Mumsnet #34 beep beep witches!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Luckily I've not gone that insane yet. The one about the lady wanting to buy a handbag for £1.5k. It didn't take long for all the hilarious people to come along and say they would buy an Aldi bag for life and give the rest to charity. And then someone started arguing about trumpets. It all got a bit weird

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Those are annoying. ‘Why do you want to treat yourself to a designer dress for your birthday, OP, when you could get down Peacocks and get this for £19.99?’.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Luckily I've not gone that insane yet. The one about the lady wanting to buy a handbag for £1.5k. It didn't take long for all the hilarious people to come along and say they would buy an Aldi bag for life and give the rest to charity. And then someone started arguing about trumpets. It all got a bit weird
Trumpets? Does she want to keep a trumpet in her handbag, because that would be bleeping brilliant!
Imagine, you are on the bus and a man wants to sit next to you, you could pull out your trumpet and do your best Roy Castle at him, to send him away. Or they are in the supermarket and someone is rude to them (eg. says excuse me, could you pass me a pack of penne please) they could whip out the trumpet and parp away until the horrified person moves on 😂

God I want a trumpet now

• Haha
Reactions: 23
This woman is either a mumsnetter or would make a perfect addition 😂
I hate inheritance threads.

It's not THEIR inheritance, it's their parent's money to spend as they wish. Why should they spend their older years eating Tesco value noodles and maybe renting a caravan in Skegness once a year for a holiday? They've earned the money, let them spend every penny. By referring to their parent's money as theirs, they may as well just say they wish the parents would hurry up and die.

Whenever Mumsnetters go on about the inheritance they expect to get, I always secretly hope that mam and dad live to be 103 and the poor Mumsnetter gets her massive inheritance when she's too old and infirm to blow it on luxury cars, designer clothes and exotic holidays.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
if you’re in town, Wrights chippy on cross street.
Mmmmm I want some chips now
---
This woman is either a mumsnetter or would make a perfect addition 😂
I worked with a woman once- no word of a lie - had holidays left, right & centre then her Dad died- she recieved his jaguar xj6 , then her Mum developed dementia and she was into a care home like greased lightning , but " Luckily" - as my work colleague said - and I quote- " she didn't last long & died so her savings and Dad's pension covered those costs and we inherited the house and investments " 🫥

She was as tight as arseholes. If she had dropped a 10pence piece, it would have hit her on the back of her head as she bent down to pick it up.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
I hate inheritance threads.

It's not THEIR inheritance, it's their parent's money to spend as they wish. Why should they spend their older years eating Tesco value noodles and maybe renting a caravan in Skegness once a year for a holiday? They've earned the money, let them spend every penny. By referring to their parent's money as theirs, they may as well just say they wish the parents would hurry up and die.

Whenever Mumsnetters go on about the inheritance they expect to get, I always secretly hope that mam and dad live to be 103 and the poor Mumsnetter gets her massive inheritance when she's too old and infirm to blow it on luxury cars, designer clothes and exotic holidays.
There was a thread a couple of years ago posted by a woman who had married a man, his mum was dead, his father was old and developing more and more ailments, he also had a sister who lived in a house with a huge garden. The elderly father and sister came to an arrangement where he would sell his house and pay for a house/cabin to be built in the sisters garden and he would live there and then he’d have the sister there for company/care, she would then have the mini house in her garden when he died to add value to her property. The posting woman was very upset that her and her husbands inheritance was being spent to increase the value of the sisters house. She didn’t want the father to live with her or provide care though. So she basically wanted him to live alone and suffer until she died so she could get half the value of his house!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I've known family members to fall out over £500 quid.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
There was a thread a couple of years ago posted by a woman who had married a man, his mum was dead, his father was old and developing more and more ailments, he also had a sister who lived in a house with a huge garden. The elderly father and sister came to an arrangement where he would sell his house and pay for a house/cabin to be built in the sisters garden and he would live there and then he’d have the sister there for company/care, she would then have the mini house in her garden when he died to add value to her property. The posting woman was very upset that her and her husbands inheritance was being spent to increase the value of the sisters house. She didn’t want the father to live with her or provide care though. So she basically wanted him to live alone and suffer until she died so she could get half the value of his house!
IIRC the OP was worried that the sister was trying to bounce the father into selling up giving her the cash and then moving him into a glorified shed in her garden. It sounded well dodgy.

IIRC the OP was worried that the sister was trying to bounce the father into selling up giving her the cash and then moving him into a glorified shed in her garden. It sounded well dodgy.
I remember her saying that but I didn’t believe that was really her worry because it came after everyone saying she was wrong. Who knows though!

