Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's tomorrow morning 🫀 I think I've come through the other side a bit now though regarding anxiety. Can't remember how to drive though.
Good luck for tomorrow🀞
Try and treat it like another lesson.
And I really believe in the banana theory - they do chill you out a bit, so try eating one beforehand

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thanks, I failed. One major fault for misjudging whether some cars were parked or not and waited behind them like a twit. 6 minors for positioning etc. Nothing dangerous though so I guess that's a bonus!

• Sad
I PASSED today!!! 2nd time lucky I'm so chuffed it's amazing!

Never give up guys, you can do it! I'm 41, and thought I'd left it too late, nervous and anxious galore it really has been many years of trying on and off. Xx

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Never give up guys, you can do it! I'm 41, and thought I'd left it too late, nervous and anxious galore it really has been many years of trying on and off. Xx
Congratulations πŸ₯³ 🎊 πŸ‘πŸΏ πŸ’ πŸ₯³

• Heart

well done you! I was an older one too - 37. Happy motoring!

• Heart
Reactions: 1

Congratulations I'm 51 and have my test in march it's never to late to start

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Passed my theory with 49/50 on the questions and 61/75 on the hazard perception and got my first lesson tomorrow πŸ₯³

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I passed the driving test last week and still can't believe it. Here's a few wee things that helped me that might help others, as I had very low confidence, and hadn't been driving for 13 years (when I last failed my test!):
  • I did it in automatic. Fair play to anyone who can get their head around manual, but I'm not one of them and automatic is now a lot more available. It gave me confidence as I could spend more time concentrating on observation and positioning, rather than worrying what gear I was in.
  • I talked to myself during the test. When I did the test before, I found it really disconcerting being in the car with someone who can only give your instructions, no normal chat. Talking to myself (which the tester didn't seem to mind, just made it clear he wasn't going to respond) helped me vocalise what I was seeing and doing, and for things like reversing around the corner helped me with positioning (in in in in OUT OUT OUT!).
  • I didn't do a full pre-test before the test. Instead, we went on a couple of popular routes and worked on positioning. I was nervous that if I made a mess of the turnabout and reverse around a corner in the pre-test, that I would be on edge for the test. When I get flustered I duck everything up, so I wanted to go in as calm and at ease as possible. Just doing the routes, getting familiar for the positions and speeds, I felt calm going in.
  • Youtube - a few instructors have the test centre I was with on their channels and seeing how they did things and what to expect helped a lot. I don't have access to a car (yet!) so this was a way of getting familiar without being able to physically go.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
πŸ’ͺ Well done BashmentLady!! πŸš—πŸŽŠ

Yes to add from my day also if it helps anyone:
*For an hour before test my instructor and I just drove around, didn't do anything fancy - just drove to relax
*Had a couple of paracetamol and a banana
*My examiner was the same one that failed me the first time πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ but he was nice and we did have some good little chats on the route - Just stay focussed :) They want to pass you, they want you to be safe that's all

• Heart
Reactions: 4
bought the testi app at the start of this year and i think there's been 6 test slots come up in those 11 months i've had the app for. not sure if my area is an extreme case, but i genuinely cannot fathom how people are managing to get tests

bought the testi app at the start of this year and i think there's been 6 test slots come up in those 11 months i've had the app for. not sure if my area is an extreme case, but i genuinely cannot fathom how people are managing to get tests
It definitely depends on your area/ if there is more than one test centre close by. My instructor at the time also told me that the DVLA website tries to block apps like Testi because of scammers who try to make a profit out of desperate learners.

I had Testi and one called Speedy Tests on the go. Only 1 I think came up in 3 months, in the end I just took some extra lessons and waited the extra time rather than switching which worked out better for me anyway.

I have my test next week , i dont feel as nervous as my first test which was in august, does anyone have any advice for test day please?