Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tom_Nook

VIP Member
@Seven of Nine covered it I think, but here's mine!

At the start of the year Maddie and Alex moved into their new Georgian home. This was announced in a classic smug 'We've been keeping a secret...' Youtube video. Maddie disclosed that they had previously only been considering houses with two living rooms and it's been downhill from there really. The new home can never just be called a house and must always be referred to as a Georgian Home or Period Home or Georgian Farmhouse or some other wanky title. The gorgeous Wisteria also gets mentioned constantly.

They insisted that they love their new house and it's perfect, they then proceeded to make lots of big changes, like installing a new kitchen. Even though they managed with their cornish cottage kitchen for years, Maddie apparently needs a brand new huge kitchen for her job. They have a fridge and freezer big enough for a family of four (to fit inside) and have installed some huge cupboards that make the room feel nice and closed in. Oh and they have an Aga, which are known for being environmentally friendly.

Content wise, there has been a lack of food videos or any other non sponsored sit down video, and instead we've been treated to weekly vlog videos which mainly focus on Maddie repeating herself whinging about the beams in the kitchen while wandering around in huge tent dresses. These videos are part renovation update, part weekly vlog, often include a haul/ sponsored content and the branding of them is generally a mess. All videos now start with a 'highlight reel' which often includes someone laughing at a dog or Maddie telling us how great a brand is. She also uploads plenty of ADs, usually to Instagram. Youtube videos now heavily feature plinky plonky piano music and mimic 'slow living' style videos, even though they're not. There are three of them working on this content from their office in the garden of their Georgian Period Home.

Sustainability has gone out of the window since moving house and Maddie has recently purchased a new Apple Mac, replaced all their bedroom furniture, bought brand new furniture for their spare room, a new kitchen, a hot tub, plenty of new clothing and loads of plastic netting for their back garden which will be extra enjoyable for the local wildlife. They have also discussed getting a second car.

Maddie posted about there being some big scary changes, as far as we can deduce this was in relation to her leaving her management company. Speaking of work, 18 months into the pandemic Maddie gave us all the top advice to try setting up a separate workspace if we're struggling to focus at home. She also gave us a helpful video of her decluttering her tea cupboard, which was very insightful.

The house has had lots of problems which was the perfect opportunity for Maddie to publicly complain about every tradesman she's working with. She then wonders why no one wants to prioritise working with her. There was also a video on Instagram addressing 'haters' which seems to be directed here, but plenty of other comments have picked up on her lifestyle changes and apparent change of ethics.

Perhaps the only thing that has stayed the same is Maddie's constant flicking her hair around, touching her hair and refusal to tie up her hair when making food. Side note, if anyone finds a strand in their food it's likely to taste of whichever shampoo brand is sponsoring her that week.

They are now planning their wedding and Maddie has already been to see one venue without the groom, which is perfectly normal and fine. Everyone can't wait to see how sustainable the wedding is.

TLDR: Sustainability? We don't know her.

ETA I forgot to mention the sunglasses collaboration :eek:

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39

snarkvark

VIP Member
Hi Maddie's friend/family member 👋
I don't understand what friends/family of influencers think is going to happen when they come to forums like this to try to put a positive spin on their friend's shitty behaviour. Do they think everyone here is going to say, "oh yeah you've got a good point. I've totally changed my opinion and won't post here anymore"?

I've been watching Maddie's videos since she has single digit subscribers. Under 100. I've seen her channel evolve and change. All the different interests she's had and videos topics she's covered. I was watching when she was cycling every day and just got into minimalism. I watched her go to Thailand, get into zero waste, move to Cornwall, declutter over and over, and start renovating her house. I saw her attitude and positivity decline. She started doing things that aren't sustainable or vegan. I witnessed as her attitude got shitty and her behaviour even shittier as her morals eroded away every time a brand offered her money.

I fully support influencers who change, grow, learn, and acknowledge that. Maddie doesn't. She thinks she can continue to say she's a minimalist, vegan, sustainable while not following any of those princicples even loosely - or rather she thinks she can waive any accountability but saying she "doesn't use labels" when she literally built her entire YouTube career on labels!!!

