Melanie Murphy #14 Sale agreed on a gaff needs another reason to faff, Next rant-implants

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is plagiarism not a big no no in publishing? It’s an incredibly stupid thing to do when it could end up with the book being pulled at a later point.
This is a logical and sensible way of thinking, not something what Melanie does. I would never believe someone as obnoxious as her could write something being worth to publish without stealing ideas or being heavily edited. She has no common sense and no awareness what is ok to do or say.

Reactions: 4
I haven't had a chance to watch that Anna video yet, Is it actually word for word? Can someone full me in? Even if its not, how bleeping shady. Not a creative bone in Mel's body.

Reactions: 5
1. Why that bleeping page with no trigger warning? that's so dangerous
2. It reads a lot like something else I've listened to/ heard recently and I can't remember for the life of me what it is. It's going to bug me until I figure it out but if I start google searching it I'll have Pieta House calling me for a welfare check.

Reactions: 9
I haven't had a chance to watch that Anna video yet, Is it actually word for word? Can someone full me in? Even if its not, how bleeping shady. Not a creative bone in Mel's body.
It's word for word. It's only a short video but if you keep open the screenshot of her book as you listen to the video it's word for word. Even when the girl Anna momentarily pauses, MM adds ... to emphasize the pause !

• Wow
Reactions: 11
It's word for word. It's only a short video but if you keep open the screenshot of her book as you listen to the video it's word for word. Even when the girl Anna momentarily pauses, MM adds ... to emphasize the pause !
Snake behaviour. Thanks for replying. I believe she plagiarized a tumblr quote in her other book too so no suprise.

Most of her "prose" is taken from elsewhere too.

TW for the quotes below…
Some side by side comparison

Anna: “if you commit suicide I don’t even know what would happen to you. All I know is what happens to the people around you when you die”

Mel: “if you kill yourself I don’t know what will happen to you when your gone. But I know what will happen to everyone you leave here”

Anna: “it’ll be hard for your family to live normally for a long time. People will miss you a lot”

Mel: “people won’tonly miss you. They won’t know how to carry on with their lives”

Anna: “your family will be really bleeping confused and really angry. And really jealous. I’m jealous of everyone who has a sister”

Mel: “people won’t just be sad. They’ll be angry. And jealous. I’m jealous of.. of bleeping everyone who has a girlfriend”

Anna: “ it feels like a lot of unnecessary pain and brooding and agonising”

Mel: “you’ll cause a lot of agonising”

It’s beat for beat the same points Anna makes. And like someone else mentioned she even steals the pauses Anna makes

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
How low do you have to be to plagiarise someone’s video on their sisters suicide? That’s just awful.

• Sad
Reactions: 24
Someone should email her publishing and let them know this bit is plagiarized. She's awful.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
TW - suicide

Honestly what she did is akin to what lazy college students do when referencing literature changing a few words but keeping the meaty part.... which is very much plagiarism.

Anna - "if you commit suicide I don’t even know what would happen to you"

Mel - "if you kill yourself I don’t know what will happen to you when your gone"

There's no doubt in my mind she did this throughout college and now in her thirties.

Plagiarism is never okay but as @rattleprattle pointed out to plagiarize someone's trauma for a chapter in a poorly written novel is very low.

I hope she gets called out. I would be reeling if someone used a traumatic time in my life to, word for word take something very difficult and personal from me and pass off as there own words. I'm sure Anna found it incredibly hard to speak about and publish to youtube. What a way to minimise someone else's inspiring MH content to pass off as her own. (MH content that is so desperately needed, no less)

@anon365 thank you for posting this orginally. Im disgusted.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
What really gets me is, not only did she steal Anna’s words that were used to describe her real life pain for her daft book (her monetary gain), but she was asked to provide ONE passage from her upcoming book and THIS is the passage she chooses. Lads, she’s fecking proud of herself for this!! She’s thinking this is the passage that will make me look like a thoughtful, deep writer.. they’re not even her bloody words! The absolute cheek.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
TW for the quotes below…
Some side by side comparison

Anna: “if you commit suicide I don’t even know what would happen to you. All I know is what happens to the people around you when you die”

Mel: “if you kill yourself I don’t know what will happen to you when your gone. But I know what will happen to everyone you leave here”

Anna: “it’ll be hard for your family to live normally for a long time. People will miss you a lot”

