MOD & FOD #6 Hanging out with a secret nanny, doing admin on my fanny

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know he’s joking about what he’d do if he won the Lotto but you know when those jokes run a little close to home? He’s on his stories saying he’d move out straight away and that the taxi is already booked.

He’s always digging at Clemmie and seems quite happy to give the impression they don’t get on that well and that he’s the put upon husband (which, actually, he probably is given how much she swans about).

Reactions: 15
A couple of people commenting about not having scans being dangerous. Clemmie has responded that there is a disclaimer in the podcast stating that you should speak to your midwife. She is a bloody midwife apparently!
See this is what infuriates me about her, she makes a living out of selling a lifestyle yet waffles on like some women will not be swayed by her crackpot guest because of course no one is influenced by what they read and listen to are they? But because of her stupid disclaimer at the beginning she feels she can be exonerated if anyone follows this twerps example and comes a cropper and even if only one woman opts for no scan that's one too many, Clemmie have new teeth, sell your crappy jewellery and encourage your gormless gurning husband but don’t mess with babies lives you bloody sell out

Reactions: 18
Just playing devils advocate here - where do you expect her to draw the line? If someone talks about formula feeding is she expected to talk about the risks? If someone talks about their choice to homebirth after a previous CS does she have to go into the ins & outs of the risks? I trust that women aren’t going to listen to a woman in a podcast and suddenly make risky birth choices. The woman she interviewed is, in my eyes, bloody lucky as I know women who declined scans with horrendous outcomes - but it’s her birth story to tell, whether you agree with her choices or not.

Reactions: 1
Just playing devils advocate here - where do you expect her to draw the line? If someone talks about formula feeding is she expected to talk about the risks? If someone talks about their choice to homebirth after a previous CS does she have to go into the ins & outs of the risks? I trust that women aren’t going to listen to a woman in a podcast and suddenly make risky birth choices. The woman she interviewed is, in my eyes, bloody lucky as I know women who declined scans with horrendous outcomes - but it’s her birth story to tell, whether you agree with her choices or not.
There aren’t any risks with formula feeding a baby, only greater advantages in most situations to the baby to breast feed; And yes to the rest of your questions. I would expect her to as a midwife discuss the risks as that is her unique selling point, otherwise what makes her so special and why should we listen to her podcast over any podcasting mum. At least that was my take. No people absolutely shouldn’t follow or be influenced by a woman on a podcast but that’s not the reality and when things come across as beautiful, shiny and glorious it seems to be human nature to shrive for that. Not everyone, but definitely a lot of women feel that way. Just a little example, all of the poor lovely ladies who fell down the spending trap of influencers and are now or have been in debt due to it. I don’t really care if someone decides to have medical intervention or not during their pregnancy but I do think it is the point of saint clemmie, the midwife doing a podcast, people want to hear from a midwife on pregnancy and birth, so she needs to think about that weight before she does things, but of course she won’t. She’s a bloody idiot. Also, nothing against you SilverSpoonNotIncluded at all.

Reactions: 17
Just watched FOD stories - first thing he does is create a ‘story’ filming his small daughter asleep on the floor, my first thought would be to check she was ok and take her back to bed

Reactions: 4
She could discuss the potential dangers relating to not having a scan in more detail, perhaps it’s just me but if you are going to have someone talking about engaging in potentially risky behaviour the risks need to be clearly emphasised at length not skimmed over and if you put yourself on a public platform you have to be accountable on some level especially when it revolves around your job but that’s just my opinion I work in the legal profession so I know we are bollocked if we don’t make people absolutely aware of all potential repercussions like I say just my opinion

Reactions: 10
I know he’s joking about what he’d do if he won the Lotto but you know when those jokes run a little close to home? He’s on his stories saying he’d move out straight away and that the taxi is already booked.

