatever. Support and love the kid you’ve got, don’t cause them distress and anxiety by trying to make them into a different kid.

There’s a long running series of threads where women post about their crappy husbands being crappy and abusive, but claim it’s all due to undiagnosed autism (and most of the time it’s like, er no love, he’s simply a horrible bastard, and you should leave him, instead of recruiting stereotypes about autism and armchair diagnosing him to excuse his abusive behaviour to you and the kids).

And the disability/carers benefit bashing on Mumsnet is just out of this world lately, as though these stuck up women are actually somehow jealous of the women who are mums and full time carers to their teenagers who will never even be able to talk never mind live independently.

Big love to the small handful of Mumsnet posters who do challenge the predominant narrative there. I see you and I’m grateful for you. I just don’t have it in me to join in; and tbh don’t even have it in me to visit Mumsnet any more because of the constant drip of hate and othering for disability and autism specifically. MNHQ are dire on ableism/disableism.
I have no experience of autism or adhd personally but I have said on here before that if I had autism or had a child who did I would be very offended that every time a child is naughty (or sometimes a lot more than naughty - violent, taking drugs, refusing school etc) or someone is an hole they ‘might be autistic’ ‘is he on spectrum’ etc.

Reactions: 11

Big love to the small handful of Mumsnet posters who do challenge the predominant narrative there. I see you and I’m grateful for you. I just don’t have it in me to join in; and tbh don’t even have it in me to visit Mumsnet much any more because of the constant drip of hate and othering for disability and autism specifically. MNHQ are dire on ableism/disableism.
I used to feel quite depressed reading all the ableist tit coming out of MN because it makes me think… is this the majority view of kids and adults with autism and/or ADHD? The sad thing is, I think the answer is yes.

MN really is the strangest place. If someone posted that they’re annoyed that their husband bounced in steaming from a night out, the response would be that he’s clearly a dangerous, raging alcoholic and they need to LTB. But sometimes when someone posts about an actual make or break issue, it’s ‘I couldn’t get worked up about this’.

Why anyone still asks for advice on there is beyond me.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.