Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So tomorrow is judgement day for me šŸ˜¬ any last minute tips?
I feel ready, anxious, but ready. Biggest worry is making a stupid mistake šŸ˜©

Stop worrying. Just give it your best shot tomorrow and see how it goes; if you pass then thatā€™s awesome but if you donā€™t pass this time never mind, youā€™ll know more for the next one!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Weā€™re all human, but try not to lose your head. Mirror, signal, manoeuvre. Youā€™re a safe and competent driver and your examiner wants you to be that too, no one is trying to catch you out. Deep breaths.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you for your kind words. I didnā€™t pass today, nerves 100% took over and I made a silly mistake at a roundabout. Cried all the way home haha!
Iā€™m allowing myself tonight to wallow and eat my emotions then tomorrow Iā€™ll pick myself up šŸ˜©

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
Thank you for your kind words. I didnā€™t pass today, nerves 100% took over and I made a silly mistake at a roundabout. Cried all the way home haha!
Iā€™m allowing myself tonight to wallow and eat my emotions then tomorrow Iā€™ll pick myself up šŸ˜©
Hey itā€™s okay šŸ¤šŸ¤šŸ¤ Mistakes happen and thatā€™s okay xxx

• Heart
Never mind mate - you now know what the test is like, so just get another one booked in and crack on. No harm done!

• Heart
Definitely give yourself a day to wallow and then pick yourself back up. Weā€™re all human, it was just a bad day ā¤

Reactions: 1
Aww I'm so sorry. It's so normal though, the test is hard! But I bet you'll find the next one so much easier and you'll be posting on here that you've passed in no time! ā¤

Sorry to hear that.

I found I learned more from failing a driving test as I did from weeks of lessons. Treat it as a learning experience, and you know what to expect next time.

Iā€™m due to take my test in a few weeks and was just wondering about the manoeuvres. Iā€™ve been told by my instructor that you only get one chance to do it, is this correct or can I for instance parallel parking, realise Iā€™m too far in and drive out and start again? As that is what Iā€™d do in real life away from the test?

You absolutely get more than one chance and are able to correct it. My manoeuvre was a bay park (forwards into bay) and I misjudged it slightly and reversed out and straightened up. On a previous test that I failed (for other reasons) I got a parallel park, where I realised half way through the manoeuvre that I was wrong and stated to the examiner that I wasnā€™t happy, so pulled out and started again. I got 1 minor for the bay park and none for the parallel park. All I would advise is if you are starting again, or pulling out a space to start again etc, is state what youā€™re doing to the examiner and make sure to do all of your observations etc and you should be fine.

• Heart
Hi Iā€™m looking for some advice on my situation. Iā€™ve had 19 lessons now in manual car, and Iā€™m beginning to fear my instructor is taking me for a ride. Iā€™ve only done crossroads, major crossroads, mini roundabouts, some dual carriageway. Thatā€™s it.

My family were shocked when they found out Iā€™m 19 lessons in and I havenā€™t done a single manoeuvre or even a proper roundabout. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m just really bad, or the instructor is milking me for money. I am quite anxious and my reactions arenā€™t the fastest. But the more I read about driving lesson amounts (mumsnet, studentroom) the more I think why am I progressing so slowly. Thereā€™s a mumsnet thread where someone posted similar to me, and the people responding were raging on the posters behalf, saying they were being scammed.

Honestly donā€™t know what to think. Instructor is talking about me doing my test in late May (started beginning of September). 2 hours lessons weekly until May seems a crazy amount. Itā€™s like another 40 hours on top of the 20 Iā€™ve already done. What do you think? Should also add that the instructor has good reviews, and people saying they passed in 20-30 hours with them.

Hi Iā€™m looking for some advice on my situation. Iā€™ve had 19 lessons now in manual car, and Iā€™m beginning to fear my instructor is taking me for a ride. Iā€™ve only done crossroads, major crossroads, mini roundabouts, some dual carriageway. Thatā€™s it.

My family were shocked when they found out Iā€™m 19 lessons in and I havenā€™t done a single manoeuvre or even a proper roundabout. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m just really bad, or the instructor is milking me for money. I am quite anxious and my reactions arenā€™t the fastest. But the more I read about driving lesson amounts (mumsnet, studentroom) the more I think why am I progressing so slowly. Thereā€™s a mumsnet thread where someone posted similar to me, and the people responding were raging on the posters behalf, saying they were being scammed.

