Madeleine Olivia #2 Sustainability is so 2018, Buy my affiliates if you want to be green!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Exactly. My bookshelves are full of books, old and new, that we love and mean something to us. I can’t imagine acquiring a set of books just for how they look.
It’s another example of how much Maddie has changed.
A set of old encyclopaedias is something I’d expect to see on shelves in a pub not in someone’s home.
Lol it reminds me of a few Wetherspoons I've been in do this! They bulk buy the most random old fashioned books to fill up their shelf's to make it look homely and rustic! It always amused me, I can't believe people do this is their own houses though! 😅

Basically 'tell visitors to your house you don't read without telling them you don't read!'

Reactions: 3
I think it's "okay" to buy leather second hand or as a hand-me-down. I once received a very beautiful wool scarf from my aunt as a hand me down. She is not vegan and didn't use the scarf anymore, she thought I would like it and I did. It's been many years and I still use it. She didn't know it had wool in it and doesn't really understand it. She also gave me a leather jacket for the same reasons. It didn't fit me so I gave it to someone else (w/ her permission) and they still wear it, too. I still have 2 pair of leather boots from before I went vegan. I would not purchase them again, but I'm not going to give them away "just because". They are beautiful boots, they fit me well and I'll never find another pair like this so why put them away? They are my "nice boots" and very timeless, so they will last me until I can't put my feet into them anymore probably as an old lady lol.

It's different for everybody, there is no right or wrong here. Vegan leather is not all that great, so I understand if people buy leather boots that last a very very long time in stead of plastic vegan leather boots that you have to re-buy every 6 months. There is something to say for both sides. Personally I don't feel comfortable buying new ones, but I understand if people (for reasons i just mentioned) do. Second hand is a great option too and sustainable, too.

Not me defending Maddie here though. Just general talk.

Feeling bad for Roxie the dog. I don't understand why she has a PT and a fitness bike, if you have bike why can't you just run, walk or bike with your doggie?

Reactions: 17
Vegans don't buy new leather (or any animal product) regardless of whether the alternatives won't last as long. If you by new animal products then you're not vegan. But I agree that buying second-hand stuff is fine although not all vegans feel comfortable doing that either. I'm not vegan and I don't care what people choose to do. But I don't think people should go around calling htemselves vegan when they don't follow the ethical practice by buying animal products. A few influencers do this and it really grinds my gears. Like Jessica Rose Williams. She calls herself vegan but has purchased new wool jumpers, wool carpet, and leather shoes!!!

I do think it's weird for maddie to get leather bound books when there ar eplenty of secondhand books she could have bought instead or been given for free. doesn't she feel weird about having stuff that's made from animals when they'r enot essential? (I understand buying secondhand leather shoes but books? why?) especially when she's putting them on her shelf to "look pretty".

Reactions: 5
Vegans don't buy new leather (or any animal product) regardless of whether the alternatives won't last as long. If you by new animal products then you're not vegan. But I agree that buying second-hand stuff is fine although not all vegans feel comfortable doing that either. I'm not vegan and I don't care what people choose to do. But I don't think people should go around calling htemselves vegan when they don't follow the ethical practice by buying animal products. A few influencers do this and it really grinds my gears. Like Jessica Rose Williams. She calls herself vegan but has purchased new wool jumpers, wool carpet, and leather shoes!!!

I do think it's weird for maddie to get leather bound books when there ar eplenty of secondhand books she could have bought instead or been given for free. doesn't she feel weird about having stuff that's made from animals when they'r enot essential? (I understand buying secondhand leather shoes but books? why?) especially when she's putting them on her shelf to "look pretty".
I think a lot of influencers like the term "vegan" when in fact they are "only" plant-based. That's still great, but i hate it when people go around calling themselves vegan when they aren't, they are plant-based. That is something that really grinds my gears, too.

• Heart
I think a lot of influencers like the term "vegan" when in fact they are "only" plant-based. That's still great, but i hate it when people go around calling themselves vegan when they aren't, they are plant-based. That is something that really grinds my gears, too.
They want the credit without actually doing anything.

