Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

cccccccmmmmmmmmm

Sorry if this is not what you guys want to hear, but I feel like it's maybe relevant at this point in the thread.

There are always going to be people with more money than us, or a bigger house, or richer parents, or prettier children, or a better holiday. There are also people with way less money than us, people with husbands/partners who beat them, people who are homeless, etc etc. It's just life.

If watching someone on YouTube or instagram is genuinely making you feel sad and unhappy with your own life, it's maybe time to stop following them. Because your own self-esteem and mental wellbeing are really important, and too precious to allow them to become dented by what you're consuming on social media.

And no, before you ask, I"m not Katie, but I do watch some of her YouTube videos and I think she has way more integrity than the vast majority of mummy floggers.

Absolutely no offence intended by this post to anybody at all, I just felt saddened by what I'd read in some of the posts above.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
As much as I like her, their “travelling” is several trips to America and a couple of sponsored Europe and Dubai holidays. They’re not that well traveled.
But surely it’s all about perspective. Where you perhaps don’t think her travels are ‘travels’. To the next person (myself), it may seem like such wonderful places to go.

I personally feel very inspired by her page. At the end of the day, it’s a social media platform/highlight reel, whatever you want to call it. She lives (in my opinion) such a wonderful life. The humdrum day to day life, I can relate to. And looking forward to your next adventure (I relate to) albeit her humdrum house is MUCH nicer than mine, and her adventure are way more extravagant than mine, but that is life. There are always people with bigger, better fortune. Then there’s people who are less fortunate. Social media is such a double edged sword for a lot of these ‘influencers’ but Katie is one who I have so much time and respect for. Unfortunately though, when you put yourself in the watchful eye of Thousands....your going to get picked apart. But she seriously does what we all say we want.... she’s super transparent, she’s replies to most if not all, she’s picky with what she chooses, all her ads genuinely suit her lifestyle, and she responds to criticism so well. She’s always willing to open a discussion...not just block and delete. And I know this is a ‘trash’ thread, but I really do have a lot of time for her.

Reactions: 26

Pushyplumb

VIP Member
Her children are beautiful and definitely not unclean or unkempt.Personally I would much rather see children in comfy clothes and messy hair than pristine clothing they are too scared to have fun in with a trillion bows in their hair.

• Heart
Reactions: 24

Pushyplumb

VIP Member
Don't shot me down but at least she is very transparent with anything that is free, her travel vlogs are always informative and she doesn't always do the tourist things. You can tell she worked in the travel industry before doing this and I don't think her children are overexposed on her channel. Shame she is with CM otherwise I would still watch her.

Reactions: 23

PennyLane

I have to be completely honest and say that Katie is the only instamum I feel jealous of. I don't envy the others but Katie seems to have the whole package. Great home, lovely kids and husband who doesn't seem like a dick compared to some of them 🤣 She is giving her kids the experiences I could only dream of.

And she just seems so genuinely bloody nice. I don't begrudge her any of it at all because of this, but yes, I do get the odd twinge of jealousy

Reactions: 21

Beyondthebrink

On the topic of oversharing her children's photos. Remember that she found a family photo of themselves inside a frame in a show home! She saw that as some kind of 'sign' to move house. Personally, I'd have seen it as a massive wake up call that I'd overshared my children's identities online.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20

meetmeinthemiddle

I really Katie, and her travel content is amazing - she never puts a foot wrong! However, what I think she's doing really well is reading the negativity (maybe on here) and doing something about it - everything has changed to her name, and the older girls are not so heavily featured. She is starting to think about their digital footprints and safety. She's leading the way here and I think this is commendable. I'm still not fond of buying shit loads of trinkets though and making it aspirational ...

Reactions: 19

TheGreatestShowman

Chatty Member
Really disappointed with Katie’s very public “welcome back “ message to Mrs Meldrum. Thought she was stronger than that.

Katie refers heavily to her pride in her daughter playing a heavily male dominated sport and breaking down the barriers of females in football, she can have a voice on prejudice when she wants to.

None of these “ influencers” can have failed to notice the absence of Mrs Meldrum or the reasons why. Yet none of them have had the backbone to voice an opinion on the matter in hand - the apparent acceptability of a racist comment on a public platform.
What makes the situation worse is that Rebeca Meldrum has not apologised and shows no understanding of why she offended people.

When it comes down to it, these female influencers genuinely care more about being
“ in the gang “ than actually making a difference to the world. It’s a false and shallow way to exist and not representative in any way of strong female role models or even true female support.

To me, these are not influential people in anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
I think what people need to start waking up to is that ALL of these “influencers” are in it to MAKE MONEY. It’s a business venture. Everything they post is thought about, calculated and posted for a purpose.
These people are not your friend or “just a normal mummy, trying to make a few pennies” - they are business women, making a LOT of money and enjoying many many benefits besides.

