Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You can guarantee that whenever a thread about Dr Martens appears someone will post about how Solovair are much nicer and more comfy and ethical etc etc. So I googled and they are as ugly as sin. Like something a clown would wear. I’m sure there is some kind of deal in place that whenever DM’s are mentioned someone has to post promoting solovair as an alternative. DM’s are timeless for a reason. I’ve had mine for about six years and they’ve only now started to get scuffed on the toes, they’re worth every Penny and so comfy when broken in properly. But noooo in MN land Solovair are so much better (but uglier).

• Haha
Reactions: 12
You can guarantee that whenever a thread about Dr Martens appears someone will post about how Solovair are much nicer and more comfy and ethical etc etc. So I googled and they are as ugly as sin. Like something a clown would wear. I’m sure there is some kind of deal in place that whenever DM’s are mentioned someone has to post promoting solovair as an alternative. DM’s are timeless for a reason. I’ve had mine for about six years and they’ve only now started to get scuffed on the toes, they’re worth every Penny and so comfy when broken in properly. But noooo in MN land Solovair are so much better (but uglier).
I’ve noticed the Solovair thing recently as well. I looked on their website and there’s definitely a ‘brogue-ish’ air about them. I too love DM’s, but they don’t love me unfortunately but I still wouldn’t get a pair of Solovairs.

Reactions: 4
I’ve noticed the Solovair thing recently as well. I looked on their website and there’s definitely a ‘brogue-ish’ air about them. I too love DM’s, but they don’t love me unfortunately but I still wouldn’t get a pair of Solovairs.
I suppose the brogue-ish thing fits in with the frumpy, eccentric geography teacher image they’re all so keen to portray.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
It escapes me how they are, en-masse, so predictably ghastly, so stupidly competitive, and so deeply unpleasant to one another. I skim read a thread on there recently about resting heart rates. Needless to say, they all had a resting heart rate of an elite athlete. Complete bullshitters.

I’m absolutely convinced now that mn hq start threads like this to stir people up because this cannot be real
View attachment 1708406
View attachment 1708407
"Amazing mummy friends". A contradiction in terms if ever I heard it.
"We meet up regularly with our children and have a brilliant time". Sounds heinous. I meet my "mummy" friends without the kids. And it has taken considerable effort to filter out the ones who aren't utter bores and have something to talk about other than their offspring. I blatantly avoid the bores at the school gate.

I used to think that a lot of the threads like the above on mumsnet were trolling but there's too many of them to not be real.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I've been to the doctor because of bad circulation / constantly being cold. I had a blood test done as it can sometimes be the sign of an underlying illness. I've got Raynaurds and have medication for it. (my hands go numb if I'm too cold which is actually painful)

I went after my hands turned white and were very painful. They go red and numb after.
I feel your pain - literally. Fellow sufferer here and hand warmers have been a life saver. Little gel inserts for gloves you heat up in the microwave

Reactions: 5
It escapes me how they are, en-masse, so predictably ghastly, so stupidly competitive, and so deeply unpleasant to one another. I skim read a thread on there recently about resting heart rates. Needless to say, they all had a resting heart rate of an elite athlete. Complete bullshitters.

"Amazing mummy friends". A contradiction in terms if ever I heard it.
"We meet up regularly with our children and have a brilliant time". Sounds heinous. I meet my "mummy" friends without the kids. And it has taken considerable effort to filter out the ones who aren't utter bores and have something to talk about other than their offspring. I blatantly avoid the bores at the school gate.

I used to think that a lot of the threads like the above on mumsnet were trolling but there's too many of them to not be real.
BIB - Probably a load of sock puppets replying to themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: 6

I don't know anything about the debate between DMs and Solovair I'd never heard of Solovair until now.

However I just went on the Solovair website and I think that they have a lot of nice looking boots not clown like at all.

Many are certainly comparable to DMs . DMs and many of the Solovairs are essentially Derby boots.

These are my Fluevog Derby boots. I'm sure no ones heard of the brand , it's a Canadian shoe designer. I love them .