• Heart
Exactly. My bookshelves are full of books, old and new, that we love and mean something to us. I can’t imagine acquiring a set of books just for how they look.
It’s another example of how much Maddie has changed.
A set of old encyclopaedias is something I’d expect to see on shelves in a pub not in someone’s home.
The only time I buy books for how they look are when I’m collecting, I do have a collection of vintage Jane Austen, Agatha Christie and some folios. But it’s only books I love and I do re-read them, plus a lot are books my grandad collected that I’ve finished his collection when I inherited them. I just can’t imagine having books and not at least having read them. I love looking at my books being able to pick on to reread because I love it or lend it to someone and having good memories associated with them.

I’m absolutely fine with second hand leather, I actually do prefer to buy second hand leather over anything any vegan alternative as it tends to last longer, is cheaper and most vegan alternatives are just plastic. But I also haven’t had the need to in years as most of my pre vegan leathers are still in excellent condition.

I think a lot of people in general call themselves vegan when they’re not. The amount of times someone is “vegan” and then buys items that aren’t because they only associate vegan with diet.

3C330C86-7AA5-487B-BDC7-D1A56A1E8330.jpeg

Venetia La Manna just posted this to her stories and it just made me think of Maddie especially the “wearing shapeless linen in earth tones”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Feeling bad for Roxie the dog. I don't understand why she has a PT and a fitness bike, if you have bike why can't you just run, walk or bike with your doggie?
Because a walk isn't a status symbol that requires expensive equipment or a costly subscription to brag about.
Its the way she tried to justify it by saying how much she walked her during lockdown- That was a year ago! Roxie is just another thing she's got bored of, it's very sad.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
It’s interesting, the different levels of veganism and minimalism. I don’t eat meat, fish and very rarely eat dairy (hate eggs, milk and a lot of cheeses as a whole but if they’re in things in small quantities then I do eat them) and people think I’m vegan for that reason but I’m not and never call myself that. I don’t buy leather or animal based products (or much of anything really) if I can help it but yes, I’m ‘just’ a bog standard vegetarian and have been most of my life. Maddie may well be vegan but minimalist she is not.

i just finished watching her vlogmas and finding it very bizarre that she is considered a minimalist/wrote a book on minimalism 😅

Reactions: 1
It’s interesting, the different levels of veganism and minimalism. I don’t eat meat, fish and very rarely eat dairy (hate eggs, milk and a lot of cheeses as a whole but if they’re in things in small quantities then I do eat them) and people think I’m vegan for that reason but I’m not and never call myself that. I don’t buy leather or animal based products (or much of anything really) if I can help it but yes, I’m ‘just’ a bog standard vegetarian and have been most of my life. Maddie may well be vegan but minimalist she is not.
there's different levels of minimalism but not veganism. that's because veganism is a ethical code not a lifestyle. there are different interpretations of minimalism because it was originally a form of abstract art not a lifestyle and then devleoped a bunch of different meanings. veganism has always been about the ethical treatment of animals that seeks to avoid the use of animals whre practical and possible. part of that ethical code is a plant-based diet. being vegan is about following that ethical code with every choice you make, not just about the diet you eat. people who aren't vegans might think you're vegan because you mostly eat plant-based, don't buy leather, etc. but you're not vegan. being a minimalist is more open to interpretation, there's differnet forms like how you dress, what your home looks like, how many possessions you own and there can be varying degress of that. while it might be argued you can't be a minimalist if you own lots and lots of stuff (I agree) it really depends on what that stuff is. if you have lots of books but you read them all, or craft supplies that you use all the time, that stuff isn't clutter. if you fill your home with things you don't need or use (like maddie has) that's clutter. it isn't minimalist to continue to shop for things you don't need or even really want.