He’s always digging at Clemmie and seems quite happy to give the impression they don’t get on that well and that he’s the put upon husband (which, actually, he probably is given how much she swans about).
New to here but this caught my eye. The other day when she was ignoring the kids when out for lunch. The daughter who was doing his hair saying “mummy, mummy look at your husband. The look he gave her was like am I? Half looking for confirmation. Then pans to her making this face. Total awkward 😬
CC9CB3EE-F877-4473-A376-66FF26612966.jpeg 4C3D7535-6ED3-4E8C-88CD-57568A391423.jpeg

Reactions: 6
She could discuss the potential dangers relating to not having a scan in more detail, perhaps it’s just me but if you are going to have someone talking about engaging in potentially risky behaviour the risks need to be clearly emphasised at length not skimmed over and if you put yourself on a public platform you have to be accountable on some level especially when it revolves around your job but that’s just my opinion I work in the legal profession so I know we are bollocked if we don’t make people absolutely aware of all potential repercussions like I say just my opinion
This is what I find bizarre. She has created an extremely affluent lifestyle by creating a career out of INFLUENCING people. Not only is it a career getting people to buy into her, it’s nothing like her actual career she has based her USP on. As a midwife she built up a following of 67k people who liked and admired her as a midwife, she then gained loads of followers off Simon and changed her name to match his. She now makes money off this but puts it all under the business Gasandair which stems from her midwifery blog but now incorporates selling small blond children, sickly pink tiles, atrocious black taps and showers whilst constantly begging for freebies.
When I asked my midwives and health visitors advice they frequently made it very clear that they could not really recommend products or devices as they had to be impartial given their nhs role, and they had to stick to guidance from the nhs.
Given that this woman is so instapowerful and commands huge amounts for her posts and that she can belittle her original career as something she simply does in her spare time, this power is because she successfully INFLUENCES people to buy into things and do things.
So why is it ok for her to promote this kind of ridiculous behaviour and make money and fame from it when in her role as nhs midwife she should be putting the safety of the mother and baby first and making it very clear that the silly woman she is using for her podcast should have followed the advice of her midwife and checked the baby. Presumably Clemmie herself found out she was having twins because of a SCAN so can clearly recommend their benefits.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
This is what I find bizarre. She has created an extremely affluent lifestyle by creating a career out of INFLUENCING people. Not only is it a career getting people to buy into her, it’s nothing like her actual career she has based her USP on. As a midwife she built up a following of 67k people who liked and admired her as a midwife, she then gained loads of followers off Simon and changed her name to match his. She now makes money off this but puts it all under the business Gasandair which stems from her midwifery blog but now incorporates selling small blond children, sickly pink tiles, atrocious black taps and showers whilst constantly begging for freebies.
When I asked my midwives and health visitors advice they frequently made it very clear that they could not really recommend products or devices as they had to be impartial given their nhs role, and they had to stick to guidance from the nhs.
Given that this woman is so instapowerful and commands huge amounts for her posts and that she can belittle her original career as something she simply does in her spare time, this power is because she successfully INFLUENCES people to buy into things and do things.
So why is it ok for her to promote this kind of ridiculous behaviour and make money and fame from it when in her role as nhs midwife she should be putting the safety of the mother and baby first and making it very clear that the silly woman she is using for her podcast should have followed the advice of her midwife and checked the baby. Presumably Clemmie herself found out she was having twins because of a SCAN so can clearly recommend their benefits.
Totally agree- if she had any integrity she would quit the one shift a week as it’s totally at odds with her main career as a flogger and undermines her supposed impartiality as a midwife.

Reactions: 10
I had MANY cycles of IVF with immune treatment and had MANY miscarriages to get my son. He was a twin, but unfortunately at 10 weeks I started to bleed heavily and I was told as a matter of fact in A&E that I had lost both babies but as it was night there was no EPU until the next day. EPU scanned me the next morning to discover that whilst I had lost one twin the other was still going strong. Without that scan I wouldn’t have known and would perhaps have taken risks that I wouldn’t have done so had I have known.

At my 12 week scan it showed my son had a 2 vessel cord - something that can happen in twin pregnancies, it can sometimes harm babies kidneys - wouldn’t have known that without a scan.

My baby was large, he was almost 10lb when I had him at 37 weeks. I might not have been prepared for that without a scan.

Piss off with your faux-fashionable alternative birth stories. If you’re lucky you’ll have a baby out of your fanny or your belly, perhaps without scans you might not be so lucky.

Another thing that irritates the tit out of me is pregnancy, birth and parenting books like the one she’s promoting now. It’s been done to death and just like parenting magazines are absolute gash.

Scans are beneficial, baby books are not.
Sorry for your loss.

