Lily Pebbles #5 Baby Greige turns one in age; but don't be silly, it's all about Lily!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve changed my dream job. I’d now like to be employed by ASA to take down influencers that don’t adhere to standards.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I mean can they not put ‘AD- gifted <note that this is not a paid engagement> ‘

Fluer is lovely I don’t think she has a hate thread here, she sums it up well. At least she has an opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Vix Meldrew has another post up about how hard it is to be an influencer. She spells it all out for all the dumb people out there. Bohoo, you have to think about your blogpost before you post? Bohoo, people don’t understand that more work than you see goes into a photo? Sorry, that’s literally the same in every job! And I think unless you work in a particular job, you don’t know all the details about background stuff, so yeah, bohoo for influencers. That woe-is-me post is so patronising, it’s hilarious. Surprised Lily hasn’t commented on it yet about how REAL and true it is.

Reactions: 15
Vix Meldrew has another post up about how hard it is to be an influencer. She spells it all out for all the dumb people out there. Bohoo, you have to think about your blogpost before you post? Bohoo, people don’t understand that more work than you see goes into a photo? Sorry, that’s literally the same in every job! And I think unless you work in a particular job, you don’t know all the details about background stuff, so yeah, bohoo for influencers. That woe-is-me post is so patronising, it’s hilarious. Surprised Lily hasn’t commented on it yet about how REAL and true it is.
If you don’t like your job why don’t you seek out another one? Oh yeh because they know that actually being an influencer is incredibly easy compared to a normal full time job

Reactions: 17
Gosh, they are so whiny. As far as I recall German influencers have to post „Ad” even if they tag different account. It is the law, what can’t they just follow the rules and move on.
FFS just put AD how you are supposed to and then whatever tf you want afterwards, or change your job. Those are the rules in the industry you chose to work in.
Honestly, the Way ASA put it is not cofusing to me at all, but their use of: PR this, PR that, Aff, not Aff, Ad but No, Ad but yes..... Honestly, we are not stypid, we know.
And saying that those rules do not know how PR industry works. Honey, PR was way before you could type „Free Jo Malone” info Google
by this point my starting point is: everything is in one way or another sponsoring their lazy, egocentric and freebie life.

no No, Free haircut every month with the same salon is not experience, It is a Relationship with a brand that is regular and they pay you in (crappy) hair.

Reactions: 10
Of course Hirons has to weigh in pretending it is difficult. You are sent something for free, even if you didn't ask for it - AND THEN TALK ABOUT IT FAVOURABLY = #AD.
🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 15

Seriously. Patronising much. I imagine a nurse does a lot more than I know.

Reactions: 11
As someone put earlier, they’re just annoyed cos their audience can see just how much free stuff they’re sent and they have to be incredibly transparent. It’s to stop audiences being mislead etc so why wouldn’t you be in favour of it? Tbh it’s not hard to just quickly explain whether you bought it or were sent it? They make it seem like such a chore when really it’s just the same as writing a caption?

Reactions: 18
I actually agree with them. For me an AD (advert) is when let’s say Maybelline pays Lilly to promote and advertise their product - do a separate video, igtv, post, or all of it.
If Maybelline just send it to her for free and didn’t pay for promoting it, and she mentions it - it’s not an advert, because she hasn’t been paid to promote it. There are lots of websites where you get send all sorts of products to try them and write reviews, but you don’t get paid for them.
I might be just a stupid girl without a first in PR, lol, but that’s what I think.

Reactions: 2
Of course Hirons has to weigh in pretending it is difficult. You are sent something for free, even if you didn't ask for it - AND THEN TALK ABOUT IT FAVOURABLY = #AD.
🤦‍♀️
Why does she need to get her 2 cents worth in ALL the time? Like genuinely EVERYTHING she has to air her opinion on. It's ridiculous.

• Angry
I actually agree with them. For me an AD (advert) is when let’s say Maybelline pays Lilly to promote and advertise their product - do a separate video, igtv, post, or all of it.
If Maybelline just send it to her for free and didn’t pay for promoting it, and she mentions it - it’s not an advert, because she hasn’t been paid to promote it. There are lots of websites where you get send all sorts of products to try them and write reviews, but you don’t get paid for them.
I might be just a stupid girl without a first in PR, lol, but that’s what I think.
I agree with you about paid adverts... however brands send Lily tit with the intention that she will hopefully post about it. If she does then it should be clear she got it for free. She hasn’t spent the time researching and handed over her own cash and wouldn’t have mentioned that product otherwise. It’s advertising.

I agree with you about paid adverts... however brands send Lily tit with the intention that she’s posts about it. If she does then it should be clear she got it for free. She hasn’t spent the time researching and handed over her own cash and wouldn’t have mentioned that product otherwise. It’s advertising.
I don’t know, whenever I saw “gifted” I always thought that the blogger is going to like a product a bit more just because it was free. I never ever bought any product promoted by a blogger (whether it was gifted or paid for promoting)without researching it.
also I remember times when bloggers would mention products they didn’t like, and now they don’t. I guess they are terrified that if they don’t like one Glossier/Jo Malone/Charlotte Tilbury/etc product and publicly say it, they wouldn’t get any other ones.

Reactions: 10
your example works fine for a mascara. But what about being sent Golden Goose trainers, or a Prada handbag or invited to go on an all inclusive holiday for free. What about being invited to have a car on loan for free. What if a kitchen company offers you a free kitchen?