I'm on this forum talking about her content because I miss when she filmed videos that were honest, open, and true to her word. It shocks me how much she's fallen away from her principles and how ignorant she's become to her privilege and the influence she has in regards to promoting excessive consumerism. She's so far removed from minimalism and sustainability now.

• Heart
Reactions: 30

grumpy_curry

I also really dislike this whole spiel we're sold these days about minimalism or zero waste being something aEsThEtIc. You know who is living minimalist? Poor people. People who reuse margarine containers and ice cream containers to pack their lunches, who reuse jam jars, not out of a visual impetus but out of necessity. People who cannot afford to replace their sofa every year to fit the current boho/industrial/whatever look. Who need to buy second hand because they don't have the money to shop new.

It just doesn't pull in viewers when you're living like that. Nobody wants to be sold on poverty and necessity, we all love the idea of minimalism or zero waste helping us into prosperity, even if its "immaterial" prosperity like peace of mind, order and structure, being a good person, etc. The glorification and commodification of poverty as being something virtuous.

(Not judging, I am the same.)

• Heart
Reactions: 30

grumpy_curry

I'm not a minimalist, by any stretch but Maddie has based a career on it, so it really bugged me in her video tonight where she said they were replacing a radiator in the living room. No mention that it was broken, just choosing to replace it. How many things now have they replaced just because they don't like it?

I have wardrobes that I bought in 2005, I don't really like them anymore because my tastes have changed and the doors don't shut properly either but I'm loth to replace them because they aren't falling apart. I can afford to replace them but I was brought up to not waste things, to use things until they fall apart or mend and make do and I haven't even based a career on minimalism, sustainability and protecting the planet. I don't even think people can't change their views on things but the news is all around us that our consumption is driving climate change and Maddie is making money off that whilst still being incredibly wasteful.
I'm the same, I have so many things that I once liked but now are anywhere from meh (kitchen chairs come to mind) to actually super uncomfortable amd hated (like my Ikea Kivik sofa. It's probably the most uncomfortable sofa I have ever owned, I hate it.)

But I have made it my mission to not buy anything I already own. So the sofa sucks. Well, I get up and move then. My kitchen chairs look dated? A seat cover made from thrifted curtains looks great.

Can she just... not? Not be such a superficial person? She's more privileged than 99.5% of the world, yet she's never happy with what she already has. It's sad and sickening at the same time. I never understood leaving their old house either, at least not while still under the impression that they're supposed to be minimalist. It was perfect for a couple with a dog, and even for one child it would have still been more than enough.

I know I know it's harsh but whining about stuff like having neighbours, cars driving by at night and street lights shining in their windows is such a privileged view on why you're selling your house.

Also this idea of having a "starter home". This is more a general complaint, not a Maddie specific one, but damn, it's just so symbolic for everything going wrong.

Never satisfied with where you are, never working with what you have but instead just chucking away the old and buying the new, wether it be a phone, laptop or house. Any time I watch Homes under the Hammer, its waste waste waste. You buy a property, and even if its renovated, you redo it anyway because the windows are not your style and the floors are not the exact shade of grey you'd like and the bathroom tiles are not metro style. Three years later you sell it and the next buyer does exactly the same thing, ripping out the carpets or vinyl or what have you, redoing the kitchen, adding another extension because who needs green space and grass and soil, chopping down any bush, tree or flower to tarmac it for two more car parking spaces.

You can see it with Maddie very much but it's also something I've experienced and see with others. Buying does not help with the alienation from our human nature and how working feels hollow and senseless. Its something corporations want to make us believe (see this "buying yourself stuff to be a minimalist" trend, too), but it's hollow and without satisfaction.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

Tom_Nook

VIP Member
It sounded like she wants to buy a whole shelf of hardback books just for aesthetic purposes! And a whole shelf of atlases, why? The irony of buying 5 copies of a book called 'Minimal' just for appearances as well. I think that says it all.

I used to love her channel and found her content so inspiring. Now I feel like I'm watching some posho who can't stop bragging about all the things they're spending money on. She's just rambling and gazing at herself in the viewfinder.

