Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bacon is fine in moderation if you cut the fat off but I’d forgo the bread because CARBS. Come over to the low carb boot camp thread OP, where you can feast on delicious cobwebs and yummy air instead.
MN low carbers are the most batshit collection of people known to mankind. I remember when I was in the vulnerable throes of post natal depression and attempting to lose some of the 4 stone I'd put on during pregnancy, I decided to try a bit of low carbing and posted on those for support. Never again. I was told that the grated carrots I had in my salad were no better than haribo. Absolute bellends, making bread out of eggs and suchlike.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
MN low carbers are the most batshit collection of people known to mankind. I remember when I was in the vulnerable throes of post natal depression and attempting to lose some of the 4 stone I'd put on during pregnancy, I decided to try a bit of low carbing and posted on those for support. Never again. I was told that the grated carrots I had in my salad were no better than haribo. Absolute bellends, making bread out of eggs and suchlike.
They are incapable of critical thinking. I was reading one of the Intermittent Fasting threads, and apparently drinking anything other than plain water breaks the fast. Even black tea/herbal tea/black coffee/zero calorie drinks aren't allowed - when I asked why not and what difference it made, I got made to feel as if I was an absolute idiot for even considering drinking anything other than water. However, if you look on the NHS website and other specific weight loss sites, drinking sugar free, calorie free beverages is recommended.

On a completely separate note, the 16/8 IF diet has changed my life, seriously. It's so easy and so effective.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Sink washes are what I have when I'm camping and haven't got 20p for the shower. The rest of the time I jump in the shower, it's quicker, more efficient and I'm sure uses a similar amount of hot water.

Mumsnet posters are a funny lot. I've never had a real life conversation with anyone about how often I wash, how I wash and when I change my bedding :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Another forum I used to be on, that particular topic was dragged up regularly.
Now it didn't have the extremes of Mumsnet but there was one particular poster who was drawn to that topic like a moth to a flame. They were eventually banned as a troll, it took years though.

Claimed to only change the bed - well thankfully I have forgotten the details - but say, once a year, nobody needed to be showering except once in a blue moon, and so on.

Disgusting but also completely invented to troll the place.

Reactions: 1
They are incapable of critical thinking. I was reading one of the Intermittent Fasting threads, and apparently drinking anything other than plain water breaks the fast. Even black tea/herbal tea/black coffee/zero calorie drinks aren't allowed - when I asked why not and what difference it made, I got made to feel as if I was an absolute idiot for even considering drinking anything other than water. However, if you look on the NHS website and other specific weight loss sites, drinking sugar free, calorie free beverages is recommended.

On a completely separate note, the 16/8 IF diet has changed my life, seriously. It's so easy and so effective.
I do 16/8 too, it is how I lost the 4 stone!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
The Low carbers can be insane on there! So obsessed with food and what you can/can’t eat. Must be so miserable. But of course it is all so worth it so that they aren’t *massive* or *huge* usually at a size 10/12. They need to be an 8 or lower.

Reactions: 6
Confession: I did actually do the low carb Bootcamp for a while, when I had baby weight to lose, and it DID work. I did genuinely feel good when I was doing it

But in the end I couldn’t keep up with all the cooking myself separate things, and I DID miss carbs. Also realised I was lactose intolerant which rather put the brakes on drinking coffee with cream (as delicious as it was) and making “fathead” dough out of mozzarella 🤣

You’re right though, the gatekeepers of those threads are really fierce. I got told off for having salad leaves two days in a row… the bag is open and needs using up people!

These days I try to limit my carb intake but would never bother with proper low carbing again. I love bread and chocolate too much.

Reactions: 8
Allan’s sundry is pleased to report that the local nob has been nothing but charming to him unlike the ghastly nouveau riche who are just knobs…

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Allan’s sundry is pleased to report that the local nob has been nothing but charming to him unlike the ghastly nouveau riche who are just knobs…
I'm glad, I was a bit concerned about Allan and his sundry, such a relief to know all is well.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Even black tea/herbal tea/black coffee/zero calorie drinks aren't allowed - when I asked why not and what difference it made, I got made to feel as if I was an absolute idiot for even considering drinking anything other than water.
What rot. I do IF 16/8 x 5 days a week on water and black coffee. It's fantastic.

Reactions: 4
I don’t change my bedding very often and have the gene where I don’t get BO, so I don’t wash my clothes after every wear either. I never say it on MN because you get a pile-on of people saying you’re grim/vile/must stink (I’d be very happy to meet with any of these women in person so they can sniff my armpits if they want).