Honestly donā€™t know what to think. Instructor is talking about me doing my test in late May (started beginning of September). 2 hours lessons weekly until May seems a crazy amount. Itā€™s like another 40 hours on top of the 20 Iā€™ve already done. What do you think? Should also add that the instructor has good reviews, and people saying they passed in 20-30 hours with them.
Your instructor is taking the piss out of you. 19 hours of lessons and you havenā€™t done a single manoeuvre? Come on.

On your next lesson, sit in the car and ask why youā€™ve yet to be taught a single manoeuvre. Ask why, at 19 lessons in, youā€™ve never attempted a large roundabout? See what they say but do not give them another penny of your money.

Reactions: 6
Ah thanks. Youā€™ve confirmed my worries. I thought, even if I am really tit, shouldnā€™t I have at least tried some by now. Guess Iā€™ll have to change instructor. I really didnā€™t want to.

I have the worst luck. This is my 3rd instructor. The other 2 were back in 2017. The first was a pervert, and the second one used to shout at me all the time. Honestly makes me wanna quit.

Even when I change instructor itā€™s gonna take me about another 40 lessons cuz Iā€™ve learned practically duck all in the 20 Iā€™ve done already.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Ah thanks. Youā€™ve confirmed my worries. I thought, even if I am really tit, shouldnā€™t I have at least tried some by now. Guess Iā€™ll have to change instructor. I really didnā€™t want to.

I have the worst luck. This is my 3rd instructor. The other 2 were back in 2017. The first was a pervert, and the second one used to shout at me all the time. Honestly makes me wanna quit.

Even when I change instructor itā€™s gonna take me about another 40 lessons cuz Iā€™ve learned practically duck all in the 20 Iā€™ve done already.
Just find a new one and real the reviews first
Iā€™ve been in the same situation as you!
but deffo find a new instructor he is litterally just stealing your money and your time!

Iā€™m ringing around instructors rn. Scared moving to a new car/instructor is gonna put me back a lot

Iā€™m ringing around instructors rn. Scared moving to a new car/instructor is gonna put me back a lot
How could it put you back? Youā€™ve hardly learnt anything!!!! Donā€™t worry, just get a lesson booked in with someone new. When you go to see them the first time please explain that youā€™ve already been taken advantage of and wasted a lot of money and that you expect to start leaning manoeuvres straight away. (For what itā€™s worth, I was started on manoeuvres during my first ever lesson and we would do manoeuvres every single lesson)

Donā€™t be scared! I had done maybe around 19-20 hours with my first instructor and thinking I should be doing more than what I was doing but was unsure and actually at the time okay with not stressing myself out because my dad had recently passed away, I had to find a new one cos she moved back to Belfast, when I started with my new instructor - I explained and even he was like I get people passed between 20-40 hours normally and agreed that I should have been a bit further.
A good instructor wants you to learn and wants you to pass. And in all honesty, asking to do these things like manoeuveres would probably help you more. You are the student and you are paying them - get the most out of your two hours! x

How could it put you back? Youā€™ve hardly learnt anything!!!! Donā€™t worry, just get a lesson booked in with someone new. When you go to see them the first time please explain that youā€™ve already been taken advantage of and wasted a lot of money and that you expect to start leaning manoeuvres straight away. (For what itā€™s worth, I was started on manoeuvres during my first ever lesson and we would do manoeuvres every single lesson)
Like put me back with my nerves. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m really bad at driving or not. I still make lots of mistakes. I sometimes forget to change back into first/second when turning for example. Or hesitate at a mini roundabout when I should have gone. Maybe the instructor is going slowly because Iā€™m crap. Just donā€™t know.

Like put me back with my nerves. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m really bad at driving or not. I still make lots of mistakes. I sometimes forget to change back into first/second when turning for example. Or hesitate at a mini roundabout when I should have gone. Maybe the instructor is going slowly because Iā€™m crap. Just donā€™t know.
I would speak with your current instructor and ask why he hasnā€™t had you doing manoeuvres etc first, if he has genuine concerns about your driving then maybe that is the reason? I agree itā€™s a long time to not have done these things, but I would definitely speak with him first, maybe try and make up a plan of what you will be working on in your next few lessons? I dread to think how many hours I done until myself and my instructor felt I was test ready (I was very anxious and made these silly mistakes that you have mentioned too), but to be honest I was happy taking it slower, so that I could iron these mistakes out. They may seem small to you and I, but until you remember to do these things you arenā€™t a competent or confident driver. I hope you get it sorted out though and good luck in whatever you decide to do šŸ˜Š