Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve learnt so much since passing my test in November and having my own car. I’m a very confident driver now. I had no choice but to drive 12 miles home from the car dealership with my car a few days after I passed my test. You learn to drive for that reason… to drive!

Reactions: 4
If you have anyone that you can go out with that you trust and will be calming influence, then if that is something you’d prefer for comfort then that’s one thing. Are there any quieter roads that you can go round by your home? Or could you drive some of the routes that you did on your lessons so that you’re driving where you’re familiar with? Or get pass plates that might help with other drivers knowing you’re new.
They are the things I’d do and have done since passing. My boyfriend always said when he passed and got his car, he just had to get on with it cos he had to drive the car home from the car place! I drive his car so I guess just did the same!
I have my partner who could come with me but poster above made a good point about becoming too reliant on people. There are quiet roads near my house I could practise on. I learnt to drive in London but have since moved out of the city. I keep telling myself if I can drive in London, I can drive anywhere. 🤣

I just need to bite the bullet and get on with it.

I’ve learnt so much since passing my test in November and having my own car. I’m a very confident driver now. I had no choice but to drive 12 miles home from the car dealership with my car a few days after I passed my test. You learn to drive for that reason… to drive!
That’s great you are a confident driver. I have confidence in my abilities as I know what I am doing in terms of driving but my anxiety can sometimes hang over me like a dark cloud. 😅

Reactions: 2
Ivy!!! What car did you get in the end?
I have my partner who could come with me but poster above made a good point about becoming too reliant on people. There are quiet roads near my house I could practise on. I learnt to drive in London but have since moved out of the city. I keep telling myself if I can drive in London, I can drive anywhere. 🤣

I think having someone else with you is totally individual choice, I only did cos it was my boyfriends car and I guess cos he would know it far better than me and even things like if I got a little stuck like trying to turn in the road for example then I’d have him to bounce off my thoughts. Everyone is different, if it had been my own car I don’t think I would have had him for my first few drives.
Exactly! My boyfriends test was in Sidcup, I tell my boyfriend that if he can drive around Sidcup and Dartford areas etc and down the A2/M20 etc then he can drive anywhere! 😂
I definitely think doing some quiet local roads you know well is a good idea, as @BettyCrockerr says - focus on just going A to B and then go from there. You’ve got this 😄💙

That’s great you are a confident driver. I have confidence in my abilities as I know what I am doing in terms of driving but my anxiety can sometimes hang over me like a dark cloud. 😅
For me personally, going out with my partner for a few trips the first few times definitely didn’t make me reliant on him. I had him in the car the first few times for a week and since then he’s never been back in it and every journey I do alone.

I think for me, I just had such bad anxiety and I was terrified of driving in a new car, so I wanted him with me just to help out if I panicked, rather than as a comfort blanket. Different things work for different people though and I can see positives and negatives of having someone with you.

I’m a totally different driver now to the one that passed her test two years ago and it really is the best thing I’ve done.

Ivy!!! What car did you get in the end?

I think having someone else with you is totally individual choice, I only did cos it was my boyfriends car and I guess cos he would know it far better than me and even things like if I got a little stuck like trying to turn in the road for example then I’d have him to bounce off my thoughts. Everyone is different, if it had been my own car I don’t think I would have had him for my first few drives.
Exactly! My boyfriends test was in Sidcup, I tell my boyfriend that if he can drive around Sidcup and Dartford areas etc and down the A2/M20 etc then he can drive anywhere! 😂
I definitely think doing some quiet local roads you know well is a good idea, as @BettyCrockerr says - focus on just going A to B and then go from there. You’ve got this 😄💙
I may try going out on my own after going out a few times with my partner just to ease the anxiety and then do some routes on my own. 😅 The car I bought is different to the one I learnt in, a few things to get used to but nothing major.

I live in a small town so the roads are perfect for me. 🚗

For me personally, going out with my partner for a few trips the first few times definitely didn’t make me reliant on him. I had him in the car the first few times for a week and since then he’s never been back in it and every journey I do alone.

I think for me, I just had such bad anxiety and I was terrified of driving in a new car, so I wanted him with me just to help out if I panicked, rather than as a comfort blanket. Different things work for different people though and I can see positives and negatives of having someone with you.

