Mumsnet #26 Fanny wafts and meany pegs, what goes on in mumsnetters heads?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm waiting for the coco pops in Xmas stocking thread to start a pile on. So far no one has mentioned it's like giving your child cocaine and this is why we have an obesity crisis.
Has anyone threatened to call SS on the OP yet?
I bloody wish I could have fobbed my kids off with breakfast cereal in their stockings.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
"Celtic sweater. So warm. And never needs washing. It's as if it self cleans!"

From WAYWT... either it smells really bad, or she's very neat and tidy and never spills anything down herself. My money's on the first.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 10

From WAYWT... either it smells really bad, or she's very neat and tidy and never spills anything down herself. My money's on the first.
I don’t believe any sweater never needs washing, especially as Mumsnetters are always going on about smelling of wet dog. I bet people back away in disgust when she saunters into work, showcasing her Celtic sweater 😂😂😂

• Haha
There are times when no contact is best (it used to be called estrangement) but in most of these cases, they aren't actually going NC, they're just refusing to speak to someone, which is actually a very different thing with a different purpose (manipulation). In the cases where a family member is an hole but not in some actually life-ruining way, it's often better just to go low contact if you truly want the least drama that causes the least trouble for innocent family members. Not always, of course, but very often, and certainly with many of the cases presented on MN.
Do you think so? My older sister stopped talking to me 12 years ago and I’m still not 100% sure why, I haven’t seen or had any contact with her or her family since 2011, I did miss her in the early days but I don’t often think about her anymore. To be honest life has been quite peaceful and straightforward without the drama. My younger sister also decided to ‘take sides’ and cut me off too but again it hasn’t affected me particularly, there have been no big life events such as weddings or funerals to attend.

Don’t get me wrong it is sad when families are fractured - but for me I think I just had no choice but to accept that this is what my siblings wanted, if we did reconcile what’s to say it wouldn’t have happened all over again? And I don’t have the time for it!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Do you think so? My older sister stopped talking to me 12 years ago and I’m still not 100% sure why, I haven’t seen or had any contact with her or her family since 2011, I did miss her in the early days but I don’t often think about her anymore. To be honest life has been quite peaceful and straightforward without the drama. My younger sister also decided to ‘take sides’ and cut me off too but again it hasn’t affected me particularly, there have been no big life events such as weddings or funerals to attend.

Don’t get me wrong it is sad when families are fractured - but for me I think I just had no choice but to accept that this is what my siblings wanted, if we did reconcile what’s to say it wouldn’t have happened all over again? And I don’t have the time for it!
Obviously I don't know what happened, but yes, if you'd done something to upset your sister and she wasn't prepared to talk about it, then I think your family would have suffered far less if she'd simply seen and spoken to you less, and been civil if not actually affectionate. A dramatic cutting off like that is intended to cause trouble, and it did. Low contact rather than no contact.

And if someone has decided to cut you off, there's not much you can do, is there? It wasn't your decision.

I'm sorry you've had to go through that.

Reactions: 5
There's a steaming pile of bullshit in AIBU now called "DH lied WTF do I do"

Starts off saying her DH is a fantasist and MIL has told her the truth that he was never in the army
Then comes a massive drip feed about how he's made veiled threats about killing people and has smashed things in the house and she constantly walks on eggshells
Now she's being rescued by her mum

It's ironic that it's about a guy weaving a fantasy life because I'm 100% sure the thread is a fantasy. It's like someone trying out ideas for a Netflix pitch.

Reactions: 12

We don't have anything to do with 3 members & life's much better for all of us without, hand on my heart

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hi everyone, just got a referral code from Mumsnet so I'm finally free of that place (thank you!). After a warning and a suspension I've come to the conclusion that I just can't hold my tongue in the face of the blatant troll posts and high horses. I keep trying to walk away but I do find it strangely compelling to view from afar so I've been lurking this thread for ages.

Going back to the current discussion, I've been estranged from a relative who just refused to talk to me one day. No explanation or attempt to discuss. In fact they'd been making plans for us to meet up for a coffee not too long before that so it was a real surprise. I often laugh to myself thinking they must have asked Mumsnet for advice! I don't think the keyboard warriors there ever advocate talking about anything, it's always flouncing, no contact, LTB with very little consideration for the real life implications.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

I cut off my half siblings due to their behaviour. We never had a relationship and since our shared parent died, they only cared about a massive inheritance that was never there. Not once did they reach out at the funeral or after. They spend their life sharing horrible statuses about me on Facebook while I’ve moved on. I have some amazing friends who have always been auntie and uncles to my children unlike them.

• Sad
  • Heart

Celtic sweater? She means an Aaran jumper right? That we sell to tourists for stupid prices.
I got one as a present years ago and it was itchy as duck, hated the thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Celtic sweater? She means an Aaran jumper right? That we sell to tourists for stupid prices.
I got one as a present years ago and it was itchy as duck, hated the thing.
I was wondering what the feck a Celtic jumper was when it was at home too. I could only imagine a Fair Isle jumper or some sort of Aran jumper or similar cable knit geansaí/ gansey/ guernsey.
And they can all benefit from a careful wash now and again.

Reactions: 7
There’s nothing quite like a sour ‘pit smell in a greasy jumper ☹

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
It's possible they are a teeny tiny that doesn't ever sweat. When you only eat half a rice cracker and a blade of grass a day, your body conserves energy by turning off those sorts of basic functions.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
In S&B, 'unsure what to wear to a party'. OP posted a link to a dress that she likes. It's £3700😮😮😮😮

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I can't remember what ND's new username is, I keep looking out for it to see what tit she has come out with now but no luck so far

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.