MOD & FOD #15 Now we know Slymon really is a prick, because all he’s doing is taking the mick!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is that you Anna?

Not sure she stays in the psychotherapy role with her hash tag ads for Elemis and the like.

Also not too sure on the ethics of working in a psychotherapeutic role and sharing your life on social media.
This. It's insidious how one minute you're in someone's kitchen watching them cook dinner, you're listening to them really about leggings and being tired and then bham! They're telling your about a fab set of empowerment cards they've designed and to swipe up to purchase. Anna mathur has a very cleverly curated feed which focuses on mental health. The ads, free events, free leggings, tops, jumpers, trips to jo Malone are kept on stories only and disappear pretty quick. It's insidious and the subtle interplay of motherhood with mental health and profit often crosses the line. As it did with mod. Anna started off with a few hundred followers and using the standard mlm scheme rules she soon joined the in crowd of Insta mums and is always photographed with them at events.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I unfollowed Gemma after the CB fangirling, and I’ve realised how much less irritating my stories are. There was way too much of Gemma’s face screeching in my phone.

And there was A LOT of schilling slipped in between the debriefs about her children and overly complex explanations about her products. She could post a quarter of the stories she posts now and it would still be plenty.

Reactions: 15
Also mental health is big bucks in Insta these days. It's a real hook to catch those vulnerable mums. Recently I've noticed Insta mums writing and selling courses on 'reframing anxiety', 'perfectionism', 'being the nice girl'. These 'courses' are designed to be sold you a very very specific group of women, and they are not cheap! Often aimed at young mums, vulnerable, mums looking for Insta cred. What qualifies these Insta mums to write and sell these courses, is it ethical?

• Angry
Reactions: 22
Also mental health is big bucks in Insta these days. It's a real hook to catch those vulnerable mums. Recently I've noticed Insta mums writing and selling courses on 'reframing anxiety', 'perfectionism', 'being the nice girl'. These 'courses' are designed to be sold you a very very specific group of women, and they are not cheap! Often aimed at young mums, vulnerable, mums looking for Insta cred. What qualifies these Insta mums to write and sell these courses, is it ethical?
They are creating the anxiety/perfect life/perfect mum hype and then cashing in on it big time.

• Sick
Debt from being influenced? What did you buy?
I could give you a really long boring answer and then you will no doubt tell me it’s my own fault and not the influencers. It’s not an influencers ‘fault’ per se. And not all of the debt was related to influential purchases. It makes no difference how much was. But I know many people who overstretched, buying ‘necessary’ baby purchases shown by an nhs midwife. Bugaboos, Stokke cots and highchairs, sleepyheads, rigby and pellar bras, it’s like trying to buy a lifestyle you think your baby ‘needs’. (I didn’t buy all or even half those things to be clear.) but the pressure to redecorate, provide a nursery etc are extremely powerful to new mums. Whatvand how my debt was and occurred are irrelevant. I own my debt, I’m responsible, I’ve dealt with it, but after coming out of the toxic Instagram bubble I realised how powerful influencers were even to people who think they would be unable to be influenced.

• Heart
Reactions: 68
Anna Mathur has more qualifications than most with her reframing anxiety course, given she’s a psychotherapist. I wouldn’t see her professionally as I follow her on Instagram but she shares little of her life, really. Crap cooking, daft stories of her day, her own experiences with mental health. She doesn’t show her kids either. I quite like her.

But of course she has products to sell, including herself at events. I wouldn’t put her in the same category as MOD at all though.

Reactions: 7
Anna Mathur has more qualifications than most with her reframing anxiety course, given she’s a psychotherapist. I wouldn’t see her professionally as I follow her on Instagram but she shares little of her life, really. Crap cooking, daft stories of her day, her own experiences with mental health. She doesn’t show her kids either. I quite like her.

But of course she has products to sell, including herself at events. I wouldn’t put her in the same category as MOD at all though.
I would totally disagree with you there and would say she is similar to MOD. She massively over shares her life. “I considered driving into a tree” “what would happen if I did XYZ to my baby” yadda yadda yadda. I am trained in the mental health field and it is completely against the grain to self disclose a little, if anything to clients. Yes, followers are not clients, but potential clients, historical clients could all view her profile.

Just not very professional if you ask me. Then again, I suppose this is how she makes her money by pretending to be one’s mate and wanting to help one out with her nice girl courses. “Because I was a nice girl once 🙄

Similar to MOD with her jewellery campaign.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

As someone just posted, they create the scenario ie I'm a new mum, I'm so stressed, I'm so anxious, look at the photo of me crying on my feed etc etc. New mums relate and identify. Then out comes the 'buy my course' it'll solve your problems. It's unethical. It's exactly the same as mod playing on women's insecurities about their homes/ clothes/ jobs... buy this mama t shirt, buy these lovely tiles, buy my book. If you identify with me then buy buy buy. And anna completely over shares! She has numerous contrived photos of herself crying. Who would ever be sat crying with a baby in their arms and think ooh I know I'll put that on Insta. It's narcissism and it sells her goods.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Really? God, I was so naiive about Instamums. I never pictured them just ringing companies up and being so blasé about wanting a freebie. The cheek of it, when MOD could well afford whatever she liked — and didn't even need to be doing a reno on that lovely house anyway. What did your friend say?!
YES! Thank you! I don’t even get why they did the renovation. The kitchen and the bathrooms were amazing before she decided to make it trendier! Maybe it needed some changes and the girls needed a bathroom, but that ‘Girls!’ tile work on her daughters’ bathroom is just cringeworthy! 😬

Reactions: 9
I bought a ‘mother’ T-shirt when they first came out. I was searching for a new self identity now I’d become a mum.
In those days of Instagram (4/5 years ago) I found the instamums - and Clemmie in particular inspirational. I know that seems cringe. I’m just being honest.
They were cool mums, who still had a life and a career and went out. I wanted to be like them.
And I think in those days not everything was gifted.
Slowly that started to change. It was so insidious.

