Madeleine Olivia #2 Sustainability is so 2018, Buy my affiliates if you want to be green!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just saw Madeleine did a live IG with Jessia Rose Williams for her book launch. Anyone watched it? I don't mind Jessica but couldn't bring myself to watch! Neither does a particularly good job of actually living out the principles of minimalism. 😬
(I don't either, but I'm not an influencer making money from pretending to be.)

Reactions: 5
If anyone wants to watch someone whom actually seems to take the environment seriously Bonnie Wright (Ginny HP) has started a YouTube called Go Gently. She does also have a book coming out so could all be PR 😂 however her videos are quite nice to watch tbh.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Just saw Madeleine did a live IG with Jessia Rose Williams for her book launch. Anyone watched it? I don't mind Jessica but couldn't bring myself to watch! Neither does a particularly good job of actually living out the principles of minimalism. 😬
(I don't either, but I'm not an influencer making money from pretending to be.)
I couldn't bear to watch it either. I find it really ick-y when influencers pair up like this promote stuff. it feels fake the way they act like they're friends and probably have barely spoken to each other and likely never met in real life.

Reactions: 3
If anyone wants to watch someone whom actually seems to take the environment seriously Bonnie Wright (Ginny HP) has started a YouTube called Go Gently. She does also have a book coming out so could all be PR 😂 however her videos are quite nice to watch tbh.
Oh thank you so much, I'm definitely going to check her channel out. I don't care if it's PR or not, as long as it's something good and she can influence ppl to do better, i'm all for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Oh thank you so much, I'm definitely going to check her channel out. I don't care if it's PR or not, as long as it's something good and she can influence ppl to do better, i'm all for it.
She only has a few videos at the mo because she's just started but she's nice to listen to and her house is gorgeous 😭

• Heart
We all know Maddie likes to pretend she doesn't spend unnecessarily but please buy poor Roxie a new harness which is actually needed
Probably gnawing at it in frustration when she needs a walk and nobody will take her 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 6
thanks so much for this recommendation. Saw her on a publisher event but didn't know she had a channel.I binged them yesterday and she has a new upload. Isn't she lovely...such a genuine person.. so refreshing to watch her videos.

When I first spotted Maddie's channel in 2017, I immediately got Lily Pebbles vibes and I was instantly put off her. I then went through a phase of declutter videos and that's when she popped up again. I admit, she did make a good declutter video and through that, I warmed to her and Alex. I enjoyed their Brighton and food videos. But, when she announced she signed up to a management agency, I knew it was the decline of her. Sadly, I no longer recognise the Maddie of 2017-2019 and it's a shame, she's now a victim of mass-market interiors and the drive for perfection.

I do wonder if the minimalism and sustainability thing was a general passion of hers or she just used it to capitalise on a growing niche/trend. But, I do think she will revert back to her old videos and save her channel, once the money/engagers have disappeared. If I was to hazard a guess, she will do what she did with her fast fashion addiction and have an epiphany, make a video of her regret, blame mental health, try and reclaim credibility and then begin the same cycle of decluttering/minimalism/sustainability videos.

Reactions: 13
She only has a few videos at the mo because she's just started but she's nice to listen to and her house is gorgeous 😭
I ended up watching all her videos over the weekend while painting it was so calming. Her whole look house and outfits are gorgeous, I took too many screenshots for house inspo.
When I first spotted Maddie's channel in 2017, I immediately got Lily Pebbles vibes and I was instantly put off her. I then went through a phase of declutter videos and that's when she popped up again. I admit, she did make a good declutter video and through that, I warmed to her and Alex. I enjoyed their Brighton and food videos. But, when she announced she signed up to a management agency, I knew it was the decline of her. Sadly, I no longer recognise the Maddie of 2017-2019 and it's a shame, she's now a victim of mass-market interiors and the drive for perfection.

I do wonder if the minimalism and sustainability thing was a general passion of hers or she just used it to capitalise on a growing niche/trend. But, I do think she will revert back to her old videos and save her channel, once the money/engagers have disappeared. If I was to hazard a guess, she will do what she did with her fast fashion addiction and have an epiphany, make a video of her regret, blame mental health, try and reclaim credibility and then begin the same cycle of decluttering/minimalism/sustainability videos.
I 100% believe it was a trend and a pr strategy for her, I’m sure she cares about the planet and about sustainability to an extent like most people do. But she doesn’t care as much as she pushed she does. It was a convenient niche for her while they were trying to save money and had a really small place. She’s got real eclectic middle class art/pottery teacher vibes about her and while I love that vibe it’s a lot to do with maximalism, loads of coffee table and reference books, art, ceramics and stuff. But instead of slowly building it up like most people would she’s justs buying it all now to get there ASAP

Reactions: 8

Agree, her videos became very meh almost immediately after signing with management. She was only with them for what... A year? I wonder if she chose to leave or they dumped her? The management company certainly elevated her YouTube channel, they definitely did something with the algorithm, as her subs literally increased overnight!