Going to break it to these self-titled experts - babies can't read. Therefore, you writing a book essentially telling me what you did and what worked for your baby is going to be of limited use to me and my baby! However, a scan - well it's not like the NHS go around offering them because they've got nothing better to do with their money is it! Difference is I think, scans don't earn money, her "alternative I'm so wonderful and new-age, look at me" book does.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
You’ve articulated what I was trying to say but couldn’t find the words 👏👏👏

• Heart
There aren’t any risks with formula feeding a baby, only greater advantages in most situations to the baby to breast feed; And yes to the rest of your questions. I would expect her to as a midwife discuss the risks as that is her unique selling point, otherwise what makes her so special and why should we listen to her podcast over any podcasting mum. At least that was my take. No people absolutely shouldn’t follow or be influenced by a woman on a podcast but that’s not the reality and when things come across as beautiful, shiny and glorious it seems to be human nature to shrive for that. Not everyone, but definitely a lot of women feel that way. Just a little example, all of the poor lovely ladies who fell down the spending trap of influencers and are now or have been in debt due to it. I don’t really care if someone decides to have medical intervention or not during their pregnancy but I do think it is the point of saint clemmie, the midwife doing a podcast, people want to hear from a midwife on pregnancy and birth, so she needs to think about that weight before she does things, but of course she won’t. She’s a bloody idiot. Also, nothing against you SilverSpoonNotIncluded at all.
I haven’t listened to the podcast for many reasons so forgive me for asking, but is it a discussion about their choices and what happened, or is it a platform for women to tell their stories? Because I imagine it’d be a boring and annoying podcast if she’s having to reel off evidence and advice about everything someone discusses while they’re simply trying to tell a story. And also then she would be veering from midwife who happens to be an influencer to someone who is giving midwifery advice via Instagram which is a whole other can of worms.

I imagine she has sought legal advice on this hence the disclaimer at the beginning?

Reactions: 2
I haven’t listened to the podcast for many reasons so forgive me for asking, but is it a discussion about their choices and what happened, or is it a platform for women to tell their stories? Because I imagine it’d be a boring and annoying podcast if she’s having to reel off evidence and advice about everything someone discusses while they’re simply trying to tell a story. And also then she would be veering from midwife who happens to be an influencer to someone who is giving midwifery advice via Instagram which is a whole other can of worms.

I imagine she has sought legal advice on this hence the disclaimer at the beginning?
Okay, personally I don’t think an nhs midwife should be even having someone to talk who didn’t have scans. They aren’t viewed as an optional bit of having a baby. Not having them puts your baby at risk for no possible benefit to either of you.

Things like using formula vs breastfeeding can be dependent on loads of factors so that formula might still be the best choice in one situation even though breast is best overall. Same with a vbac, home birth, eating placenta or not, etc. Not scanning is like being anti-vax. It’s complete cod science nuts and is dangerous.

Reactions: 17
583A00CB-0D95-4D52-B5F2-B07CA5C245D2.jpeg

Is he taking the piss?? Perhaps he should be more concerned about the lack of time MoD seems to spend with the rest of them - oh yeah, she’s there but glued to her phone 🙄 - rather than what the rest of us mere mortals are doing 🤷🏻‍♀️ Anything to get a mention of a #gifted product in 🙄😖😖

Reactions: 7
He’s flogging frozen chips and needs to give us a lecture about quality family time yet MoD was clicking away on her phone when one of her girls wanted attention and HE was filming it all on HIS phone.

How he has the bloody nerve to actually write that, idiot!

Reactions: 12
If I only spent 90 minutes with my family every day I wouldn’t be broadcasting it in on social media I would be questioning what I could do to change it. I’m not saying for one minute that the time I spend with my family is all fun and games but whilst me and my husband both have full time jobs we still manage to spend longer than that together. Thankfully for my family neither of us need to go out every weekend, we don’t need endless ‘date nights (bleeping despise that term) to keep our marriage on track and we place more value on being together than we do on follower numbers. Everything we have in our home we have bought ourselves, all our holidays we pay for ourselves and the food we eat is bought by ourselves - there is a quiet dignity in that and that’s something they will never have.

Their gifted/grabby mentality is something that is growing by the day even at the cost of their family time and that is really quite sad.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Okay, personally I don’t think an nhs midwife should be even having someone to talk who didn’t have scans. They aren’t viewed as an optional bit of having a baby. Not having them puts your baby at risk for no possible benefit to either of you.

