Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

sixdinnersid83

Chatty Member
Does anyone read the MN subreddit? It used to be pretty good (the Crumbs Christmas calendar still makes me laugh), but now it's literally just the same thing over and over again, posted by the same five or so incredibly humourless and angry people. I don't see the value in pointing out an obvious troll thread that will be deleted in five minutes.
Not any more as it was the same boring group that kept stating the obvious and thinking they were geniuses for spotting it. I give that sub six months to limp on. Especially with that one who keeps name changing and setting up new accounts claiming to have lost her log in details. I get the feeling she keeps being banned.

Reactions: 3

CrimsonCountess

VIP Member
Not only have we lost sight of what a normal weight looks like, apparently we've now lost cooking and shopping as a skill and so no wonder people eat so much processed food

ShopTilYouSlop

Chatty Member
I'm a curly so I'm all about the co washing, but I bet it would work brilliantly for other hair types. It's good for dry and oily hair, since it doesn't strip the hair of natural oils to exacerbate dryness or prompt overproduction of oil to compensate. You have to experiment a bit to find the right products for you but I think it would work well for almost anyone.

alliwantistruth

What about keeping a cold rice salad for a day or so? Presumably that’s ok?
This is what I wanna know too? If you eat it if its been in the fridge and not heating it up, is the bacteria already on it and so it's bad? ☹

Edit - oops sorry, we've moved on! Feel free to ignore 🙈

Last edited:
  • Haha

avabella

VIP Member
I have been banned 4 times.
I have never been a rebel or made controversial posts.

The only thing that seemed to link my bannings was articulation. A couple of my posts were deemed to be press fodder, or coming from a journo. I have seen a few posts in S&B that were staunchly ignored for this reason, but I could relate to them, lol. I have a very academic way of thinking about clothes, about everything really, and I guess this can translate to 'wanky' if you don't know me.

I did post about farting for the NHS during covid and that got reported and deleted immediately. I was trying to make light of things and cheer people up. It was the last time i bothered.
You sound like my kinda person 🙏🏼🙏🏼

• Haha

Serene Serena

VIP Member
I haven't got a daughter but if I did, I definitely wouldn't share her clothes. I wonder what Mumsnetters think if the current trend for mothers and daughters to dress alike?

Moon Face

If you live in a grammar school area and DON'T get your child some extra tuition help then you're really hamstringing them, because every other child is getting help. Both our DCs had some 11+ tutoring. Even though they were both on the 'top table' at their primary and both ended up getting Level 6s in their Year 6 SATs. So according to Mumsnet they should have just merrily skipped into the 11+ exam, without a clue what verbal and non-verbal reasoning even meant, and simply breezed the test.

Yeah, just no.

The 11+ papers are like nothing they will have ever seen before. The questions are phrased weirdly. They use and require a vocabulary that is far beyond that of most 10 year olds. The maths content won't have even been covered in school yet. And to top it all off, your child has only 15 SECONDS to complete each questions. So yes, damn right I got our DCs some 11+ tuition because whilst I knew they were both clever, I also knew they weren't going to be the cleverest kids sitting the exam. And, there was every chance that even the cleverest kids were getting tuition help too. An average child who has had extensive 11+ tutoring is always going to outperform a clever child who has never seen an 11+ paper before.

The arrant shite peddled on Mumsnet about 'Oh if they're clever they just don't need tutoring' [tinkly laugh] is fucking dangerous. A lot of parents who are unfamiliar with the 11+ often buy into this bullshit, and their children miss out on grammar school places as a result. Whereas, Mrs Tinkly Laugh has been quietly tutoring little Hugo since Year 4.

Sorry, rant over. Just something I feel very strongly about.
I don't live in a grammar area, so my opinion is probably based on rubbish, but my sister went to a selective secondary and my nephew to a Birmingham Grammar. I think there is probably a fine line between familiarising a child with the papers ensuring they are properly prepared and tutoring them within an inch of their life. My sister very much could easily identify those who actually weren't capable of keeping up with the standards expected.

However both of those schools were / are creaming off the absolute top layer, in a grammar school area I would be there with the books and coaching.

FunnyFuneral

VIP Member
There's no such thing as an 'adoption certificate'. Even if she was dumped on a doorstep, she would have had her birth registered and been given a name, with the parents' details listed as unknown, but she would always get a birth certificate.

Adoption is a legal process, so you don't get a certificate, you get a court order. You might get notification that the court records were sealed, but nowadays you can apply to get them unsealed if you are the child (now adult) who is the subject of the order to get details, if any, of your birth parents.

So yeah, definitely didn't happen.
There definitely is such a thing, or used to be. My late husband had one which showed his place and date of birth and original name, but no parental names on it .

Vroomvroom

Chatty Member
Looks like I can generate codes but don’t have a Mumsnet account anymore so can't share them. I still read there but won't post as in the main it's a load of nonsense and I can't be arsed to argue with idiots! 😆

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Well, quite. Both my parents passed the 11+ in the 1950s when just about every child sat the exam and there was zero prep. It was much more egalitarian then. My Dad grew up in a council house and his parents were factory workers. My Mum grew up in naice, leafy suburb and her Dad was a solicitor.

But today it is far from a level playing field. You need to know the (hidden) rules of the game. The overwhelming majority of the pupils at our grammar school had some form of 11+ tuition. And the overwhelming majority of the pupils had no problem, whatsoever, in keeping up.

There is a huge council estate within walking distance of our grammar school and very few kids from there pass the 11+. I know it's because their parents are 'out of the loop' and simply don't know the (hidden) rules. It infuriates me because if my Dad had been born today he would most likely NOT have passed the 11+.
Same for my my mum. Council house upbringing, her dad worked in the local steel works. She hated it at Grammar school though and said she wishes she’d gone to the secondary modern where they did more practical stuff instead.

Reactions: 2

VC10

VIP Member
I haven’t tried Tony’s chocolate, I don’t think I’m middle class enough
I bloody love galaxy tho!
DD has some interesting names in her school. I used to judge when I looked at the pegs in reception at her old school. Maybe I should start to eat Tony’s chocolates and wear sacks? 👀
Mmmm, galaxy..... 😃😍

Reactions: 2