At the end of the day, it might not be for you, but who cares what other people do with their lives and in their own houses? It literally doesn’t affect you at all! The money I save on washing I use to have my heating on more 😁

• Sick
Reactions: 8
What's the no BO gene? I've never heard of that. Is it do with sweating?

You're right though, Mumsnet would be falling over themselves to tell you that you must pong like a rancid boiled egg mixed with rotting spinach. A lot of the posters there have no concept that we are all individuals.

• Haha
Confession: I did actually do the low carb Bootcamp for a while, when I had baby weight to lose, and it DID work. I did genuinely feel good when I was doing it

But in the end I couldn’t keep up with all the cooking myself separate things, and I DID miss carbs. Also realised I was lactose intolerant which rather put the brakes on drinking coffee with cream (as delicious as it was) and making “fathead” dough out of mozzarella 🤣

You’re right though, the gatekeepers of those threads are really fierce. I got told off for having salad leaves two days in a row… the bag is open and needs using up people!

These days I try to limit my carb intake but would never bother with proper low carbing again. I love bread and chocolate too much.
It works because you're limiting your intake of calories. Like all diets. They're all different ways of doing the exact same thing.

Reactions: 5
It works because you're limiting your intake of calories. Like all diets. They're all different ways of doing the exact same thing.
That’s not true. If anything, when you’re doing a very low carb plan (low carb high fat), your calorie and fat intake is high.

It works because you put your body into ketosis. Ketosis occurs when your body doesn’t have enough carbs to fuel itself, so it switches to burning fat instead. Keto appealed to me precisely because I didn’t want to count calories.

Reactions: 2
That’s not true. If anything, when you’re doing a very low carb plan (low carb high fat), your calorie and fat intake is high.

It works because you put your body into ketosis. Ketosis occurs when your body doesn’t have enough carbs to fuel itself, so it switches to burning fat instead. Keto appealed to me precisely because I didn’t want to count calories.
I didn't count calories on low carb high fat, you don't count calories, but your caloric intake is still low. Stops you being hungry for one thing.

Actually being in ketosis (which hardly anyone on keto actually is) is highly dangerous, no matter what instagram nutritionists think they know.

That diet is a cult.

A cult sanctioned by MN!

Anyway thanks to this thread I have been perusing style and beauty. Some of those outfits?!?!

Last edited:
  • Haha
All diets help you lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. Cutting out carbs is silly. Cutting out refined carbs would do…in most eating plans for weight loss you do that anyway.

Reactions: 9
The diet threads always make me somewhere between highly amused, and genuinely angry at the amount of shite that gets spouted, all these strange diet rules and dependence on eating things like Mug Shots and Cuppa Soups. Surely it would be a thousand times healthier and probably not many more calories to actually make a huge batch of vegetable soup and have that during the week instead of a cuppa soup? So many of them fixate on losing pounds quickly but completely ignore the idea of starting an actual healthy lifestyle.

All diets help you lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. Cutting out carbs is silly. Cutting out refined carbs would do…in most eating plans for weight loss you do that anyway.
Exactly! Great to cut down on white bread and white pasta and sugary things (although IMO cutting them out completely is pretty joyless). But when those threads start haranguing people for eating pulses and sweet potatoes because they are "too carby"! Bonkers!

The diet threads always make me somewhere between highly amused, and genuinely angry at the amount of shite that gets spouted, all these strange diet rules and dependence on eating things like Mug Shots and Cuppa Soups. Surely it would be a thousand times healthier and probably not many more calories to actually make a huge batch of vegetable soup and have that during the week instead of a cuppa soup? So many of them fixate on losing pounds quickly but completely ignore the idea of starting an actual healthy lifestyle.
Loads of people on those threads can't actually cook for tit. Whenever cooking spray is mentioned I flounce off 😅

• Haha
The sink wash threads were, erm, interesting on MN. Does anyone recall someone's DH/DP calling it a 'bleep's Wash'? Maybe it was around the time of the much referenced penis beaker?

Screenshot_20221107-172446_Chrome.jpg

Beaker's penis?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Loads of people on those threads can't actually cook for tit. Whenever cooking spray is mentioned I flounce off 😅
Oh god tell me about it. There was once a thread, I'm not really sure what the actual question was, but the OP was asking something about her chilli/bolognese recipe. Guess what the recipe was. Beef mince cooked with tinned tomatoes. That's it. No salt or herbs/spices, no veg.

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.