Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I must admit, I know everyone thinks MNetters are obsessive about cleanliness, I often find them quite the opposite!
Well, there's a large cohort that obsess over how it is only working class people who are obsessed with cleanliness. Oddballs.

Reactions: 5
I think they fall into two camps - one that boils all bedding daily, thinks it's gross to shower less than twice a day and pressure washes their shoes when they get home to remove any trace of Outside, and one that washes bedding and towels once a month, showers twice weekly if that and thinks anything more is being 'hygiene obsessed'. There doesn't seem to be much in between!

Reactions: 15
The competitive hygiene threads are always the same and there’s always overuse of the word grim. Grim and vile are two of Mumsnet favourite words.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
There’s usually a crossover with the cleanliness threads and the class ones. There’s a class one running atm which is hilarious. All the hard-up aristos in their battered jeeps lending a hand at the church bring and buy while the nouveau riche swan by in their BMWs and are rude to Allan’s sundry.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
There’s usually a crossover with the cleanliness threads and the class ones. There’s a class one running atm which is hilarious. All the hard-up aristos in their battered jeeps lending a hand at the church bring and buy while the nouveau riche swan by in their BMWs and are rude to Allan’s sundry.
Loving your autocorrect 😂😂

Who is Allan and what’s his sundry?

• Haha
Reactions: 20
On the personal hygiene threads there's always a debate about having a 'sink wash' with ardent supporters of it claiming how easy it is and they still get clean and save water.

Personally I could not be arsed to faff around trying to wash myself over the sink, dripping water everywhere and still not feeling refreshed. Just hop in the shower for a few mins ffs!!!

Reactions: 16
On the personal hygiene threads there's always a debate about having a 'sink wash' with ardent supporters of it claiming how easy it is and they still get clean and save water.

Personally I could not be arsed to faff around trying to wash myself over the sink, dripping water everywhere and still not feeling refreshed. Just hop in the shower for a few mins ffs!!!

Agreed

I've read threads on there about personal hygiene and been amazed by a lot of it in respect to washing and changing bedding.

So many people who don't have a bath or shower daily- some going at least a week in between but many saying it's ok because they have a wash at the sink every other day or so.

Why would anyone want to wash at a sink when they have a bath or shower?

Those types of washes were common place many years back when people didn't have an option.

So many don't see the point in washing every day and argue that to do so is even unhealthy.

For me it's just basic hygiene to shower every day .

They also sometimes go months before changing bedding

I just can't imagine living like that.

Reactions: 9

My shower broke recently so I was stuck with sink washes til it got fixed - they do stop you being stinky but I was very happy when I could have proper showers again, for all the reasons you said. I'd never wash in the sink by choice, it's just more faff to feel less clean.

Reactions: 5
If you say you shower every day and wash your bedding once a week, ie you’re normal, there will be the inevitable pile on from the musty masses telling you that you’re killing the planet and aren’t you ashamed of being so utterly wasteful?! Then there are those who boak at the thought of a tradesmen using their toilet in case they spread some awful working class disease! They’re all so tedious.

Reactions: 14

It’s probably quicker to tie your hair back and jump in the shower for 2 minutes than to Fanny around with a flannel in the sink.

I'm so glad that you have noticed it too. Now I personally love Docs and they make a ladies' 9 to fit my huge feet but yep, Solovair can feck right off.

I am off to look ...

I couldn't find it but I fell down a "my direct report is on Only Fans" rabbit hole.

View attachment 1709997

It's that gnarly old £55 pppn B&B carpet again.
The mirror looks like it too. Maybe she lives in a Blackpool BnB?!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Sink washes are what I have when I'm camping and haven't got 20p for the shower. The rest of the time I jump in the shower, it's quicker, more efficient and I'm sure uses a similar amount of hot water.

Mumsnet posters are a funny lot. I've never had a real life conversation with anyone about how often I wash, how I wash and when I change my bedding :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
I think they fall into two camps - one that boils all bedding daily, thinks it's gross to shower less than twice a day and pressure washes their shoes when they get home to remove any trace of Outside, and one that washes bedding and towels once a month, showers twice weekly if that and thinks anything more is being 'hygiene obsessed'. There doesn't seem to be much in between!
The ones that make me smile are those that get angry over sitting on the bed in your outside clothes 😂

• Haha
The ones that make me smile are those that get angry over sitting on the bed in your outside clothes 😂
Did you read the thread where the dear husband had been to the dentist, had a tooth extracted and went to lie on the bed, because he was in so much pain? The OP was utterly disgusted that he hadn't changed his clothes first. Such sympathy, such compassion! Poor bloke.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Sink washes are what I have when I'm camping and haven't got 20p for the shower. The rest of the time I jump in the shower, it's quicker, more efficient and I'm sure uses a similar amount of hot water.

Mumsnet posters are a funny lot. I've never had a real life conversation with anyone about how often I wash, how I wash and when I change my bedding :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
The subject of changing bedding came up once at a place I worked and the 2 women I was talking to thought it odd and kind of hilarious that I change the bedding every week.

It was the first time I'd ever discussed the subject with anyone and had just assumed that everyone did the same thing.

It was quite an eye opener as they routinely went weeks or months before they changed theirs. I just couldn't get my head around it.

• Sick
  • Wow
The subject of changing bedding came up once at a place I worked and the 2 women I was talking to thought it odd and kind of hilarious that I change the bedding every week.

It was the first time I'd ever discussed the subject with anyone and had just assumed that everyone did the same thing.

It was quite an eye opener as they routinely went weeks or months before they changed theirs. I just couldn't get my head around it.
Sleeping in dirty sheets makes my skin crawl. I also can't sleep in sheets that someone else has slept in (other than my little boy or my husband, obviously). That fabric conditioner ad where a succession of people are rolling around in the same bed gives me the heebie-jeebies. :D

There's something so lovely and comforting getting into bed with fresh clean sheets, I adore clean bedding day.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Sleeping in dirty sheets makes my skin crawl. I also can't sleep in sheets that someone else has slept in (other than my little boy or my husband, obviously). That fabric conditioner ad where a succession of people are rolling around in the same bed gives me the heebie-jeebies. :D

There's something so lovely and comforting getting into bed with fresh clean sheets, I adore clean bedding day.
If I was a millionaire, I'd have clean bedding every day 🤗

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.