Reactions: 25

NowIsGood

Chatty Member
You're right, she has this all or nothing manic attitude to everything.
What makes me uneasy is how she pushes these phases onto her viewers as a sort of 'guru' and then she moves onto something else when she gets bored/is being paid to promote something.
Just some of her long forgotten phases:

Getting up at 6am to go to the gym everyday
Not using shampoo
Claiming acupuncture was the cure to everything
Quitting alcohol
Minimalism
Repairing and reusing/ buying second hand instead of buying new
Cycling
Not consuming unnecessary products
Only working with genuine sustainable brands

Have I forgotten anything else?! 🤣
Hey guys, I just looked through the comments on her new video and someone copied and pasted this post into her comments. I use this forum to have fun and gossip with like minded people about influencers, but personally choose to never post this stuff to her directly. If she wants to read this forum, that's up to her, but I don't want to cross the line of actually directly being mean to her if you know what I mean!
If you wanna post stuff in her comments that's totally cool, but I personally like to keep my options in the gossip forum!

Hope that didn't come across preaching, just didn't like seeing this on her comments, as it was intended for forum guys only 😢

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 25

marysmith93

IMG_731422C4B9DE-1.jpeg

It's genuinely laughable at this point. You can't post about multiple sofa/armchair purchases on your home account and then this on your main? Also, I remember that you could interact directly with her up until some months ago, but now her Stories interaction are off. I wonder if she got tired of people reacting "badly" to her stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: 24

ChamomilePee

The idea of filling bookshelves with books that you've never read but they fit your design aesthetic is just weird to me. She's so intent on curating a vision of her life rather than just living it. Can you imagine how she'd be with kids? "No we can't stick your painting on the fridge darling because it clashes with the sour-milk white and mildewed cabbage colour scheme on the walls" :LOL:

• Haha
  • Heart

oshare

VIP Member
Why is everybody looking down on Alex having had a bar job? Not everybody wants a high position job, some people don't have the drive, other people don't have the ambition. Alex, in general, doesn't seem to have many job ambitions, so maybe you guys are right and he felt all too happy quitting his job to work with Maddie.

Talking about this always reminds me of an old friend I had, her aunt had completed her PhD many years and had a Very Serious Job doing all kinds of Important Researches (haven't a clue what). She travelled all over the world for it and was very famous for it, she made tons of money. She was very very unhappy with it. At some point she had enough, quit her job and became a truck driver and she was the happiest she had ever been in her whole life because she finally had the job she always wanted to do.
That's why I hate it when people talk down on people having regular jobs as if it's not good enough or worse than what they currently have.
I'm not a fan of Alex at all, but just... this kind of narrative is not okay in my opinion. If someone likes it or just simply can't hold down/handle a different job isn't it fine?

• Heart

Seven of Nine

So clickbait-y. And sponsored by Huel but it’s not been made clear in the thumbnail image or video title.

What a shallow, miserable existence. No wonder she struggles with her mental health. I imagine she hates her life but it’s such easy money she can’t stop.

Or maybe I’m giving her too much credit and she has zero conscience and sees no problem in how she lives.
Guys I’ve made a complaint to the ASA makes me feel petty but I’m also so sick for influencers and there stealth ads. Like treat us with respect and declare

• Heart
Reactions: 23

ChamomilePee

Well you can see why she's never held down an actual 'real' job in her life...can you imagine how the conversation with her boss at an annual performance review would go? "Well actually, your criticism of my work is just projection and when you talk to me like this it makes me not want to show up for work" :LOL:

I'm also wondering when the words 'be kind' became an influencer mantra for "never hold me accountable for my actions and words ever" because I'm seeing it an awful lot these days.

I get that people change and move through different seasons in their lives. The issue is that Madeleine continues to promote herself as an environmental/sustainability/minimalism focused influencer, not just to her viewers, but to businesses and companies in return for financial gain. She continues to do this even while telling her viewers that these things are not so important to her these days and that she "doesn't want to label herself". That just seems manifestly dishonest to me.

Reactions: 23

AsterSalonen

For someone who has just spent nearly 2k on a tap, a video of her doing budget anything feels patronising, and sticks in my throat.

• Wow
Reactions: 22

ChamomilePee

Well if you ever wondered what her USP is these days, she seems to have set herself up as a 'Greenwasher' for any business or organisation that is prepared to pay her enough. She's their ideal demographic - a wealthy white female consumer in the 25 - 45yr age band living in a developed country.

