Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

August

I’m ringing around instructors rn. Scared moving to a new car/instructor is gonna put me back a lot

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
Does anyone know what insurance you need when learning to drive in your own car that you are the keeper of? I've just got my own car and I'm confused. Can you get temporary learners insurance as and when you want to drive it with somewhere like veygo even though there's not a main full policy on the car. I thought I can do this but a friend says you can't do that and you need a full annual learners policy to learn in your own car
Contact the insurance company direct and ask them?

Dancing Dave

VIP Member
The instructors have insurance so you just pay for your lessons - usually cheaper if you book them in block. I would book a 1 or 2 hour lesson to see if you like the instructor first before committing! Your Mum will need you on her insurance so you can drive (with her) in between lessons.

Thank you so much!

I have my test next week , i dont feel as nervous as my first test which was in august, does anyone have any advice for test day please?

Well done for getting out there!!! 😄 does the fiat (i’m sure that’s what you said you have) not have a hill start assist? I hate trying to get going on a hill, I stalled loads doing it in lessons to begin with 😂
Thank you! I don’t know if the model I have has it, it is a Fiat 500 (2011) 1.2 Lounge. I was the same during the lessons so I am sure once I get used to the car I’ll be okay, hopefully. 😅🤣

KB2611

Does anyone know what insurance you need when learning to drive in your own car that you are the keeper of? I've just got my own car and I'm confused. Can you get temporary learners insurance as and when you want to drive it with somewhere like veygo even though there's not a main full policy on the car. I thought I can do this but a friend says you can't do that and you need a full annual learners policy to learn in your own car
You can legally insure your vehicle on a provisional licence, the insurance will be cheap due to the fact you can only drive with an insured driver with a licence of 3 years.

However, be prepared for a HUGE increase in premium and excess when you change from provisional to full.

Depending on age you will have the following:
Inexperienced drivers excess & new drivers excess usually £250 each plus below 25 you will have young drivers excesses.

It pays to read your policy documentation as it’s a daily argument for us insurance handlers especially compulsory and voluntary.

I just insured my car for £470 through Admiral fully comp I have a box for at least 6 month but if I insured on provisional it was like £200 for the year but excess is £1000 voluntary and 250 new drivers excess. I lose this next year.

If anyone needs help with car insurance feel free to @ me.

The best advice I can give anyone is be honest, if you make a claim and forget anything you will be refused indemnity and your policy may be void from inception.

Irishgirl14

VIP Member
excellent news - congratulations!!!

i know what you mean about the examiner I felt the difference with the second one too and it felt very clear and calm.

As for me I’ve been driving for a month now and I’m finally starting to feel a bit better about driving alone in my car 😂😂 been doing short ish routes and just building up, getting used to the feel of a different car. But a couple of times recently I’ve felt like I’ve enjoyed it! Miracles do happen 😅
Ye im the same found myself alot better going out on my own like you just short drives

cuttle90

Congratulations! Confused about your first minor though (not quibbling just curious!) - my instructor told me 3rd or below for roundabouts, how on Earth are you supposed to do 60mph on a roundabout?!
Thank you! He said he wasn't suggesting do 60mph but a bit faster, I was a bit perplexed about it too. Its a roundabout of a dual carriageway with two lanes around it, bit I had had to stop at the top of the slip road so 🤷‍♀️

pommynoir

VIP Member
Because loads of people told me oh when ypu get your car ill take you out but when it comes down to it they don't so sick of asking people and I thought having the car would help instead of always the instructors

Yes maybe ne t week ill ask just work on things I need to not driving around in circles

It's just really getting me because it's not clicking 😭
I’m also doing automatic, I have done 10 of my EDT (assume you’re in Ireland by your name) and bought a car a few weeks ago. I’m fortunate enough with my boyfriend that I do all the driving at the weekends, but we can’t really go out after work as he works so late. But a week after buying the car I was driving 2 hour drives across counties and I’m driving from Waterford to Donegal this weekend and I’m not nervous one bit. Once you are getting out there in your own comfort you’ll be absolutely fine. I have had the car just over a month now and haven’t had a lesson since just after I bought it as they’re too busy but I think I’m flying it whereas during the lessons I was constantly nervous and making silly mistakes, I think it’s coz I’m quite shy with new people.

Once you manage to get out you’ll progress so much quicker - I started learning to drive in March and I have to wait until August to book my test (6 month rule) but if I didn’t I’d probably be booking it soon. Best of luck 🍀💚

Last edited:

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
Right, first lesson down.

It wasn’t a disaster but it wasn't great. He said I was very heavy footed on the accelerator. Gear changes didn't massively compute between keeping an eye on the road, steering wheel position, clutch and gears I was bamboozled! But, we started out in an empty car park and then we switched, got a main road and switched again and off I went. Drove for a good while. I think I was just being overly cautious, he said younger learners have no fear :)😅 so the older (me) can be a bit too cautious, but once I was on thee straight road and kept it light I was ok. I'll get insured on my mums car as that's what I'll be practising in between my lessons. She said she'd take me to the same car park and we can go over gears etc.

So glad I did it. Automatic is still in the back of my head, but my instructor came highly recommended and he is incredible so I'm gonna hang tough with manual and practice my gears. It's still only Lesson 1 so we'll get there! Thanks all for the push, many more updates to come on my journey to finally being the designated driver in my group. I owe a lot of spins!
Sounds very similar to me, I was heavy on my brake to begin with (and after each lockdown the first 15 mins of my lesson would be a bit heavy) but I soon learnt what my instructor was telling me about it and it made me feel more in control. I think you’re right about being cautious, I started learning a couple of months before I was 25 and then passed a week after my 27th (covid lockdowns meant it was a 2 year process 😂) Sounds like a very normal first lesson and you should be proud of taking the step to do it! You’re not gonna be a master at gears first lesson so just trust the process. I can’t wait to hear your updates! 💙

Book

Chatty Member
Did your instructor telll you to apply for your practical test? If so, you are ready. Please don’t quit. You’ve come this far. You can do it. I failed 3 times. I was the most nervous driver. I still am to be honest. Deep breaths rescue remedy. Banana and as much practice as you can.
Thank you so much!💗And yes he did actually booked it for me as I doubt I ever would have. I just can not seem to get any consistency I annoy myself so much it’s like I know what to do but actually doing it sometimes is a different story. and I get so nervous still that i grip the wheel so tight it makes steering and staying in position so much harder. I just don’t know when to say actually this isn’t for everyone and I may be one of them. I guess if he says I should take the test I will and see how it goes. I just do not see me being ready. He will likely push it back or use the slot for another student I recon.

LeWylde

I was the same and might even have said it on here - after my first test I almost felt a bit calmer cos I knew what to expect.
I passed the second time and I guess it was just a bit more practice, remembering to drive calmly and safely. I don’t know what clicked the second time, I just felt a bit better and more confident.
Ah, congratulations and I am so happy for you! I'll take that as inspiration for the next go. Out of curiosity, did you have an easy time booking your next test? I am a bit stressed because of the backlog.

August

How could it put you back? You’ve hardly learnt anything!!!! Don’t worry, just get a lesson booked in with someone new. When you go to see them the first time please explain that you’ve already been taken advantage of and wasted a lot of money and that you expect to start leaning manoeuvres straight away. (For what it’s worth, I was started on manoeuvres during my first ever lesson and we would do manoeuvres every single lesson)
Like put me back with my nerves. I don’t know if I’m really bad at driving or not. I still make lots of mistakes. I sometimes forget to change back into first/second when turning for example. Or hesitate at a mini roundabout when I should have gone. Maybe the instructor is going slowly because I’m crap. Just don’t know.