Should those be disclosed or should they remain undisclosed like the mascara? How would you draft the rules to force the influencer to declare they’ve been given a free holiday but they can post about the mascara with out disclosure?

Reactions: 12
your example works fine for a mascara. But what about being sent Golden Goose trainers, or a Prada handbag or invited to go on an all inclusive holiday for free. What about being invited to have a car on loan for free. What if a kitchen company offers you a free kitchen?

Should those be disclosed or should they remain undisclosed like the mascara? How would you draft the rules to force the influencer to declare they’ve been given a free holiday but they can post about the mascara with out disclosure?
I’d want to know if it was fully gifted or discounted, if it makes sense. But I don’t care if they say “gifted” or “Ad-gifted”. The second one for me personally is more confusing, actually, because I first see the word Ad and think “oh, they have been paid to promote X”, and then I may see the word “gifted” and think - oh, actually it was a gift.
it works even with expensive things - it is one thing to be gifted a £1500 bag and a whole other thing to be gifted a £1500 bag AND to be paid whatever money on top of that.

Reactions: 5
In a sense they have been paid via the free item though. The problem is being sent a free mascara with no expectation to post about it is one thing.

But if a brand emails and says hey have a free holiday, no expectation of coverage just have a free one on us. The brand knows that influencers film every sodding aspect of their life so if the influencer takes the free holiday even if coverage was not requested or agreed the brand still gets it because the influencer posts where they are etc. Is it fair the viewer doesn’t know? and is it fair that the brand is effectively getting free advertising with out it being clear to the viewer

same scenario with the bag. Influencer gets sent a £1500 bag free with no discussion about coverage. They start to use it and feature it in their posts. Viewers ask about it. The brand gets free advertising by stealth.

Yet the brand that pays the influencer for coverage has to have ad slapped on their post. You need to consider this through the prism of market fairness. It fair that some companies compensate influencers for ads and have to have a disclosure but if you send your product for free you don’t have to?

The rules are for the public’s protection. Yes it’s a blunt instrument but brands were being sneaky giving influencers free holidays, bags, clothes and no rules applied to disclosing those. It created the illusion that influencers were paying for things they weren’t and things given for free are more likely to be given a favourable or positive sentiment by the influencer.

Influencers have mudded the water by making up terms like Ad Gifted. The ASA has never stipulated terms other than stating that it must be clear what is an advert including not hiding it amongst hashtags or in the comments.

They want you to believe it’s the regulator that’s made everything confusing where as in reality they hate having to disclose the free items, affiliate links etc. I get you may find it confusing but I don’t. Also I would rather people be confused and find it overkill but aware that the product or service has been given for free or featured for a payment so that there’s an indication what’s happened and that it may cause the influencer to be more positive about that product or service because they haven’t purchased it themselves.

In a sense they have been paid via the free item though. The problem is being sent a free mascara with no expectation to post about it is one thing.

But if a brand emails and says hey have a free holiday, no expectation of coverage just have a free one on us. The brand knows that influencers film every sodding aspect of their life so if the influencer takes the free holiday even if coverage was not requested or agreed the brand still gets it because the influencer posts where they are etc. Is it fair the viewer doesn’t know? and is it fair that the brand is effectively getting free advertising with out it being clear to the viewer

same scenario with the bag. Influencer gets sent a £1500 bag free with no discussion about coverage. They start to use it and feature it in their posts. Viewers ask about it. The brand gets free advertising by stealth.

Yet the brand that pays the influencer for coverage has to have ad slapped on their post. You need to consider this through the prism of market fairness. It fair that some companies compensate influencers for ads and have to have a disclosure but if you send your product for free you don’t have to?

The rules are for the public’s protection. Yes it’s a blunt instrument but brands were being sneaky giving influencers free holidays, bags, clothes and no rules applied to disclosing those. It created the illusion that influencers were paying for things they weren’t and things given for free are more likely to be given a favourable or positive sentiment by the influencer.

Influencers have mudded the water by making up terms like Ad Gifted. The ASA has never stipulated terms other than stating that it must be clear what is an advert including not hiding it amongst hashtags or in the comments.

They want you to believe it’s the regulator that’s made everything confusing where as in reality they hate having to disclose the free items, affiliate links etc. I get you may find it confusing but I don’t. Also I would rather people be confused and find it overkill but aware that the product or service has been given for free or featured for a payment so that there’s an indication what’s happened and that it may cause the influencer to be more positive about that product or service because they haven’t purchased it themselves.
yes, but going back to the point of the £1500 bag - if it was an ad and they were paid extra money for it, it doesn’t stop them from using it in the posts, photos, etc. Also do they have to disclose it every single time they wear that bag or is there a time limit then? Whilst a mascara will eventually run out, a bag canbe used over and over again.
like I said, “gifted” was never confusing, whilst the new “ad-gifted” is for me, but if it helps others, then it is better. I must add that I have a slightly different view on ads from youtubers/Instagrammers - if it is someone I genuinely like (and not Lily which I follow for lols) I always like the post/watch the video, because it doesn’t cost me a penny but it does make a difference to the content creator. Someone like Immy from Sustainably Vegan only does adverts from really good companies, so I am happy to find out new brands.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.