Things like using formula vs breastfeeding can be dependent on loads of factors so that formula might still be the best choice in one situation even though breast is best overall. Same with a vbac, home birth, eating placenta or not, etc. Not scanning is like being anti-vax. It’s complete cod science nuts and is dangerous.
Actually scans are optional. I had my 12 week scan recently, and was OFFERED a 20/40 scan and it was explained why, and I was asked if I wished to attend for it. They're part of the screening programme, so yes, you can decline them, just like you can decline scans or blood tests, even if it's risky or dangerous to the baby. Being anti-vax affects not only the person who hasn't received the vaccine but also the wider community. Declining scans, which I don't agree with personally, doesn't have the same widespread risk, it's down to an individual. If she starts commentating on peoples choices or birth stories she veers into the arena of offering medical advice, rather than having a platform for people to tell their stories. I really dislike a lot of what she does and how she does it, but I can't be annoyed at her for sharing a womans story, midwives means with woman - whether you agree personally with their choices or not, they have the right to make unwise decisions and that can only be challenged if you think someone lacks capacity to make reasonable, safe choices.

Reactions: 1
Actually scans are optional. I had my 12 week scan recently, and was OFFERED a 20/40 scan and it was explained why, and I was asked if I wished to attend for it. They're part of the screening programme, so yes, you can decline them, just like you can decline scans or blood tests, even if it's risky or dangerous to the baby. Being anti-vax affects not only the person who hasn't received the vaccine but also the wider community. Declining scans, which I don't agree with personally, doesn't have the same widespread risk, it's down to an individual. If she starts commentating on peoples choices or birth stories she veers into the arena of offering medical advice, rather than having a platform for people to tell their stories. I really dislike a lot of what she does and how she does it, but I can't be annoyed at her for sharing a womans story, midwives means with woman - whether you agree personally with their choices or not, they have the right to make unwise decisions and that can only be challenged if you think someone lacks capacity to make reasonable, safe choices.
I was going to say that scans are definitely optional, and I was offered scans not ordered to have them. However if you ask whether they are necessary or harmful you will be advised that they are perfectly safe and very useful in picking up potential problems with mum and baby. The woman is just lucky she had a placenta in good position, no cord round the neck, correct presentation etc it’s luck and nothing more and the story could’ve been very different.
The midwife interviewing should be very clear to state regularly that she does not promote the women’s decision. I personally feel she should not have given airtime on her platforms to this story due to potential risk and putting ideas in dim sheep’s minds. I was so surprised by the number of people round me who completely believed that the 20 week scan was to find out the sex and had no idea that it was actually to check for anomalys.
As someone who’s seen first hand scans pick up undetected downs, breech, heart defects and placenta previa a midwife should be very careful what she shares and puts out there. She’s very quick to say she can’t offer advice but by promoting this she IS presenting it as an option due to her following.

Reactions: 11
I also know a young girl who didn't believe in scans because felt they were harmful and they didn't want ANY medical intervention at all ... and that meant scans.. You can't change people's beliefs though, she was not to be convinced otherwise (luckily all was okay for her) But MOD really could have shown a bit more strength of character and had a bigger caveat warning at the start, rather than vacuously sharing one person's slightly controversial birth beliefs...and potentially fuelling more people to follow that process...

It’s a grey area isn’t it? As is a lot of this influencer culture, with no precedents as to what is or isn’t ok. My concern is that she *is* using her practising midwife status to promote this podcast, which will in turn increase engagement with her instagram and ultimately make her more money. She has chosen, or been advised to, wear her work uniform in the promotional images.

This, along with the guest describing herself as a women’s health “expert”, adds a degree of credibility to the content and their opinions, which could adversely influence people’s decisions at a time when they could be quite vulnerable/susceptible.

As a Healthcare Professional, Clemmie is duty-bound to use the best available evidence to support her practice and recommendations. A cursory internet search hasn’t brought up anything that would support this guest’s view of herself as an expert, i.e. participation in gold-standard research, publication in respected and peer-reviewed journals, presentation at conferences.

Clemmie using her midwife status to promote this podcast is, I feel, the issue. Potentially just a moral one but that is often the problem with influencer culture isn’t it? She could choose to not include the references to her being a midwife in the promotional materials, but that wouldn’t be as potentially lucrative, would it?

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.