Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks so much everyone, you’ve made me feel so much better ❤. And big congrats to KB2611! Drove my husband to Sainsbury’s to do a shop so getting back in the game 😂
Just wanted to say that practising 'everyday driving' is the thing that got me through my test - I'd bought a tiny car while I was learning and my partner got me to drive to the supermarket, shops etc with him as passenger a few times a week; by normalising driving, making it something I did outside my lessons, that made it click far better than just doing lessons.

So if anyone else is learning and struggling, if you can practise in another car outside of lessons you may find it really helps.

Reactions: 1
Does anyone know what insurance you need when learning to drive in your own car that you are the keeper of? I've just got my own car and I'm confused. Can you get temporary learners insurance as and when you want to drive it with somewhere like veygo even though there's not a main full policy on the car. I thought I can do this but a friend says you can't do that and you need a full annual learners policy to learn in your own car

Does anyone know what insurance you need when learning to drive in your own car that you are the keeper of? I've just got my own car and I'm confused. Can you get temporary learners insurance as and when you want to drive it with somewhere like veygo even though there's not a main full policy on the car. I thought I can do this but a friend says you can't do that and you need a full annual learners policy to learn in your own car
Contact the insurance company direct and ask them?

My daughter got an learners insurance policy on her own car with me as named driver as she was driving to college and back every day with me supervising. cost me around £32 a month. If you use compare the market and state you only have a provisional licence it will compare learner insurance for you 🙂

You can legally insure your vehicle on a provisional licence, the insurance will be cheap due to the fact you can only drive with an insured driver with a licence of 3 years.

However, be prepared for a HUGE increase in premium and excess when you change from provisional to full.

Depending on age you will have the following:
Inexperienced drivers excess & new drivers excess usually £250 each plus below 25 you will have young drivers excesses.

It pays to read your policy documentation as it’s a daily argument for us insurance handlers especially compulsory and voluntary.

I just insured my car for £470 through Admiral fully comp I have a box for at least 6 month but if I insured on provisional it was like £200 for the year but excess is £1000 voluntary and 250 new drivers excess. I lose this next year.

If anyone needs help with car insurance feel free to @ me.

The best advice I can give anyone is be honest, if you make a claim and forget anything you will be refused indemnity and your policy may be void from inception.

Reactions: 1
My test is a week tomorrow! It's come around so quickly. I had a mock test earlier this week and *just* passed it so that has boosted my confidence more especially as I know that wasn't my best driving.

I really hope I pass as the hassle of trying to find another test atm is a lot and I really don't want to keep spending nearly £300 a month on lessons until my test. Knowing me though it'll be nerves that make me do something daft like drive through a red 😂 I've got some rescue remedy in case I need it but at this point I'm not sure what more I can do to be prepared.

I've driven my fiancés car a few times but I struggle with the clutch, I know I need to get used to it as it'll be the car I drive when I do pass but driving it really knocks my confidence and I feel like I need to be as confident as possible for the big day!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My test is a week tomorrow! It's come around so quickly. I had a mock test earlier this week and *just* passed it so that has boosted my confidence more especially as I know that wasn't my best driving.

I really hope I pass as the hassle of trying to find another test atm is a lot and I really don't want to keep spending nearly £300 a month on lessons until my test. Knowing me though it'll be nerves that make me do something daft like drive through a red 😂 I've got some rescue remedy in case I need it but at this point I'm not sure what more I can do to be prepared.

I've driven my fiancés car a few times but I struggle with the clutch, I know I need to get used to it as it'll be the car I drive when I do pass but driving it really knocks my confidence and I feel like I need to be as confident as possible for the big day!
I failed my first test almost at the end and my second 3 minutes in when I tried to take a curb with me.

3rd test I didn’t tell anyone when it was booked the only person who knew was my instructor. If you can drive and your instructor is allowing you to sit it’s all on you now.

If for whatever reason you don’t pass book the next available test download Testi and grab a cancellation you will only need one lesson before the test and the test. You don’t need to block book hours.

You don’t fail because you can’t drive it’s pure nerves.

1 in 5 don’t have sat nav
1 in 5 get emergency stop.

Depending on your area the test is 30-45 mins.

I was city centre with roadworks so mine was cut to 30 mins on last test I also had no satnav and emergency stop.

As long as you are out for 30 mins you are in with a shot of passing your test.

Try and avoid partners car as if you struggle with the clutch it may confuse you on test so stick with instructors until after.

