Lucy Letby Case #65 Guilty

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not watching, you can’t see the victim statements so just reading. The sentencing will be televised though, apparently at 2 although possibly at 12.30.
Sky news are reading the victim statements, I've read them here but hearing the words said is so powerful, those poor, poor parents.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
I have followed along since the beginning but don't post much as I haven't had time, and haven't had time to read every day of the trial live either so there's stuff I have missed.

The victim impact statements have been heartbreaking to read. Child N's mother choosing to homeschool her son is particularly resonant for me because I homeschool my own son, not for anywhere near as horrendous a reason, but also because I feel he wasn't kept safe by professionals. Due to issues during his birth and subsequent health issues I also have massive problems trusting medical professionals - I simply don't have faith they have my best interests at heart any more. I think this awful case speaks to a wider issue around deifying the NHS and all its staff. I am *not* slagging off NHS staff - many of whom I've come across are absolutely lovely - but it is NOT helpful to place the institution and individual staff members beyond criticism. People seeking help are often patronised, belittled, sneered at, made to feel like they are a burden on resources, and made to feel like they can't question the judgement of professionals. I really hope that patients speaking with medical professionals (and, frankly, parents speaking with educational professionals, though that's totally off topic for this thread) are empowered to be able to advocate for themselves and their children more, to question when something doesn't feel right without being made to feel they are a nuisance and a bother.

No punishment is enough for her to be honest (I refuse to name her). I'm struggling to think of something that would be equal and there's just nothing.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
oh it wouldnt

she would never have to live a single moment again- never have to face the hatred of others toward her or be watching over her shoulder (which she will for now in prison)
The death penalty would only take away any potential for pain on her part

it wouldn’t take away the pain for the victims and their families

ok glad we don’t have the death penalty

And as she is facing a whole life order- thankfully these families will never have to face a parole hearing for her

so she just gets to have all her freedoms removed and be in a small space watching her back for a very long time

Death Penalty would be good for her

Evil excuse for a woman

Reactions: 8
There’s obviously at least 8 of them who feel strongly enough to want to turn up to court to see the sentence delivered.

Yeah of course, I’ve followed this case closely since October and recognise that there is significant trauma for jury members too, however I just feel it’s inappropriate to have no outcome or real decision on those remaining babies’ murder as surely having sat through a trial of 9 months you’d be hard pressed to convince anyone of her innocence regarding anything pertinent to the case.

Reactions: 10
Yes. So it's extra baffling to me that they couldn't reach a verdict.

A lot of the criticism of this case has been the lack of direct evidence. But this is a case where there WAS direct evidence - Ravi Jayram saw her standing over baby K doing nothing whilst she deteriorated. BNE staying silent for the relevant time period in court was also one of the most powerful moments for me. I just don't get it.
I think they may have decided if it was a murder charge, which it was originally downgraded from.

‘LL attempted to murder her, and she did die, but it’s not murder’ is a confusing position to start from really. And I think anything particularly confusing this jury wasn’t happy to give a verdict on (same with N, where I’m convinced but think the haemophilia got in the way of the jury deciding).

Reactions: 8
I’m so fed up with hearing people say that they are waiting with bated breath to hear what the judge says, and ‘there must be some reason’ why she did this. There is no fixing someone with this level of sociopathy. But they are waiting for a big reveal 😖 I don’t hear anyone saying there must be some unanswered puzzle as to why Rex Heuermann killed women.
People are obsessed with the idea that evil people can be "fixed". Some people are just evil, no explanation, nothing - they were born that way.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Thanks, this is really useful information and fully understandable.

I suppose I was asking because part of me felt it could verge on disrespectful by just referring to them with a single letter - almost like unmarked graves where the name of someone who died isn't known.

But your post makes me feel better now as it's clearly been done for several very good reasons.
I know what you mean, we want to ‘humanise’ them.

I’m slow today and just read about baby G; poor little girl. It’s a murder just the same in a way, as the life she should have had has been taken from her.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
New to this thread - I was following early on but then my own baby passed away and I found it too hard to keep up with the trial.