Reactions: 1
IIRC when DMs were manufactured in the UK, Solovair used to make them. So they're pretty similar. I'm tempted to try a pair because I like the idea of supporting something UK-made.

Reactions: 4
Some of the Solovair boots aren’t bad and at least they’re still made in the U.K. I had a Canadian friend so I have heard of Fluevog!

Reactions: 3
Some of the Solovair boots aren’t bad and at least they’re still made in the U.K. I had a Canadian friend so I have heard of Fluevog!
That's good to hear!
I've lived in Canada for over 20 years but only learned about Fluevog 3 years ago. I bought them at the end of 2019 so going into my 4th winter with them now. They're really good quality, not cheap but worth it.

My American friend has worn Fluevog for years. She has a very particular aesthetic though. I wore DMs all the time as a teen. Couldn't imagine wearing them (or anything similar) now.

I'm so glad that you have noticed it too. Now I personally love Docs and they make a ladies' 9 to fit my huge feet but yep, Solovair can feck right off.

What on earth was the neighbors cat thread all about the other night
I am off to look ...

I couldn't find it but I fell down a "my direct report is on Only Fans" rabbit hole.

Screenshot_20221106-214000_Chrome.jpg

It's that gnarly old £55 pppn B&B carpet again.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I'm so glad that you have noticed it too. Now I personally love Docs and they make a ladies' 9 to fit my huge feet but yep, Solovair can feck right off.

I am off to look ...

I couldn't find it but I fell down a "my direct report is on Only Fans" rabbit hole.

View attachment 1709997

It's that gnarly old £55 pppn B&B carpet again.
A lot of the houses don't fit with their purported income and status - just standard housing estate. They also seem to spend a lot of money on stuff like Boden, Sezanne, and £800 leather skirts (as well as 50 or so pairs of jeans) but have no decent jewellery; they're always asking where to go for very ordinary jewellery. I'd rather wear supermarket clothing with good jewellery and footwear.

As for Docs, I adore mine and have some from 30 years ago that I still wear. I had to have a joint fusion in my foot thanks to osteoarthritis and the only footwear I can wear comfortably has to have a very giving and padded sole so I live in Docs and FitFlop slides/shoes/trainers/boots. I decided that, if I had to wear granny shoes in my 50s (I'm in my 60s now), then they would be bliddy funky granny shoes! I love the bright colours and floral ones especially. Doc Martens used to do really good ones in their youth sizes - I have a pair of black boots with neon green glow-in-the-dark skeleton feet on them - but they're really boring now. When I worked and went to one particular office, the canteen ladies always wanted to see which boots I was wearing that day 😁.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
A lot of the houses don't fit with their purported income and status - just standard housing estate. They also seem to spend a lot of money on stuff like Boden, Sezanne, and £800 leather skirts (as well as 50 or so pairs of jeans) but have no decent jewellery; they're always asking where to go for very ordinary jewellery. I'd rather wear supermarket clothing with good jewellery and footwear.

As for Docs, I adore mine and have some from 30 years ago that I still wear. I had to have a joint fusion in my foot thanks to osteoarthritis and the only footwear I can wear comfortably has to have a very giving and padded sole so I live in Docs and FitFlop slides/shoes/trainers/boots. I decided that, if I had to wear granny shoes in my 50s (I'm in my 60s now), then they would be bliddy funky granny shoes! I love the bright colours and floral ones especially. Doc Martens used to do really good ones in their youth sizes - I have a pair of black boots with neon green glow-in-the-dark skeleton feet on them - but they're really boring now. When I worked and went to one particular office, the canteen ladies always wanted to see which boots I was wearing that day 😁.
Yes, they do seem to love spending £200 on high end stuff for no particular reason. Personally companies such as Hush, Me & Em and Jigsaw are out of my price and size range!

I adore a comfy shoe, I have dyspraxia as well as ASD and trip an awful lot. I am always jealous of ladies with size 5 feet and below as the DM kids' range is bloody fab.

I must admit, I know everyone thinks MNetters are obsessive about cleanliness, I often find them quite the opposite!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.