Best of luck to you, I had a Friday and was much more relaxed 3rd time around! Xx

My first lesson is Sunday and I'm up in a heap. It's all in my head, I might go out in my mums car (with her to the local swimming pool car park) and learn a few basics for half an hour just so I'm not going in too blind. However, a friend of mine said that was the worst thing to do! That I should just go in and let the instructor start from ground zero so to speak.

Reactions: 2
My first lesson is Sunday and I'm up in a heap. It's all in my head, I might go out in my mums car (with her to the local swimming pool car park) and learn a few basics for half an hour just so I'm not going in too blind. However, a friend of mine said that was the worst thing to do! That I should just go in and let the instructor start from ground zero so to speak.
I think let your instructor teach you the first bits, and also explain you’re very nervous. But also remember they are in total control - you physically cannot hurt anyone or anything, their dual controls are there to look after you both :)

• Heart
I personally would agree. Sure it’s scary to do a new thing but your examiner will have had so many students who have been nervous, you won’t be the first and you won’t be the last - I would let them be the one to teach you. I went in completely blind and it means you’re not picking any habits up from your mums car etc. Your instructors car will have dual controls, they won’t let you do anything they don’t think you’re ready for and in all honesty, from memory - you don’t do too much that’s scary in first lessons. You’ll be fine 💙

• Heart
Don’t go out in your mum’s car.
Stop worrying!!!!! It’s your first ever lesson - no one is expecting you to know anything or have done any practise before hand. Seriously. Just wait for sunday and start from scratch with the qualified professional who you are paying to teach you. Stop worrying about it!!!

• Heart
Thank you all. I think cause I've waited so long I'm just panicking "the big day" is here ha. Here's hoping once first day is down I'll just crack on with lessons.

• Heart
Thank you all. I think cause I've waited so long I'm just panicking "the big day" is here ha. Here's hoping once first day is down I'll just crack on with lessons.
Agree with others, just start fresh in your instructors car, I went in my boyfriends car the night before my first lesson when I picked up driving again and it just made me feel so much more nervous as I couldn't coordinate myself to move off properly! My first lesson was fine and the instructor will ask you about any driving experience you have, they teach all sorts of people with all levels of experience, so nothing to worry about!

Also I have a positive update! I had my test this morning and I passed - 4 minors 😁 I'm so happy!!My feedback was about my pulling up on the left hand side (they were all so bad I was convinced I was gonna fail on that lol) and then I was a bit silly with gears a couple of times. I still can't believe I've passed but just so happy to have that weight off my shoulders.

Now to navigate getting insured on my boyfriends car 🤪

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Agree with others, just start fresh in your instructors car, I went in my boyfriends car the night before my first lesson when I picked up driving again and it just made me feel so much more nervous as I couldn't coordinate myself to move off properly! My first lesson was fine and the instructor will ask you about any driving experience you have, they teach all sorts of people with all levels of experience, so nothing to worry about!

Also I have a positive update! I had my test this morning and I passed - 4 minors 😁 I'm so happy!!My feedback was about my pulling up on the left hand side (they were all so bad I was convinced I was gonna fail on that lol) and then I was a bit silly with gears a couple of times. I still can't believe I've passed but just so happy to have that weight off my shoulders.

Congratulations!! If you can get out on your own in the car ASAP, while you’ve still got the buzz of “someone thinks I’m legally competent to drive” 😂

Well done!!! That's amazing! You must be so thrilled, does it feel surreal?!

Congratulations!! If you can get out on your own in the car ASAP, while you’ve still got the buzz of “someone thinks I’m legally competent to drive” 😂
As soon as we've got the insurance done I'm just gonna nip up the road and back by myself to say I've done it 😂

Well done!!! That's amazing! You must be so thrilled, does it feel surreal?!
It's taking time to sink in! 😂I'd really convinced myself that it just wasn't gonna be my time today and I wasn't ready, I really surprised myself with how well I did. It's definitely boosted my confidence massively!

It’s such a good feeling when you pass! I still look out of the window and can’t believe I’ve got my own car parked outside nearly 4 months later 😂 changes your life. Congrats @loobyscoobydoo 🎉

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Wahooooooo!!! Huge congratulations to you, you must be so happy! 😄 defo get yourself out on the roads! I got insured on my boyfriends car and I think I only pay him 27 a month since december (even though I added it back in October time i think?) to make up the difference on his price. It was less than 250 to add me on

• Heart