Roxie is just another thing she's got bored of, it's very sad.
this is really sad to think but I believe you. I think maddie got a dog because they're cute. like a lot of people, she didn't actually consider how that dog fit into her life and she certainly didn't commit to caring for her. so many influencers do this is horrifying!

Reactions: 9
there's different levels of minimalism but not veganism. that's because veganism is a ethical code not a lifestyle. there are different interpretations of minimalism because it was originally a form of abstract art not a lifestyle and then devleoped a bunch of different meanings. veganism has always been about the ethical treatment of animals that seeks to avoid the use of animals whre practical and possible. part of that ethical code is a plant-based diet. being vegan is about following that ethical code with every choice you make, not just about the diet you eat. people who aren't vegans might think you're vegan because you mostly eat plant-based, don't buy leather, etc. but you're not vegan. being a minimalist is more open to interpretation, there's differnet forms like how you dress, what your home looks like, how many possessions you own and there can be varying degress of that. while it might be argued you can't be a minimalist if you own lots and lots of stuff (I agree) it really depends on what that stuff is. if you have lots of books but you read them all, or craft supplies that you use all the time, that stuff isn't clutter. if you fill your home with things you don't need or use (like maddie has) that's clutter. it isn't minimalist to continue to shop for things you don't need or even really want.
Yes, you’re right. I got that completely arse about face didn’t I 😂

Reactions: 1
Its the way she tried to justify it by saying how much she walked her during lockdown- That was a year ago! Roxie is just another thing she's got bored of, it's very sad.
A dog needs walking everyday, one of the main reasons we got a dog, he is currently on rest as he's hurt his elbow and as much as it's sending him crazy my mental health has also suffered. The amount Maddie talks about herself you would think she would use Roxie as an excuse to get out and have some time to herself and good for her mental health.

Reactions: 5
I just find the whole idea of putting books in your bookshelves purely for aesthetic reasons, that you have never read/have no intention of reading to be really pretentious (and weird). I'm looking at my bookshelves right now and it's full of well-loved scruffy paperbacks, some random hardbacks, books about art, gardening, photography, and random crafts, and some recipe books. There's also random stones, bones, lego, a single sock, and an apple core (yuk!). I can't fathom keeping unread books in a case just because they look fancy/posh. Stuff like this really gives an insight into how fake she is and how desperately she tries to be someone she isn't.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I think she's just desperate to have her house full of stuff in a hurry, so that it looks "done". What she's doing with the books - i.e buying old books in bulk for show rather than taking the time to accumulate them over years - is exactly what she's done with her other decor. She went a bought a whole bunch of things all at once for her kitchen as well, just to fill it up. I get wanting your new house to feel like home, but somehow I don't think that's what is happening here.

Having anxiety can make you restless and obsessive (I know, I've been there). I hope she gets the help she needs because endlessly collecting other people's clutter isn't going to make her feel fulfilled.

Reactions: 11
I think she's just desperate to have her house full of stuff in a hurry, so that it looks "done". What she's doing with the books - i.e buying old books in bulk for show rather than taking the time to accumulate them over years - is exactly what she's done with her other decor. She went a bought a whole bunch of things all at once for her kitchen as well, just to fill it up. I get wanting your new house to feel like home, but somehow I don't think that's what is happening here.

Having anxiety can make you restless and obsessive (I know, I've been there). I hope she gets the help she needs because endlessly collecting other people's clutter isn't going to make her feel fulfilled.
I think you're exactly right! This need of hers to have 'stuff' and to get the house 'finished' are definitely drived by anxiety. I know I buy stuff I don't need when I feel like my life isn't within my control and my anxiety is bad.

The reality is most homes aren't ever finished - they're ever evolving just like the people in them! A new book, a new blanket, perhaps 10 years in you upgrade the sofa. There's a breakup and half the furniture goes, a new partner moves in down the line with their record collection and one too many guitars, a baby arrives, a great aunt dies leaving you her dining table etc etc.