To my huge embarrassment I got a leopard print Tina and Marl changing Bag after the birth of my third baby in 2016. I naively didn’t realise they’d all been #gifted them. I was hormonal and vulnerable as everyone here says.

It’s very clever, very manipulative advertising. The fact that it’s aimed at new mums seems particularly tit coming from a midwife.

It makes me feel so much better reading the truth on here and hearing I wasn’t the only sucker!

Reactions: 49
As someone just posted, they create the scenario ie I'm a new mum, I'm so stressed, I'm so anxious, look at the photo of me crying on my feed etc etc. New mums relate and identify. Then out comes the 'buy my course' it'll solve your problems. It's unethical. It's exactly the same as mod playing on women's insecurities about their homes/ clothes/ jobs... buy this mama t shirt, buy these lovely tiles, buy my book. If you identify with me then buy buy buy. And anna completely over shares! She has numerous contrived photos of herself crying. Who would ever be sat crying with a baby in their arms and think ooh I know I'll put that on Insta. It's narcissism and it sells her goods.
I can’t see many of the photos you describe, but I don’t disagree. It’s a murky world, making yourself relatable enough to build a following but you also want people to buy what you’re selling. Her selling an online course that can benefit your mental health is vastly different to MOD wanging on about some jumper she loves or a gifted experience with her kids that makes us feel inferior so we buy to fit in again and again, vs something you could buy that might actually be of benefit! And Anna has a discount you can use no questions asked.

Reactions: 5
I think it appeals to people who want to portray the sentiment of the label/wording but can’t. So they write it on themselves.
I get what you’re saying but I’ve been through some horrific things in my time and I’ve come out stronger, sometimes I need a bit of a reminder and a T-shirt does the trick, a bit like a suit of armour on my bad days.

I probably sound like an instadick but I’m quite nice and normal 😂

The thing is, through traditional media you get medical professionals who make a name for themselves. Dr Christian is a prime example. But with that they have their standard indemnity, as well as additional insurance and they are so, so careful to seek advice on matters than could undermine their profession.

Social media is a new form of media used by people in a different way from how we’ve used media before. It’s all so new and MOD has fallen victim to that.

You get people like Anna Mathur who does it so well. She’s a psychotherapist but stays firmly in the psychotherapy role. I think by mixing midwifery and fashion/homes, MOD has muddied the waters and got into difficulties. It was only a matter of time, especially as some people will be out to get her because she is ‘famous’.

I can see how it has happened. It started off as the gas and air blog, she then got invited some places and offered some things and took them, then it got bigger and bigger, her husband got in on the act too and then they both got things. At some point her account became less midwifery and more generic influencer stuff and I think that’s where the tide has turned and things have become misaligned. Instead of a focus on midwifery with influencer stuff being a side show, it’s swapped round. Midwifery has become the side show, influencing has become the bigger part and with that has come more risk, ultimately leading to the situation where we are up to now. For most midwives, slagging off your mates online anonymously and making a comment which could be perceived as racist wouldn’t matter. No one would know who it was and no one would be interested in finding out. But MOD’s influencer status made her a target.
Ironically had she just been some random podcaster, or even an “influencer” doing a podcast on birth stories but NOT a midwife there would have been no issue there. But the lines were blurred as she chose to do a podcast with Maisie Hill author or Period. Because she was the hot thing at that moment and it co I coded with her book launch. The issue people had was that she had chosen to have no scans, and at no point was there a caution or a statement about scans being recommended or the stats behind how many births are successful/ saved/ live etc as a result of scans being introduced and used at key stages of pregnancy (I don’t have quite the right words but you get my drift) - and not providing that caveat essentially contravenes the NMC best practise and her training as a midwife, despite it having been the mother choice on this occasion. When it’s broadcast to a large, potentially susceptible, audience then she absolutely should have to think about those things after pushing herself into the limelight because of being a midwife.
I also realised why there was a broken link someone reported in thread #14 on the CT blog- because MoD went from having the handle midwifeyhooper to rebranding to the handle mother of daughters... so the link wasn’t redirected and the original IG account is gone...

Reactions: 8
I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned on here already but the Clemmie tattle bitching was in Grazia magazine and on the cover of Closer magazine this week. And possibly more?

It’s one thing it all being online but being in print in every shop is very public.

She must be mortified

Or she likes the attention? 🤔

Reactions: 4
It annoys me when people say things like ‘if people are influenced to buy the tat then that speaks volumes about them’.

Every single thing an influencer does on Instagram is calculated to the nth degree to sell stuff to people. That’s the only reason it’s posted up there; to shill. To get people buying.

So, then when it works, and ipeople do buy the stuff, you can’t blame them for doing what they’ve been deliberately manipulated into doing!
And this is why every single item they promote I make sure I don't buy

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.