Mumsnet #38 imagine spending £100 on a notebook and writing 'bleach arsehole' in it

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I want to hazard a guess that 80% of the twats on MN who don't like someone using Dr unless it's a medical Dr are saying it a) because they only got 5 O-Levels/GCSEs and have no concept of how hard people work for their higher education and b) are so bleeping s**d that they know it's also because they would get confused and keep forgetting that to have the Dr title does not mean you know how to lance their arse boils.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I want to hazard a guess that 80% of the twats on MN who don't like someone using Dr unless it's a medical Dr are saying it a) because they only got 5 O-Levels/GCSEs and have no concept of how hard people work for their higher education and b) are so bleeping s**d that they know it's also because they would get confused and keep forgetting that to have the Dr title does not mean you know how to lance their arse boils.
Yes. And I absolutely guarantee that if Aloysius or Persephone managed to get a PhD they’d post page after page of how HARD it was, and they’d be Doctoring their arses off every chance they got.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Um, I don’t use my Dr at all outside my professional life, apart from a failed attempt to get a higher credit limit on my credit card. It’s embarrassing and I’m also always vaguely worried someone will come and find me when someone collapses. It’s a bit like those people who get some random honour and then start signing off all the emails ‘Joe Bloggs OBE’.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Have you seen the one about the OPs husband crying on the sofa in his ‘house coat’ because his lifestyle forum has been shut down? 😂

the OP has responded she’d be upset if tattle got shut down but she’d get over it…. So random 😂
This has genuinely just given me a flashback to a repressed memory of my first husband, who had an actual smoking jacket In 1970. With lapels and everything. It might have been quilted velvet.
Oh. My. God. 😱

• Haha
  • Wow
Um, I don’t use my Dr at all outside my professional life, apart from a failed attempt to get a higher credit limit on my credit card. It’s embarrassing and I’m also always vaguely worried someone will come and find me when someone collapses. It’s a bit like those people who get some random honour and then start signing off all the emails ‘Joe Bloggs OBE’.
Oh god you just reminded me of some dick I used to deal with at the Department for Education. He would have regional Zoom/Teams calls and after he got an MBE he added it to his screen name, just to remind us.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
I worked with someone whose initials were D R. He was at the boarding gate at the airport when the attendant said to him that it’s always reassuring to know there is a doctor on board. He explained he wasn’t a doctor but spent the flight petrified there would be a medical emergency.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Actually it has made me snicker a bit at these stories of non medical people being terrified of getting dragged into medical emergencies!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I worked with someone whose initials were D R. He was at the boarding gate at the airport when the attendant said to him that it’s always reassuring to know there is a doctor on board. He explained he wasn’t a doctor but spent the flight petrified there would be a medical emergency.
My DH is a joiner by profession but he does Johns Ambulance volunteering because of his niche but outing hobby of Kite surfing. He's pretty proficient in an accident at sea, to be fair, and knows what to do and why and how quickly, and has got a good reputation for being a top class first aider, bless him. When I am paddle boarding, it's reassuring to know I probably won't die.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I was a travel agent very briefly. The global airline booking system, Galileo, can't take punctuation on names but it's also designed to reject names that it thinks are fake. D'Eath is a real French name but the system doesn't accept it. That was a nightmare...

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I don’t use mine either. Unless I am asked for my title which is rare, and usually shuts the patronising “is it miss or Mrs” bloke up. Cos it’s always a bloke.

Titles should be done away with imo. No point in them except for the “proud to be a Mrs” brigade.

Mine does pop in unexpected places. It’s on my medical records because I used the uni GP for a while.

However anyone telling me I can’t use it will only be allowed to address me as Dr.

It’s always got me great credit though 😂
---

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I was a travel agent very briefly. The global airline booking system, Galileo, can't take punctuation on names but it's also designed to reject names that it thinks are fake. D'Eath is a real French name but the system doesn't accept it. That was a nightmare...
The system would probably explode if a Dr D’Eath tried to book

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
My brother is a doctor and was on a flight when a medical emergency occurred. Someone else volunteered to help before him and he was relieved to be able to continue on with his film and g&t.

• Haha
My sister has a PhD and does use the title. She is always worried on flights they will ask her for help in a medical emergency and all she will be able to do is write a really great historical report on the situation

• Haha
Reactions: 29
My colleague has a PhD but we work at an education institution, think university, so they’re everywhere! We aren’t academics though.

He worked for it, he can call himself the honorific if he likes…

Reactions: 9
This has probably been pointed out before, but some of them are SO bitter about people who work from home.

Most of my friends have recalibrated their bra size in the new way of measuring and now have huge cup sizes. Even I have a C cup now and I was once told by an M&S bra fitter that my breasts were too small to feature on their sizing chart.
Same here.

I immediately adopted the maxim "What God's forgotten, stuff with cotton." (It was from a Doris Day film - I forget which. I saw it over half a century ago)
---
You’d think with all the size walmarts in the US that bra sizes would extend upwards - but I remember going to Lane Bryant (US Evans) and being shocked that the largest size was a DDD or something. If there’s one thing MN does do right, then it’s a bra intervention.

Perhaps if I’d worn a 34F in my yoof instead of a 42C, my knockers wouldn’t currently been knocking on my navel.

*autocarrot said my knickers were knocking on my navel. This is also true. Big pants are where it’s at - that was another stupid thing about yoof - g-strings ffs. These days unless they’re big enough to sail a galleon laden with Spanish gold across the Atlantic, I’m oot.
Big pants are where it’s at - that was another stupid thing about yoof - g-strings ffs. These days unless they’re big enough to sail a galleon laden with Spanish gold across the Atlantic, I’m oot.

I'm with you there @50degreesnorth. - I've tried thongs (many years ago) and found them uncomfortable, unhygienic and unspeakably sordid - went back to Big Knickers*. A colleague who always wore thongs kept banging on about how freeing they were and you also got no visible pantie line. I di point out to her that when your drawers stretch from you knee to your armpits you don't get visible pantie line either.

*Ironically, in view of your post, autocarrot tried to change "knickers" to "knockers", but I caught it in time.
---
Not just French - lots of English D'Eaths and D'Aeths. I think it's Middle English but I wouldn't put money on it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.