Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
MN really is the strangest place. If someone posted that they’re annoyed that their husband bounced in steaming from a night out, the response would be that he’s clearly a dangerous, raging alcoholic and they need to LTB. But sometimes when someone posts about an actual make or break issue, it’s ‘I couldn’t get worked up about this’.

Why anyone still asks for advice on there is beyond me.
I do think the first few replies dictate the tone of the thread though. There was a thread recently from someone who thought they’d been ‘kept hidden’ because her husband didn’t want her to come on a works do. The absolute drama of it all. The majority of replies ranged from ‘he’s having an affair’ (of course) to ‘he’s probably gay and shagging a workmate’ (I mean isn’t it obvious?!). Instead of the more sensible ‘so what?’

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Why would you go on someone else’s work’s do, unless it was an all partners invited type of thing?

My husband texted me from our local asking me to meet him for a drink. He’d been out with work straight from work. Assuming he was on his own by now, hence the text, I met him. They were all still out. I could have chinned him.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I do think the first few replies dictate the tone of the thread though. There was a thread recently from someone who thought they’d been ‘kept hidden’ because her husband didn’t want her to come on a works do. The absolute drama of it all. The majority of replies ranged from ‘he’s having an affair’ (of course) to ‘he’s probably gay and shagging a workmate’ (I mean isn’t it obvious?!). Instead of the more sensible ‘so what?’
Are you insinuating that the most logical reason your husband might not want you to come to a work night out isn’t that he’s having a gay affair?? You need to give your head a wobble!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
That’s what gets me. The only thing I’m judging them about is putting it online. Dress how you want, have a scruffy house (up to a point) if you want, but if you’re putting it out there, so to speak, I’m going to judge you. The thing is, these are probably the same people who can’t understand IG and why people post stuff online. They seem to think MN is some sort of cosy corner of the internet no one knows about so it’s safe to post these things. The same kind of people who can’t understand why their posts whinging about their mother in laws end up in the Daily Mail.

If you’re putting it on the internet, it’s fair game I’m afraid.
BIB - absolutely. And that's something that will never cease to amaze me. It's a very well known website, not some secret club where nobody will ever see it, apart from the select members, of course...

Also the reason I refuse to believe (among many many other topics) the work related ones. Apart from the fact that if you had a six figure salary at some huge company, it would have its own HR and most likely it's own legal department, but also why would anyone post on a well known website - 'how will I manage this very specific outing situation'! As if!

Reactions: 7
My nephew is autistic, he has a job, friends and a social life. he’s amazing and caring and probably far nicer than some of their offspring. Shock horror!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Still hasn’t given the mirror a wipe. The dog’s given up and gone in search of a new owner.

94662C81-39D1-4770-9348-D0ECB9FF4124.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
One thing that really gets me about Mumsnet is:

If you want to buy a puppy they will all pile on you and say its despicable, you should only ever rescue dogs (no consideration that 1. If we all only rescued dogs, they'd die out
2. Not everyone can rescue a TROUBLED dog who will most likely have behavioural issues)

However

They then have a whole PUPPY SURVIVAL thread!

Make it make sense

• Heart
Reactions: 7
BIB - absolutely. And that's something that will never cease to amaze me. It's a very well known website, not some secret club where nobody will ever see it, apart from the select members, of course...

Also the reason I refuse to believe (among many many other topics) the work related ones. Apart from the fact that if you had a six figure salary at some huge company, it would have its own HR and most likely it's own legal department, but also why would anyone post on a well known website - 'how will I manage this very specific outing situation'! As if!
On another site I post on we have an incorrigible oversharer. She is on about her fifth alias now as she keeps getting doxed because she can't shut the duck up about herself, her job, her husband's job and where they live.

She lost her job, her bleeping job, because she was spouting off about a topical political story that was in the news at the time. She worked for the government department involved and was blabbing all about the behind the scenes goings on despite everyone shouting at her to watch her words. Either she got doxed or a journalist or someone in the know got wind of it and she was moved to another department on a reduced pay grade.

Now, you would think this would cause anyone to take stock and perhaps consider being a bit more discreet but, well, a couple of months later she was back to tell us all about her sacking.

People like her should be banned from the internet for their own safety.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.