Mel: “people won’tonly miss you. They won’t know how to carry on with their lives”

Anna: “your family will be really bleeping confused and really angry. And really jealous. I’m jealous of everyone who has a sister”

Mel: “people won’t just be sad. They’ll be angry. And jealous. I’m jealous of.. of bleeping everyone who has a girlfriend”

Anna: “ it feels like a lot of unnecessary pain and brooding and agonising”

Mel: “you’ll cause a lot of agonising”

It’s beat for beat the same points Anna makes. And like someone else mentioned she even steals the pauses Anna makes
Really makes me angry. Muppet needs to buy a little bit of decency,respect and soul.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
TW - suicide

Honestly what she did is akin to what lazy college students do when referencing literature changing a few words but keeping the meaty part.... which is very much plagiarism.

Anna - "if you commit suicide I don’t even know what would happen to you"

Mel - "if you kill yourself I don’t know what will happen to you when your gone"

There's no doubt in my mind she did this throughout college and now in her thirties.

Plagiarism is never okay but as @rattleprattle pointed out to plagiarize someone's trauma for a chapter in a poorly written novel is very low.

I hope she gets called out. I would be reeling if someone used a traumatic time in my life to, word for word take something very difficult and personal from me and pass off as there own words. I'm sure Anna found it incredibly hard to speak about and publish to youtube. What a way to minimise someone else's inspiring MH content to pass off as her own. (MH content that is so desperately needed, no less)

@anon365 thank you for posting this orginally. Im disgusted.
I wish I could take credit but it was actually @dichotomies who found the video, I just watched it

Wow I can't believe how easy it was to admit someone else did all of the work. Would you look at that... 🤣

• Heart
Oh my good lord. Of all the extracts to share - she shares the one that should have some TWs prior before it popping up in IG stories. Then for the content of that extract to be plagarised from a heartfelt video made by a grieving sister. Mel, every day you somehow manage to go even lower than my already low expectations.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
The worst thing about it is she won't apologize. As per usual. She was called out for not using TW before and said something along the lines of "I'm still learning, thank you for your understanding". She is the ultimate deflector. Even with Fabletics she said she wouldn't comment until she heard from the company. Still radio silent other than saying she'll continue to wear what she has from the brand in order to be sustainable.

If she ever acknowledges the above I can guarantee she'll be all "I'm so sorry you thought I plagiarized that piece from my book. Unfortunately people commit suicide every day. I pulled this writing from my incredibly intelligent brain."

She sickens me

• Heart
The worst thing about it is she won't apologize. As per usual. She was called out for not using TW before and said something along the lines of "I'm still learning, thank you for your understanding". She is the ultimate deflector. Even with Fabletics she said she wouldn't comment until she heard from the company. Still radio silent other than saying she'll continue to wear what she has from the brand in order to be sustainable.

If she ever acknowledges the above I can guarantee she'll be all "I'm so sorry you thought I plagiarized that piece from my book. Unfortunately people commit suicide every day. I pulled this writing from my incredibly intelligent brain."

She sickens me
My guess is she'll say it was done subconsciously, as in, she might have seen the video at some point and must've subconsciously remembered it. Which - of course - is bullshit, as she's quoting word by word. She's done this before when she was called out for trying to pass a quote off as her own writing in one of her posts without giving credit, then defended herself by saying she must've read it somewhere years ago and subconsciously remembered it, but that the concept isn't unique, that you can't check every single piece of writing for possible plagiarism, blabla.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
“The dawn of Covid….”? Thanks Melanie. Slap on the face of every frontline worker and who are still losing their loved ones to it.

"I'm so sorry you thought I plagiarized that piece from my book. Unfortunately people commit suicide every day. I pulled this writing from my incredibly intelligent brain."
She addresses it in the new video exactly like this. And to top it all off she claims she “manifested” it 🤔

• Wow
Reactions: 10
So she's basically admitting she has no original ideas and all her "best" writing is ripped off from something else she's read / watched. Well done.

As she points out in the video, there is a difference between inspiration and plagiarism. What she did was plagiarism, and it cannot be blamed on lockdown (which she tries to do).

ETA: She is also clearly raging about the book cover. She thinks this book is a serious drama, and it's clear her publishers don't think so and are marketing it as something much more 'light'. There is nothing wrong with light fiction, it's just funny she probably thought this new novel will be Man Booker material.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.