I’m a totally different driver now to the one that passed her test two years ago and it really is the best thing I’ve done.
That’s great to hear, with time and practise I know that I’ll feel less anxious about it as it is still very knew to me. The idea of having someone with you does help it seems but of course different things work for different people.

I am very excited to own a car and be able to go anywhere without relying on other for lifts etc.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. 😊

Reactions: 1
I’m doing an intensive course at the moment and have my test in 2 weeks…don’t think I’ve ever felt anxiety like it and keep doubting myself! I think I’m a good driver but sometimes make the silliest and annoying mistakes. Thought I’d enjoy it a lot more than I have too… feels like a chore!

Failed my 2nd driving test on Thursday. 5 minutes into my test and I bumped the bloody kerb.
I’m trying to get a new test pretty soon, so far I have one for May.

Im pretty angry at myself for this. I hope to god I get it next time.

I think I need some kalms or something for my next test.

• Sad
New to the thread. Started learning to drive when I was 18...had 5 different driving instructor and stopped for loads of different reasons. I am now 27 and I have a lesson booked for 31st of Jan. I waited and got a female instructor as that was what my gut was telling me to do.

I've done 3 theory tests and passed first time each time (this Wednesday just gone most recent) and I am determined that I am going to pass my test this year. I want to be able to take my son out wherever he wants to go and so concentrating on that and trying to push out the doubt/fear.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I am not a learner but I am new to the roads. I passed my driving test a week before the first lockdown in March 2020. Plans of buying a car were delayed because of the pandemic, I did my Pass Plus end of September 2021 and this week I just bought my first car - a Fiat 500. Haven’t driven properly since September.

My anxiety has always held me back and learning to drive took me a long time, now I am really scared to go out and drive on my own. I keep thinking of the worst. 😭 Anyone have any useful tips?
I passed in October and have been struggling with the same. I tried with someone else in the car, and while that really helped with the anxiety for that journey, I still couldn’t make the jump to driving completely by myself, especially if I didn’t know where I was going.

I think maybe if you haven’t driven for a few months, have someone with you the first few times while you’re getting used to it again but I’ve definitely found the best way to get over the anxiety is just to do it. Once you get there, you feel AMAZING.

My advice for the solo journeys is to have a satnav with the volume up so you can hear the directions - it gives you one less thing to worry about as you don’t need to think about missing road signs or getting lost as it’ll tell you what to do if you do go the wrong way.

Also I found it really helpful to play a calming talk based podcast to stop me overthinking the driving. I went for the Adam Buxton podcast, I owe him a lot, he stopped me panicking on a 45 mile solo drive. My satnav and the podcast are both hooked up to the car so the podcast would pause while the satnav spoke to me so I could hear it.

Try to avoid driving at busy times if you can until you’re used to it.

I passed in October and have been struggling with the same. I tried with someone else in the car, and while that really helped with the anxiety for that journey, I still couldn’t make the jump to driving completely by myself, especially if I didn’t know where I was going.

I think maybe if you haven’t driven for a few months, have someone with you the first few times while you’re getting used to it again but I’ve definitely found the best way to get over the anxiety is just to do it. Once you get there, you feel AMAZING.

My advice for the solo journeys is to have a satnav with the volume up so you can hear the directions - it gives you one less thing to worry about as you don’t need to think about missing road signs or getting lost as it’ll tell you what to do if you do go the wrong way.

Also I found it really helpful to play a calming talk based podcast to stop me overthinking the driving. I went for the Adam Buxton podcast, I owe him a lot, he stopped me panicking on a 45 mile solo drive. My satnav and the podcast are both hooked up to the car so the podcast would pause while the satnav spoke to me so I could hear it.

Try to avoid driving at busy times if you can until you’re used to it.
I went out yesterday with my partner for a drive around our town. I think I would have struggled if I had been on my own and I also stalled trying to do an uphill start, I just could not do it so my partner had to. 😂 I’ll do a few more drives with him and then go out on my own.

That’s a really good tip to have a podcast playing as a way to keep calm and I’m definitely on the look out for a good satnav too.