It’s a shame we can’t have a system where everyone has a complete stranger assigned to them to deal with all their affairs in all situations eg the right care home, the will, living arrangements etc and everyone would do it to the best of their ability and then we all have someone with no agenda looking out for our affairs. I might take that on dragons den 😂

• Haha
We had similar with an aunt. One child made the parent move in with her as they were increasing less mobile so she could care for them. How nice, we thought. Then the plans for an extension on her home, great, we thought, downstairs annexe so they don’t have to deal with stairs, wet room etc.

Turns out the “extension” was a complete refurbishment and double height extension. No adaptations for disabled living, parent would still have a bedroom and bathroom on the 1st floor.

One of the other siblings has just done probate and it turns out she’d taken control of their money years ago, and spent somewhere in the region of half a mill in the last 3 years. Nothing left for the other two siblings.

Oh and the parent died before the work was finished as it was a two year build so actually never got to live there.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
Think the piss troll might be back again. Started 4 threads in the last few days wanting to talk about their tingly urethra and also bumping older threads about sex and uti's

• Sick
A relative by marriage of mine did something similar to her mother. Got her to sell her home, took her to live with her, big extension paid for with the mother’s money, then chucked the mum out, or she left. She was being treated terribly while there. Shut in her room all the time she was at home and not being fed properly.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
A relative by marriage of mine did something similar to her mother. Got her to sell her home, took her to live with her, big extension paid for with the mother’s money, then chucked the mum out, or she left. She was being treated terribly while there. Shut in her room all the time she was at home and not being fed properly.
That’s disgusting, there was a big expose about abuse in care homes before but the majority of abuse of elderly people is their own children, there needs to be more done about it like checks in place to make sure the persons welfare and best interests are being looked after and the person is being cared for properly, but I suppose that’s never going to be something the government care about.

• Heart
  • Sad
Relatives on my stepfather's side of the family did this to their mother. They persuaded her to sell them her house (big detached house in one of the counties Mumsnetters claim to live in) with the plan that they would turn the garage and utility room into a one bed flat for her, with its own little garden, and the husband and wife would help her day to day as she became more frail, and nurse her at home until the end of her life when the time came. What actually happened was that while mum was fit and well, she was an unpaid babysitter/house keeper. As she got older, she became less useful, and was pretty much ignored. She had microwave meals delivered, she was never invited to eat with the family. When she had a stroke, she apparently was on the floor of her kitchen for 3 days. She went into hospital and then straight into a care home. The couple with the house turned the annex very swiftly into a study and a second sitting room, before she had even passed away. Poor old lady, she thought she was giving up her house to be looked after and be part of the family, but she was just used for her money. My stepdad was really upset but there was nothing he, or anyone else, could do, because the old lady had capacity when she sold them her house. He did tell me that he altered one of the couple's personalised numberplates to bleep 21 though. Sharpies are wonderful pens.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Trumpets? Does she want to keep a trumpet in her handbag, because that would be bleeping brilliant!
Imagine, you are on the bus and a man wants to sit next to you, you could pull out your trumpet and do your best Roy Castle at him, to send him away. Or they are in the supermarket and someone is rude to them (eg. says excuse me, could you pass me a pack of penne please) they could whip out the trumpet and parp away until the horrified person moves on 😂

God I want a trumpet now
That sounds like that bleeping weirdo on MN who "made owl noises" at someone.
---
I remember her saying that but I didn’t believe that was really her worry because it came after everyone saying she was wrong. Who knows though!

It’s a shame we can’t have a system where everyone has a complete stranger assigned to them to deal with all their affairs in all situations eg the right care home, the will, living arrangements etc and everyone would do it to the best of their ability and then we all have someone with no agenda looking out for our affairs. I might take that on dragons den 😂
Like Jury dury.
Although humanity is so fucked there'd still be arseholes who'd just do a tit job for the fun of it.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Relatives on my stepfather's side of the family did this to their mother. They persuaded her to sell them her house (big detached house in one of the counties Mumsnetters claim to live in) with the plan that they would turn the garage and utility room into a one bed flat for her, with its own little garden, and the husband and wife would help her day to day as she became more frail, and nurse her at home until the end of her life when the time came. What actually happened was that while mum was fit and well, she was an unpaid babysitter/house keeper. As she got older, she became less useful, and was pretty much ignored. She had microwave meals delivered, she was never invited to eat with the family. When she had a stroke, she apparently was on the floor of her kitchen for 3 days. She went into hospital and then straight into a care home. The couple with the house turned the annex very swiftly into a study and a second sitting room, before she had even passed away. Poor old lady, she thought she was giving up her house to be looked after and be part of the family, but she was just used for her money. My stepdad was really upset but there was nothing he, or anyone else, could do, because the old lady had capacity when she sold them her house. He did tell me that he altered one of the couple's personalised numberplates to bleep 21 though. Sharpies are wonderful pens.
That’s heartbreaking.

People who choose to homeschool are (supposed to be) checked in some way by the government, there should be something for these situations as well where older people are cared for by their family at home because that’s really disgusting.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.