MOD & FOD #15 Now we know Slymon really is a prick, because all he’s doing is taking the mick!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Proud to say I bought none of their tat. None of it!

But I have met several of this lot in real life and am and always have been extremely unimpressed by them.
I’ve brought nothing except their books. I brought FOD book hardback and audio and I‘ve brought gi fletcher happy mum.. hardback, digital and audio. I’ve also brought all of the kids books by Tom fletcher in all formats. It’s annoys me everyday. Didn’t however buy anything that clemmie had a hand in book wise, for no reason other than I haven’t been pregnant while knowing about her.

Reactions: 6
We're all consumers @Apricotflangebucket influenced one way or another, if you're on instagram it's hard to avoid this kind of influencer marketing. Even if you're aware of the phycology behind it it's still easy to be affected by these influencers with their seemingly perfect lives, all the clothes, all the gifts, lovely homes, luxury holidays, lavish events and beautiful families. It doesn't matter who you are and what you have it leaves you feeling like tit sometimes because it's unobtainable. If you're working so hard it does suck when you see these influencers getting so much for free. They're not spending a penny and selling all these products to us, but it's not the products we're buying, we're being suckered (conned) into aspiring to be like them whilst spending our hard earned cash to the brands that are funding them. "if you want to be as (insert aspiration here, great/happy/successful etc) as me buy this, that or the other." I'm telling you that swipe up feature is dangerous! It's not just mums either, I can't imagine how it feels to be a teenager/young person right now.[/B]

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I haven’t noticed her doing that much #ad #paidpartnership #freebie stuff. Admittedly I haven’t looked at her account much recently so I will look again and happy to be proven wrong.

I don’t see an issue in her selling her work online but I don’t know what the rules are for psychotherapists. I believe they aren’t as regulated as doctors for example but don’t have enough experience with psychotherapists.

My own experience is with another healthcare profession and they would be advised to keep their professional and personal online prescence separate. That’s not to say they can’t use it for work - they can and I think their governing body has quite purposefully not ruled it out as it is was a bit of an unknown entity before, not so much now as more in that profession are using things such as social media, Skype, e.t.c...for their work

I personally see no problem with Anna Mathur monetising her Instagram account providing it’s not going against her governing bodies code of conduct. After all, most psychotherapy is private in the UK and if anything, she is making it more affordable. But it does muddy the waters when you combine the two.

You might have an issue with someone selling healthcare services in general and that’s a separate matter. But when it can be bought privately offline (which most forms of healthcare can be), it can happen online and actually when it’s online it can make it cheaper. It’s about how it’s done that’s important.

As an aside as it isn’t traditional healthcare but I bought the Posotive Birth Company’s hypnobirthing digital pack before the birth of my second. It was the single best £30 I’ve spent. It made the world of difference to my labour where traditional pain relief had completely failed for the birth of my first. I wanted to do a face to face course but we would moving house at the time meaning practically and financially it wasn’t possible. The digital pack made it possible for me.
Hey Anna is that you?? My personal view is that selling mental health interventions online via Insta is shady practice. Often those purchasing these 'services' are vulnerable and without lengthy consultation how can any health care worker know if the service on sale will be appropriate. Surely the whole mod thing has made it clear that health care professionals need to be very very careful about offering services and advice online. Or profiting from their experience in a non regulated way.

Reactions: 14
Hey Anna is that you?? My personal view is that selling mental health interventions online via Insta is shady practice. Often those purchasing these 'services' are vulnerable and without lengthy consultation how can any health care worker know if the service on sale will be appropriate. Surely the whole mod thing has made it clear that health care professionals need to be very very careful about offering services and advice online. Or profiting from their experience in a non regulated way.
Absolutely they need to be very careful and that’s why there is guidance on it from medical bodies and the regulators. But ultimately If they aren’t breaking the guidelines and it opens the services up to others then they aren’t doing anything legally wrong even if you think morally it is.

Also given in many areas the NHS Italk service is available online after a referral from a GP (who from experience has spoken to you for a few minutes at a consultation), I’m not sure there is a great deal of difference.

I have to say as well (and I’ve seen it done to others here so it’s not just a dig at you), attempting to silence someone with a difference of opinion by accusing them of being the influencer being discussed isn’t entirely fair and doesn’t lead to particularly interesting discussion or debate.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Exactly, personally I bought the rug when I was 7 months pregnant, super overwhelmed with a house renovation (nothing like the MOFODS, my house was a total dump!!) and I wanted my house to look like all those lovely Instagram houses but I couldn’t afford F&B paint or super expensive wall paper. But I could afford the rug (it was 40%off). It made me fell about better about the chaos in my life, becaus they had it too and they seemed to be coping. Then I realised that they prob didn’t buy the rug, or the paint or the wall paper and they didn’t spend their nights ripping out carpets or painting walls like the rest of us. They had people doing all of that (for free and discounted!) and it was all a lie.
And the rug looked lovely if I’m honest but we spend a lot of time in the living (I don’t have a grown up living room/zen room, so we are all crammed in here!) and it doesn’t go well with heavy foot traffic or babies with reflux or weaning. White rug + small children = massive no!!
And this is why these InstaScums need to be called into account. New Mums are very suggestible when it comes to giving their baby the best. New Mums are often isolated and overwhelmed. But, honestly you cannot BUY an item that will make you feel less isolated. A rug can never make you feel that you belong. An overpriced sparkly jumper doesn't have the power to stop you feeling overwhelmed. They just don't.