I went out yesterday with my partner for a drive around our town. I think I would have struggled if I had been on my own and I also stalled trying to do an uphill start, I just could not do it so my partner had to. 😂 I’ll do a few more drives with him and then go out on my own.

That’s a really good tip to have a podcast playing as a way to keep calm and I’m definitely on the look out for a good satnav too.
Well done for getting out there!!! 😄 does the fiat (i’m sure that’s what you said you have) not have a hill start assist? I hate trying to get going on a hill, I stalled loads doing it in lessons to begin with 😂

Well done for getting out there!!! 😄 does the fiat (i’m sure that’s what you said you have) not have a hill start assist? I hate trying to get going on a hill, I stalled loads doing it in lessons to begin with 😂
Thank you! I don’t know if the model I have has it, it is a Fiat 500 (2011) 1.2 Lounge. I was the same during the lessons so I am sure once I get used to the car I’ll be okay, hopefully. 😅🤣

My dad always told me the real learning starts when you’re on the roads on your own and he’s right! I was so nervous for the first few months after passing my test but here I am 10 years and 4 cars later, and my driving is the one thing I am confident about. 😅

New to the thread. Started learning to drive when I was 18...had 5 different driving instructor and stopped for loads of different reasons. I am now 27 and I have a lesson booked for 31st of Jan. I waited and got a female instructor as that was what my gut was telling me to do.

I've done 3 theory tests and passed first time each time (this Wednesday just gone most recent) and I am determined that I am going to pass my test this year. I want to be able to take my son out wherever he wants to go and so concentrating on that and trying to push out the doubt/fear.
Wishing you the best of luck! My situation very similar to yours, you may find you pick it up quicker and find it easier! I done around 20 hours or so when I was 18 and gave up found it all very nerve wracking. I'm 26 and decided I'm not giving up this time no matter what. Started again in October and have done 20 hours with a new instructor and hes getting prepared for my test already. I thought my lessons before would of been useless as i didn't even remember how to drive at all. But he threw me in at the deep end we didn't start from the basics as I said I had drove before. But it's come back to me quick and I feel more confident this time, maybe as I am older. There will be times you doubt yourself, but you've got this!

• Heart
Right, I'm going to ask the stupid questions!

I've finally been given a kick up the arse to do this and I have the number of a driving instructor who taught all my neighbours kids (yes they are driving before me lol) but what on earth do I do? I can choose either his car or my mums (she'll let me use it too learn) if I use the instructors do I already need insurance or is it included in the cost of the lesson. I'm sure how it usually works, Just before I contact him and sound like a fool.

I've finally been given a kick up the arse to do this and I have the number of a driving instructor who taught all my neighbours kids (yes they are driving before me lol) but what on earth do I do? I can choose either his car or my mums (she'll let me use it too learn) if I use the instructors do I already need insurance or is it included in the cost of the lesson. I'm sure how it usually works, Just before I contact him and sound like a fool.
The instructors have insurance so you just pay for your lessons - usually cheaper if you book them in block. I would book a 1 or 2 hour lesson to see if you like the instructor first before committing! Your Mum will need you on her insurance so you can drive (with her) in between lessons.

• Heart
The instructors have insurance so you just pay for your lessons - usually cheaper if you book them in block. I would book a 1 or 2 hour lesson to see if you like the instructor first before committing! Your Mum will need you on her insurance so you can drive (with her) in between lessons.

Thank you so much!

your instructor will teach you in their own car. It will have dual controls (so they sit in the passenger seat and have a break and accelerator at their feet) - im not sure if an instructor would take you out in your own car?? Anyway, you just book a lesson with the instructor and the price you pay covers everything- you don’t need to worry about the insurance or anything else, they deal with all that.

Have you got your provisional licence? You’ll need to have that before you can go out on a lesson.

Reactions: 3
your instructor will teach you in their own car. It will have dual controls (so they sit in the passenger seat and have a break and accelerator at their feet) - im not sure if an instructor would take you out in your own car?? Anyway, you just book a lesson with the instructor and the price you pay covers everything- you don’t need to worry about the insurance or anything else, they deal with all that.

Have you got your provisional licence? You’ll need to have that before you can go out on a lesson.
Had it for ages (still another year on it) . thanks for all this info, it really helps when Google doesn't!