Mumsnet #26 Fanny wafts and meany pegs, what goes on in mumsnetters heads?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is a reply to a post asking what time do you think there’s no point getting dressed for the day and just staying in your pj’s. Is a ramble different to a walk?!
View attachment 2566798
I think you’ll find that walking is for the working classes, where they use it to get to *shudders* employment or the shops. Rambling is for the middle classes, and it’s where you dress up in your finest Joules and Boden, drive half-an-hour the nearest National Trust place, and spend less time than the actual drive dragging Octavia and Theo along a carefully marked trail whilst shouting at the labrador to ‘put that down now, darling’.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
I wonder what the difference is between a chavvy storm and a posh storm? Do the chavvy ones only take out council houses (omg shock horror poors) and the posh ones stately homes (omg dog hair will be EVERYWHERE)?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
For people who are, if you believe the google stats, 'educated and decently off' the MN demographic spend a heck of a lot of time worrying about chaviness.
If you don't live near chavs, have to deal with chavs or have them puking all over your front garden, then I would imagine they wouldn't even register to you.

Brings me to the conclusion that a lot of the so-called stats are actually bollocks. Perhaps the MN demographic typifies a section of the UK population who want to get away from fears of chaviness rather than having succeeded in their efforts to do so? And this is why they constantly need to ask what is chavvy or what is MC.
A confidently MC or UMC parent would name their child whatever they desired. Same with confidently WC or 'chavvy' parents. They wouldn't need guidance from a parenting website. If you need to locate signifiers in an attempt to up your social standing then you are more likely to belong to an insecure class, whatever that might be.

Mumsnet is likely, over all, a mix of every class, but prefers to be perceived as better off (unless there's a housing thread, when all of a sudden all of these apparently aristocratic mums suddenly boast of being brought up on a council estate).

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I think you’ll find that walking is for the working classes, where they use it to get to *shudders* employment or the shops. Rambling is for the middle classes, and it’s where you dress up in your finest Joules and Boden, drive half-an-hour the nearest National Trust place, and spend less time than the actual drive dragging Octavia and Theo along a carefully marked trail whilst shouting at the labrador to ‘put that down now, darling’.
And IF they venture into Waitrose ( the ONLY supermarket they consider) they wear Green Wellingtons 😃😃😆

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I wonder what the difference is between a chavvy storm and a posh storm? Do the chavvy ones only take out council houses (omg shock horror poors) and the posh ones stately homes (omg dog hair will be EVERYWHERE)?
A chavvy storm deposits a washing machine, a ford cortina on bricks and an XL bully in your unkempt front garden whereas a posh storm splashes soup down your front and a Labrador in a classic car on your driveway 😜

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
I probably haven't posted enough to be able to generate one...how do you find out if you can? A kind MNer gave me mine, I hope she doesn't regret it.
I think you have to be a VIP tattler member to generate one.

I did it once for an MNer but afterwards paused and hoped they weren't a complete wanker so haven't done it since! It's a one time only code.

Reactions: 2
Found it! Titled "To feel dislike for this mum" in AIBU.
I had a look at this thread, I love the jealousy threads, there is always at least one poster who says ‘I’ve never understood jealousy, I genuinely can’t get my head around it, I just DON’T GET IT, how can anyone be jealous?’ OK we get it, you are above it! Well done 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 11
For people who are, if you believe the google stats, 'educated and decently off' the MN demographic spend a heck of a lot of time worrying about chaviness.
If you don't live near chavs, have to deal with chavs or have them puking all over your front garden, then I would imagine they wouldn't even register to you.

Brings me to the conclusion that a lot of the so-called stats are actually bollocks. Perhaps the MN demographic typifies a section of the UK population who want to get away from fears of chaviness rather than having succeeded in their efforts to do so? And this is why they constantly need to ask what is chavvy or what is MC.
A confidently MC or UMC parent would name their child whatever they desired. Same with confidently WC or 'chavvy' parents. They wouldn't need guidance from a parenting website. If you need to locate signifiers in an attempt to up your social standing then you are more likely to belong to an insecure class, whatever that might be.

Mumsnet is likely, over all, a mix of every class, but prefers to be perceived as better off (unless there's a housing thread, when all of a sudden all of these apparently aristocratic mums suddenly boast of being brought up on a council estate).
I think the average MNer is middle class, but not as middle class as they want to be.

Hence the obsession with class signifiers and being "classy", but the collective outrage and piety over expensive weddings or anything involving truly significant wealth.

It's a weird and jarring contradiction.

Reactions: 7
I had a look at this thread, I love the jealousy threads, there is always at least one poster who says ‘I’ve never understood jealousy, I genuinely can’t get my head around it, I just DON’T GET IT, how can anyone be jealous?’ OK we get it, you are above it! Well done 🙄
I’m well jealous of her.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
MN is obsessed with the term chav and the connotations. especially when it comes to names.

Anyway I don’t believe for one minute this poster is from a council estate but they put it in there to justify a stupid post.

8 pages in and MN are lapping it up
My god, the snobbery is intense!

Reactions: 7
The Tattle codes thread is going wild! As a PBP I can only lurk on MN, but I;d like to think anyone offering codes has seriously vetted the MNer!

Reactions: 11
Surely you can just reregister?
Yeah I could but as it is I can lurk/follow threads and hopefully piss off their algorhythm by not responding to reply with whatever they need to make me a full member again. Also means I am not drawn into arguments and have to resort to sitting on my hands in the face of complete twattishness!

Reactions: 4
I’ve been banned twice, once for telling someone to duck off and generally being a bit snippy with some of the thickos on there and the second time for making up a parking thread when I was drunk one night. I just used a VPN and was straight back in though I think they managed to lose all the banned IPs somewhere along the line.

I do still post occasionally but I find the site annoys me too much. I started reading Tattle a few months ago and a kind member gave me a code so I could join. I much prefer it here, posters on Tattle mostly seem to be able to discuss stuff like normal adults, have a laugh and not be sanctimonious head tilty cunts.
Am I the only one dying to know which parking thread?

Reactions: 1
The Tattle codes thread is going wild! As a PBP I can only lurk on MN, but I;d like to think anyone offering codes has seriously vetted the MNer!
I’ve given away my 4 codes and I interviewed them in depth before handing them over 😂😂😂

Nobody who wears Sister Jane dresses, earns six figures or pretends to, talks about what class they are, disses benefits claimants without knowing the situation, argues with their neighbours and brags about their eating disorder, is allowed on Tattle.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.