Since she left them, it's like she's been single handedly sabotaging all the hard work of building her channel. Anyone with a shred of PR experience would question some of the content she's been posting to yt.

Reactions: 4
We all know Maddie likes to pretend she doesn't spend unnecessarily but please buy poor Roxie a new harness which is actually needed
she's such an irresponsible dog owner... its also illegal to go out on walks with your dog without a collar and tag. but i guess she wouldnt know that as roxie hardly gets walked.

That harness is actually really disgusting to see. Maybe it's because I'm a very proud dog owner, but I only earn minimum wage and my dog got a new harness the moment it looked ever so slightly old because I a) care about the safety of my dog (if it rips and my dog escaped, I'd be devastated) but b) I have SO much pride in my dog. Like, I'm proud to pick up her poops I'm so proud of everything about her.

I hang out with a lot of dogs and I've never ever seen someone use a harness in such a state. If I passed that dog on the street, I'd be genuinely worried about animal abuse. If I child was dressed like that, I'd consider it neglect. Who lets their dog wears such a tatty harness?!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Just saw Blue Ollis’s story (another sustainability influencer who moved into their old Brighton flat) showing the flat riddled in mould and talking about how it was affecting her health.

How awful of Maddie to recommend the flat or persuade her into signing the lease if she knew about these problems, especially since her and Blue were supposedly friends.

• Wow
Just saw Blue Ollis’s story (another sustainability influencer who moved into their old Brighton flat) showing the flat riddled in mould and talking about how it was affecting her health.

How awful of Maddie to recommend the flat or persuade her into signing the lease if she knew about these problems, especially since her and Blue were supposedly friends.
I don't think it's fair to accuse Maddie of that.... Obviously it wasn't visible at the time or she wouldn't have moved in. And I don't see how it would have been of any benefit to her.

I do feel like I remember seeing in old vlogs that they had a little vacuum thing just for getting moisture off the windows - I'd never seen a place with that much condensation but they seemed to think it was normal. (But maybe that was a different vlogger I can't quite recall)

Don't know who blue is, but I remember that flat had major condensation problems when they lived there. It looked like a big old building that had been shoddily made into tiny flats that weren't suitable for purpose. Landlords can get away with it because there are so many people who think Brighton is a cool and fashionable place to live. Keeps the rents of these places super high, when there are so many cheaper and imho nicer places along the south coast!

I don't think it's fair to accuse Maddie of that.... Obviously it wasn't visible at the time or she wouldn't have moved in.
I do feel like I remember seeing in old vlogs that they had a little vacuum thing just for getting moisture off the windows - I'd never seen a place with that much condensation but they seemed to think it was normal. (But maybe that was a different vlogger I can't quite recall)
I’m not saying that it is definitely the case that Maddie knew the extent of the problem and still encouraged Blue to move in, however I spoke with Blue over DMs and she said that no one told her about the mould problem before she moved in.

Obviously we don’t know for sure, but IF Maddie was aware, she didn’t tell Blue.

How awful for Blue. Mould/damp problems are all-consuming, stressful and so bad for your health. And all the long term solutions (remedial damp proofing, repointing, roof repair) are out of your hands if you are renting.

My advice to anyone in that situation is to get a few humidity gauges (cheap on Amazon or Lidl/Aldi sell weather stations for £10), dot them around the property and if the humidity is high get a dessicant dehumidifier. Meaco is an excellent brand. Not cheap but they are amazing and can bring moisture levels down dramatically in a few days. It wont fix structural problems but it will keep on top of things and means you can dry washing inside if you need to. Keep a record of humidity levels as it will help with terminating the lease early, getting a rent reduction etc.

I hope she can move somewhere safe soon. What a nightmare.

That harness is actually really disgusting to see. Maybe it's because I'm a very proud dog owner, but I only earn minimum wage and my dog got a new harness the moment it looked ever so slightly old because I a) care about the safety of my dog (if it rips and my dog escaped, I'd be devastated) but b) I have SO much pride in my dog. Like, I'm proud to pick up her poops I'm so proud of everything about her.

I hang out with a lot of dogs and I've never ever seen someone use a harness in such a state. If I passed that dog on the street, I'd be genuinely worried about animal abuse. If I child was dressed like that, I'd consider it neglect. Who lets their dog wears such a tatty harness?!
You are absolutely right! It's neglect!
I don't even think it has anything to do with being a very proud dog owner, I think any normal/decent person would buy their pet a good harness for safety of the pet. Most people I know would rather eat less ("starve") than letting their pet(s) suffer! If you really love your dog you would do anything to meet their needs. I'm not saying she doesn't love Roxie because I really think in her own way she cares a lot about her, but not enough to put Roxie before herself. I think if you can not offer your pet all they need (within reason, of course) you shouldn't take a pet. Of course things can happen, like you can get injured or sick, but that is not the case for Maddie. They are wealthy, capable people but they are failing their dog.
The more I think about how much they are neglecting her by not taking her for walks, not getting her a good harness, overfeeding her etc. the more upset I get! I'm so angry!

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.