Reactions: 14
i wonder if she's angling for a home tour? maybe shifting her content away from minimalism and sustainability (she kind of has to now she doesnt follow either of those principles!!) and towards interiors, home decor, etc etc

Reactions: 4
i wonder if she's angling for a home tour? maybe shifting her content away from minimalism and sustainability (she kind of has to now she doesnt follow either of those principles!!) and towards interiors, home decor, etc etc
If she is she needs to start getting more creative. And either be more relatable, or even less and go to the luxury segment.

Because right now she's narrowed down her audience to the slight upper middle class british homemaker. There aren't many of these around.

So much of her content could have been so much more interesting if she wasn't so self involved and took everything so personal.

For example: the issues with her handymen. Why not make a series out of that? Investigate a bit? Talk to people? I would have loved to have seen where those sash windows she was planning on getting are made and how the process works. Some hard numbers on the sustainability of wood vs pvc or whatever.

Be *helpful* to others who face the same issue? No, instead she's having a moan and keeps calling people out. Because she is offended when things don't go her way, as if supply chain and labour issues are a personal affront to her, specifically.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I absolutely agree with you. I also think it's a bit the state of our current society. You have to have things ready and done ASAP. If you wait, you waste. I remember my friends bought a house and moved in but ended up living in half-finished house for quite a long time and they got a lot of sh*t for it "why are you not done yet" "couldn't you have done X or Y in the evening/weekend/morning to get it finished" "it's so messy". They just wanted to take their time and adjust to their liking as they renovated and decorated (their house was stripped down and completely empty, so they had to) and just do it whenever they wanted and how they wanted without pressure and they were very happy with every progress. Isn't it fine? it's their house after all. These days the pressure to have a house ready, done and picture perfect is too big and unrealistic for most people.
I'm looking for my own place too and I have already said to many people that I want to get as little items as possible and then see what i need and look for items (preferably second-handed / hand me downs) without pressure and hurry.

I think she's trying to get some sort of validation and satisfaction from finishing things. I get it, it's satisfying and fulfilling, but outside validation only lasts so long before you need more of that dopamine rush, so you keep craving more and more.

Reactions: 6
I think she's trying to get some sort of validation and satisfaction from finishing things. I get it, it's satisfying and fulfilling, but outside validation only lasts so long before you need more of that dopamine rush, so you keep craving more and more.
it's insane how quickly they renovated their home, decorated, bought things, paid for literal stuff to fill it with. how could tha thave been an enjoyable process? how do you know what you need until you've used the space and figured things out? almost everything was bought new and rushed to fit it in with a few token secondhand purchases (like the books) to make it seem like it was sustainably done, which it was not. giving things to other people bnecause you want to buy a new sofa is not sustainable. the sustainable thing would be to keep that sofa until it wore out. or buy a secondhand one because there are so many online and in thrift stores.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
it's insane how quickly they renovated their home, decorated, bought things, paid for literal stuff to fill it with. how could tha thave been an enjoyable process? how do you know what you need until you've used the space and figured things out? almost everything was bought new and rushed to fit it in with a few token secondhand purchases (like the books) to make it seem like it was sustainably done, which it was not. giving things to other people bnecause you want to buy a new sofa is not sustainable. the sustainable thing would be to keep that sofa until it wore out. or buy a secondhand one because there are so many online and in thrift stores.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Personally, I think it's more fulfilling to look for just the right items online (second-handed i mean, like on marketplace) until you find the one you like.

My late grandmother grew up in extreme poverty, but she was super good at saving money and even though she later lived in good financial state she kept saving money for new items when she needed something new. She got so much satisfaction from saving money until she could finally replace her favorite chair that broke down. She saved money for it for 2 years, I can still remember it so well and she kept talking about that new chair for at least 2 more years, that's how happy she was with it lol. THAT is super satisfying. I want to achieve that level of dedication when it comes to finding and saving for the right item/right timing. She was able to get so much out of one purchase because other things in life (her family) was most important to her, she was content.

As for Maddie, it's just a quick rush.. shopping does not quench her desire for contentment.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.