But new Mums are preyed on and tricked into believing that they will.

Reactions: 19
Never got duped.... but I have a few things that FOD got gifted

Weber BBQ...... all our sofas are from sofa.com ( I do love them) this pisses me off to the max as I need to buy a couple more pieces.

I may write them a snotty mail.

All that Android tech tit he's got gifted he can keep.... I'm Apple to the core!

Reactions: 12
I deliberately didn't buy a pixel phone as he kept being gifted them. Avoided buying a Webber bbq also, although it was only a cheap one (thanks mod for chiming in on his ad to tell people webber do cheaper bbqs for lesser people :LOL: ) not the 2k bbq he was gifted and paid to promote.

I do want the nest home, but I'll wait for an offer after seeing so many gifted it.

It's quite good actually, it's stopping me spending money with their negative influencing. I'm trying to get rid of clutter and reduce my impact and anything with a huge marketing budget leaves a bitter taste.

Reactions: 17
Never got duped.... but I have a few things that FOD got gifted

Weber BBQ...... all our sofas are from sofa.com ( I do love them) this pisses me off to the max as I need to buy a couple more pieces.

I may write them a snotty mail.

All that Android tech tit he's got gifted he can keep.... I'm Apple to the core!
He was gifted the phones as he admitted to having more than one pixel? 🙁

Reactions: 2
He was gifted the phones as he admitted to having more than one pixel? 🙁
He said the other day a photo was taken using the pixel 3, then for some silly reason went on to say he's been sent the pixel 4 but hasn't got round to using it.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
That rug does absolutely nothing for me. I must be immune. Yay!! 😂
That rug, the ‘tiba & Marl’ backpack, the ‘yes mum’ cards, the ‘scamp and dude’, the ‘bright company’ PJs, they all don’t do anything for the majority of people when you just see a photo out of the blue of the product like this with no priming!

The previous poster who described the influencer selling as “brainwashing” was quite right.

These influencers pretend they are your mates. They win your trust. They don’t feel like celebrities. You can inbox them direct. I remember reading on the Mumsnet threads about the number of people that had messaged MOD (before messaging anyone else) about their miscarriages . The line between friend, health professional and influencer becomes blurred.

And then you see their lovely home every day on Instagram. And you watch their insta stories and you ‘catch up’ with these influences more regularly than you do your own mum. It doesn’t really hit you how one way it is (particularly before Advertising Standards shook things up a bit and got stricter)

you’re a new mum, sleep deprived and emotional and you get totally sucked in to all this.

I spotted the below delusional message on DLAM’s Instagram post the other day... just baffling ... but perhaps this lady is only saying what we all thought originally.. before our eyes were all opened that we’re just being flogged to....

1DF0781E-917B-4BD0-9E5A-0B7861BCF048.jpeg

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Instagram has become the new QVC 🤣 I remember all the overpriced crap I bought from there before Instagram.... 😳 #imatotalsucker

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Someone said above that it was hard to avoid the selling if you were on Instagram. I disagree. I have been on Instagram for a long time and follow a myriad of people from friends and family to science and cooking people, have never come across one of these sellers.

🤷🏻‍♀️

Someone told me today that at the seminars where they teach such selling they describe “harvesting” their followers.

That is awful.

Even though I now know, I am not attracted. The Hoopers are not the sort of people I would associate with so why would I want them on my phone?! The little bit I have looked at the others also doesn’t do it for me. They come across as a bunch of silly gossiping “wimmin” who aren’t v bright and all hate each other. Again, I don’t associate with people like this.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Someone said above that it was hard to avoid the selling if you were on Instagram. I disagree. I have been on Instagram for a long time and follow a myriad of people from friends and family to science and cooking people, have never come across one of these sellers.

🤷🏻‍♀️
I think the it’s when you follow one of them the others appear out of nowhere! I started harmlessly following a very lovely midwife (midwifeyhooper) who was expecting twins. Had no idea it was Queen of The Gifted tit who begged for her entire house and was actually being paid to influence me to buy tit. At the time it took off and MOFOD were born, I was particularly vulnerable and receptive, with new baby and struggling with some major life events.

Reactions: 29

🤷🏻‍♀️

Someone told me today that at the seminars where they teach such selling they describe “harvesting” their followers.

That is awful.
Same here, until I fell pregnant and there is definitely a sense of vulnerability. At home, not working, not seeing your friends as much. The internet becomes your friend and you do become more easily influenced by these online 'mates'
I did get the muthahood tees but only when she did the sample sales 😂🙈 !! Two years down the line I have become immune to these types of posts. However, I hope that this is the start of a wake up call and brands see a backlash of mum influencers. So Mod I hope to thank you for that!!

Reactions: 11
I do like the strong girls club merch. I like what it stands for and I also think Gemma is great

Reactions: 10
If it makes anyone feel better I’ve got a strong girls club T-shirt and a scamp and dude jumper!! No rug though!
I’ve got one of those MAMA jumpers. To be fair my husband bought it, not me.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.