Mumsnet #10 Freedom for DDog

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone else noticed the weird, lazy replies when an OP uses a measurement system others aren’t familiar with? If someone told me their weight and height in metrics on a post I’m just going to pop them into google to convert, but these MNers reply “don’t know what you’re going on about? Please repost using a weights and measures scale I am familiar with”

ah yes okay, Paula, what would you like? Happy to provide my weight in gallons and my height by hectare? Would this help?
For some strange reason, posters who do that obviously think it makes them look clever.

Similarly if someone uses a phrase or heaven forbid a colloquialism, it attracts them like flies to dung.
'What do you mean, OP, I have never heard of <insert word or phrase that can easily be figured out from the context>'
x 100. 🙄

Reactions: 12
I have been trying to research why my toddler doesn’t eat and came across a thread of someone saying the OP was just fussy and she doesn’t have fussy children because she reheats the same meal over and over at every meal time often for days until they eat it😳

• Wow
  • Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
For some strange reason, posters who do that obviously think it makes them look clever.

Similarly if someone uses a phrase or heaven forbid a colloquialism, it attracts them like flies to dung.
'What do you mean, OP, I have never heard of <insert word or phrase that can easily be figured out from the context>'
x 100. 🙄
When Shannon Matthews went missing and her mother reported it to the police, the call handler asked Karen Matthews ‘what do they call her?’ and the over analysis of that phrase went on FOREVER on MN. They were just asking what her name was, but in regional terms! It ticked the boxes of 1) the MN forensic analysts are on the case ✅ 2) not understanding that people who live outside of London have different phrasing for things and it’s not that bleeping deep ✅

• Haha
I hate the people on most of those fussy eaters threads... "no kid will ever starve itself" "disguise veggies in a sauce" "never give in, they'll eat eventually" blah de bleeping blah. They've never met mine!

Reactions: 18

x 100. 🙄
I did get pissed off with an American though who posted a complicated tale about the temperature in her house, throwing in random numbers “it’s 20 below at night”. Couldn’t figure out whether she was living in the Antarctic or somewhere more normal, or what she meant at all.

she was asked repeatedly to clarify whether she meant 20 degrees below 0 Celsius, 20 degrees C, 20 degrees f, or what. Even when pointed out most mn are uk based and used C, that confused them even more.

Didn’t have a clue. Still no idea on whether she’s freezing her arse off in the far reaches of an Alaskan winter.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
I hate the people on most of those fussy eaters threads... "no kid will ever starve itself" "disguise veggies in a sauce" "never give in, they'll eat eventually" blah de bleeping blah. They've never met mine!
Bulk them up with lentils and fill their hollow legs. Or something.. 😁

I feel sorry for anyone genuinely seeking advice on there, it's trolled so much.

Reactions: 9
I really like the blackout eyelet curtains from dunelm, they're a great price and feel really thick and good quality. Does that make me lower class scum?

• Haha
Reactions: 11
so irritating isn’t it🙈he defo does not eat eventually and is more than happy to starve him self or he’d not be on the 0.2 percentile 👊🏼

Reactions: 5
Hi everyone, I’ve not posted on this thread before and I’ve skimmed a few pages back and not seen this mentioned, but sorry if you’ve already discussed it!

I love my twice daily mumsnet-scroll ritual, I think it’s genuinely a really great place for support on certain topics if the thread stays small/respectful, but the rest of it just makes me howl 🤣

anyway, my current gripe - has anyone noticed there’s a specific poster going on loads of AIBU threads and passive-aggressively saying they should have posted on another board and not AIBU? I’m desperate to tell them to get a life 🤣 it’s a bloody message board, who cares? Besides, there’s topics for literally everything - if everyone posted only on the specifically relevant topic then there’d be no posts left in AIBU 🤣

• Haha
Hi everyone, I’ve not posted on this thread before and I’ve skimmed a few pages back and not seen this mentioned, but sorry if you’ve already discussed it!

I love my twice daily mumsnet-scroll ritual, I think it’s genuinely a really great place for support on certain topics if the thread stays small/respectful, but the rest of it just makes me howl 🤣

anyway, my current gripe - has anyone noticed there’s a specific poster going on loads of AIBU threads and passive-aggressively saying they should have posted on another board and not AIBU? I’m desperate to tell them to get a life 🤣 it’s a bloody message board, who cares? Besides, there’s topics for literally everything - if everyone posted only on the specifically relevant topic then there’d be no posts left in AIBU 🤣
There are some sad wannabe mods on Mumsnet - Sparklingbrook, I am looking at you ;)

I like reading out the trending topics to whoever is around just to see their reaction - and deciding which one to click on first.

Just now there's
  1. Doctors ignoring me
  2. These messages are not innocent right
  3. Standing for women Glasgow 5th Feeb
  4. Taking a house you don't really want
  5. Drunk teen shouldn't be in paeds A&E

• Haha
me tryna work it out
My daughter (sorry, DD) had a nursery pal whose grandparents were extremely MNetty, we met them at the park one day and they asked how old mine was, I told them something like “she’s 3 at the end of June” and they nodded away and said something like “you mean she’s 32 and a half months then?” Nope, I meant she was somewhere between her 2nd and 3rd birthday and I wasn’t about to give them her age in months because I stopped doing that after she hit 1.5.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Sunday, the day vicious house wives get their claws out on mumsnet
Have any of you recently taken your free half an hour with a solicitor? Don’t delay, the offer isn’t always available!

• Haha
There are some sad wannabe mods on Mumsnet - Sparklingbrook, I am looking at you ;)

I like reading out the trending topics to whoever is around just to see their reaction - and deciding which one to click on first.

Just now there's
  1. Doctors ignoring me
  2. These messages are not innocent right
  3. Standing for women Glasgow 5th Feeb
  4. Taking a house you don't really want
  5. Drunk teen shouldn't be in paeds A&E
I usually glance at the trending ones too but sometimes go no further. 😁

I do think there's merit in encouraging posters to realise that there's a lot more to the site than AIBU. It might revitalise quieter sections, posters might actually get decent advice and maybe it might even discourage the endless trolling and the 'I speak as I find' types.

That's something for the actual mods though to attempt, of course, not the would-be ones. 😁

Reactions: 4
On the husband is having an affair thread. She hasn’t suggested she’s in the Middle East, she’s probs in the UK like 90% of Mumsnet. So you think it’s helpful to post a what if post with a constructed narrative just in case? 😐 🐪

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
I’m calling bullshit on this thread:
But there's a photo and everything! To be honest, it just looks like an infected spot. I don't see how it's caused her to lose tons of weight though. It's not pressing on her jaw. She needs to stick a needle in it and give it a good squeeze ;)

• Haha
Anyone read the Islamic divorce one in relationships? Woman sounds as mad as a hatter and/or trying to provoke anti muslim feeling. She's had some really good advice but seems to be ignoring it all.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.