I’m at work with tears in my eyes at the thought of something so cruel being done to an innocent and defenceless child 💔 As someone who has lost a baby, albeit not at the hands of another ‘person’ (words I would like to describe her with are not appropriate) I will hold the parents in my heart forever.

I would love to know these poor babies names to be able to honour them in some way, but I know they’re not being released.

I’m so glad she is getting what she deserves and I hope someone gets hold of her in prison somehow.
So sorry for your loss @Miss M. I can't imagine what you are going through 💔

• Heart
Reactions: 12
All the hospital execs who failed to listen to the consultants warnings should be sacked
Sadly except one of them, most of those directly involved in the cover up have 'retired'. I hope that they have their NHS pensions stripped from them.

Reactions: 14
Why are these scumbags given a choice to appear in court or not? To me it’s just another crime to these peoples families and the victims themselves, it’s disgusting

Reactions: 3
I think they may have decided if it was a murder charge, which it was originally downgraded from.

‘LL attempted to murder her, and she did die, but it’s not murder’ is a confusing position to start from really. And I think anything particularly confusing this jury wasn’t happy to give a verdict on (same with N, where I’m convinced but think the haemophilia got in the way of the jury deciding).
I've thought the same about N's haemophilia too ☹

Reactions: 4
Mr Johnson asks if Lucy Letby wishes to change any of her answers from yesterday. Letby: "No."

Mr Johnson asks if handover sheets were handed out to student nurses.

Letby said she would have handover sheets as a student nurse at some placements, but in the neonatal unit she cannot recall specifically. She tells the court it was not standard practice at the neonatal unit to hand out handover sheets to student nurses "for the time we are talking about".

Mr Johnson says one of the handover sheets, dated June 1, 2010, was in a keep-sake box with roses on the box, when Letby was a student nurse [Letby having started full-time employment at the hospital on January 2, 2012]. Letby says she cannot recall it.

Mr Johnson asks what is "unusual" about the handover sheet, and how it differs from the others.

Letby is unsure what Mr Johnson means.

Mr Johnson: "It is in pristine condition."

Letby: "It's the original?"

Mr Johnson: "Yes."

Letby: "Ok."
This might seem very minor but I cannot understand how she got the sheet home in pristine condition. Even as a student, any A4 size piece of paper I put into my portfolio would always get messed up a little. She must have taken such care to get that sheet home in pristine condition.

• Sick
Reactions: 23
To all the newbies - we were discussing on previous threads about maybe making a donation to your local NICU/baby loss charities in memory of those poor little souls(If you have the money to do so of course as we are in a COL crisis). If you were feeling compelled to do so maybe this would be a fab idea if you wanted to buy a pin that the families are wearing etc but aren’t able to as they aren’t for sale ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Mr Johnson asks if Lucy Letby wishes to change any of her answers from yesterday. Letby: "No."

Mr Johnson asks if handover sheets were handed out to student nurses.

Letby said she would have handover sheets as a student nurse at some placements, but in the neonatal unit she cannot recall specifically. She tells the court it was not standard practice at the neonatal unit to hand out handover sheets to student nurses "for the time we are talking about".

Mr Johnson says one of the handover sheets, dated June 1, 2010, was in a keep-sake box with roses on the box, when Letby was a student nurse [Letby having started full-time employment at the hospital on January 2, 2012]. Letby says she cannot recall it.

Mr Johnson asks what is "unusual" about the handover sheet, and how it differs from the others.

Letby is unsure what Mr Johnson means.

Mr Johnson: "It is in pristine condition."

Letby: "It's the original?"

Mr Johnson: "Yes."

Letby: "Ok."
Just to note it's unlikely she harmed any babies while being a student as you have to be supervised for procedures so there wouldn't be much opportunity for her to interfere. Just one small silver lining in this dreadful case.

Child Is mum has made me cry
. She was a torturer a beast, she kept on harming her , that precious baby fought so hard. Evil bleep witch.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.