Katie Ellison is no different

She’s found her little niche and what works for her - play the inoffensive, middle of the road, never have a strong opinion about anything, everyone’s mate angle. Keep everyone onside.

What you see is not real
- it’s a fantasy that they cultivate to maximise money making potential.

Reactions: 18

Hereagain

I like her, and I think she is different to the others, hence why some of us like to hold her in a different regard. She is always VERY clear on ads which for lots of us in the main bugbear of many influencers, she’s always replied to messages and comments, again not all do, yes her repetitive we’re so grateful is a bit grating however I believe she feels that way, and if she didn’t say that lots of people would be here saying she doesn’t have a clue that most of us can’t afford this stuff/experiences. I also really like her for having careful control over her content and not sharing anything negative of the children as that’s not fair on them, so we don’t see the big tantrums or moods all kids have played out all the time.
Plus I think that the quality of her stuff is excellent, in terms of her video editing, photography, brand work, attention to detail in house stuff which I think is important for someone wanting to be in the interiors ‘influencer’ space.
That’s me done! I felt strongly enough about some of the recent comments that I wanted to add my view, just like those above.

Reactions: 17

mechanicmum

The amount you're talking about is actual fortunes to me. I think people forget that other people on the internet are poor, we are not all middle class home owners. Having the opportunity to have a home like that is like a wildest wish to me. And there is no way for me to change my situation either. I won't go into details but there are plenty of situations where no matter how hard we work, there is no way for some of us to earn enough money to ever ever become a homeowner. So sometimes, this whole instamum phenomenon can really be detrimental because women talking about how they are making a home for their children, giving their children opportunities & making magical memories with them, when all these things are out of your wildest dreams is really heartbreaking. When they are presenting themselves as your friend/girl next door mum pal, it's really bitter to swallow

• Heart
Reactions: 17

fireflies

VIP Member
I really like Katie.

She treats you tube and related social media professionally like a job.
Her previous back ground was marketing and social media and it shows.

Shes a real flair for travel vlogs.
Shes not simply gifted a package or resort holiday.
She does her research she plans every detail like usa road trip around California. Even her uk breaks are interesting.

She always replies to messages and comments.

I visibly see her in her office working.

Most if her videos are not soley about the kids.

Her and her husband seem really sweet.
Hes not at all fame hungry and has his own career.

Katie comes across really sweet caring and funny like the kind person you would want to be freinds with.

Love her interior style.
Her fashions a little quirky.
She pays attention to every detail.
Theres not huge amounts gifted or ads.
But when she does ads they not annoying.

Reactions: 15

Justreading

VIP Member
I just think she's clever with money. They use brand work wisely. She never accepts shit AD after shit AD like others. She puts lots of work into one big AD rather than lots of little ones!
The sofas there are the first brand new sofas they ever had. You don't see her doing cleaning product hauls or home bargains crap hauls! She seems to invest in good pieces that last. They don't go OTT at Christmas or Birthdays etc.

They don't even seem to have takeaways or meals out for no reason. It's an occasion. I just don't think she wastes money!

I'm new here (come from hearing about it on BrummyMummys stories!!!), but I really like Katie, she's always replied to any comments and messages and in my opinion she comes across as honest and likeable - not like some of the others who never acknowledge that they even have followers who try to interact with them.
I like watching her stories and read her blogs living in hope that one day I will take my own children on similar trips!

I appreciate how honest and transparent she is. There's always a sense of self deprecating humour too, like she knows she can be a bit rambling and boring. A lovely family who respect each other and very humble with what they have and opportunities they get.
I don't know if I'm reading into things too much here but I find it really funny how recently she seems to drop little hints about how opposed she is to mrs meldrums shenanigans. Around dlp gate she posted about how she will always be honest re ads etc, then when mrs m promoted desenio she mentioned she would never buy mass produced art and showed us independent art around her house, then she mentioned during vlogmas that she wasn't a filming because one of her daughters was ill (opposite of mrs m again at the same time she just filmed an ill poppy). Then mrs m asked for collabs on a week of outfits and Katie didn't take her up on the opportunity and a couple of days after mrs m's YT vids Katie did one with brummy mummy. She's like the anti-meldrum but I always see her commenting on reb and lees instagrams ??

EdgyLegend

VIP Member
I'd rather see kids with dishevelled (but clean) hair like Katie's rather than a perfect doll like Ash Reid's Ella...she looks like she'd never be allowed to splash in a puddle, climb a tree or be a child in general!

mechanicmum

I've decided not to post on tattle anymore. It's too elitist & middle class here for me. I was hoping I would be allowed to have a voice & opinion over here, that it would be more inclusive than Instagram. But it's just more of the same "you should prioritise", "I worked hard" rhetoric. There's nowhere to go where people can empathise with people who feel sidelined by the instamum 'im just like you guys' sales pitch

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14