The video was sponsored by the CPSO (Centre for Sustainable Palm Oil Studies) which was set up by the Malaysian Government and is a massive attempt to greenwash the industry. Can we count the red flags here? Even Greenpeace describes 'sustainable palm oil certification' as "useless as a chocolate teapot" I guess it's hard to do any independent research when a sponsor waves dollars in front of you. One has a peloton and a wedding to pay for don't you know?

She also completely ignores the facts that the palm oil industry is rife with human trafficking, child exploitation, and human rights abuses. Oh and let's not forget the pesticides and herbicides used that affect the land and the workers exposed to them.

• Heart
  • Wow

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
I noticed the low engagement too.

Influencers can hate on Tattle all they want but a lot of what is said here is the canary in the mineshaft as far as when things start to go wrong for the influencer’s career.

They shouldn’t read here but a savvy influencer would ask a trusted agent to read everything and make note of all constructive criticism, try to discuss it in as impersonal way as possible. Then changes could be made before followers check out.

I’m not sitting here saying ‘we’re actually doing them a FAVOUR’, of course not, we’re hear to dissect for our own amusement. But there’s a lot of articulate criticism, and on madeleines threads you can read how disappointed people are in her - that’s genuine and in a lot of industries you have to literally pay for that level of insight 🤷‍♀️

• Heart

ChamomilePee

Lol @ her having a whine about her instagram numbers. They're dropping because you are about as interesting as a grapefruit and all you post are ads and dull beach shots. Plus people aren't stupid and can see through your fake-as-f*ck greenwashing and sustainability crap.
Lol @ her saying she's been 'neglecting her self care'. Her whole existence is nothing BUT self care, whiny entitlement and self-indulgence. When has she ever gone without?
Oh and yet another round of pumpkin soup and mushy vegetable stew. Why does she think she's a great cook? Everything she cooks is basically sloppy coconut curries and noodles or rice doused in tahini and soy sauce. I'm sure all she does is look for recipes on pinterest.

Last edited:

eeksorry

Someone needs to tell these influencers that minimalism doesn't mean doing a big clear out every year of the tat they've acquired! That's literally just the standard cycle of overconsumption

I also don't see what's so bad about Alex still having clothes he had when they met 11 years ago

• Heart

ChamomilePee

I get the feeling that Madeleine thinks that once the #Georgian kitchen is finished her viewers will all magically reappear. I think she badly miscalculated this one - she had the opportunity to produce some interesting content (gardening/renovation meals) but she sold out to any company willing to offer her money. Things have changed a lot over the last 18 months and there's literally hundreds of people across all social media platforms producing plant-based content these days. Younger people are far more likely to watch a short recipe video on tiktok than a 15-minute youtube video and even I can't be bothered watching a full cooking video (and don't really have the time). I would much prefer to look up a recipe on a blog which I usually find via Pinterest.

There's still a few youtubers I enjoy watching and I don't even mind the ads because they are usually products they are genuinely interested in and have used - not just the latest crap PR crap that has been sent to them. Dressing like a scullery maid to promote Samsung washing machines was incredibly stupid and just...obnoxious. Spouting on about 'slow living' when you really have no idea about the origins and ethos of the slow living movement just served to prove that Madeleine is so far up her own arse that she's lost touch with reality.

Tom_Nook

VIP Member
Keep in mind there are FOUR toilets in that house if you count the separate one in the office. There's the main bathroom, one in the utility, and a tiny ensuite attached to one of the spare bedrooms (plus the office).
I can't imagine having four toilets and still wanting to go and wash my face in the same room as someone having a shit.

ETA I could have left this comment as 'I can't imagine having four toilets'.

• Haha

NowIsGood

Chatty Member
Yup skipped 90% of that.
Does she realise moaning that her tens of thousands of pounds worth of home renovations is 'getting to them' is so painfully privileged and obnoxious.
I think she just does it to wind people up at this point, or is she that clueless? When so many people are struggling and utility bills are through the roof. The way she wastes and throws around money is ugly.

• Heart
Reactions: 21