Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The people that passed years ago had it easier because they didn’t have to drive independently so I don’t feel like they understand.

There were five years between my first test and the one I passed and the test had changed in that time . Your instructor shouldn't just be teaching you to 'drive' , but also be teaching you how to perform the test as it is currently.

If it's independent driving that threw you in the test then that is what you need to practise on . Look at the maps , visit the area so you are familiar with it and get your instructor to help you focus on that.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
New to this thread but thought I'd come on here as yesterday I failed my test first time... 2 majors 9 minors. First major was during my manoeuvre (pull up to the right and reverse back two car lengths) where I didn't notice an Ocado van coming my way and didn't stop enough for it or at all- I honestly don't really remember 😬. Second one was at a junction where I stopped at a traffic light after turning through a tunnel but the traffic light was for the straight road behind instead of me and it led to the car behind almost hitting me... on top of that the examiner had to tell me to go by which point I knew I had a lower chance of passing. Annoying as both my instructor and my dad (who I was also practicing with) thought I was good enough to pass. I know these are both my own fault really but still frustrating nonetheless.

Think most of my minors were more nerves related, except for one where I set off in second gear 😂. Got a couple for 'undue hesitation' which I don't fully understand the concept of (nor did I think I was being too hesitant but maybe I was just too nervous to notice). I did take some rescue remedy beforehand but I think the placebo effect of that has worn off for me after how much I took during exam season😄

Was devastated when I found out I'd failed and I actually misheard the examiner when he said I hadn't passed which didn't help 😂. My instructor thinks I can easily learn from these and should be able to take another test in the next few weeks or so if I can get one- now that's the tricky part!

• Heart
Definitely sound like more nerves related issues @mang0 and hopefully just need a bit more time and practice. It’s so frustrating I know but I’m sure you’ll get it next time!

Ironically after all the time I took to get through my test and dealing with all my anxieties, now I’m allowed to drive I don’t want to 🤣 I actually feel so nervous in the car,feel like I don’t know where I’m going, worry about parking, everything!! It’s like starting all over again. Also had a drive with my dad yesterday to practice going upthe dual carriageway somewhere and it was all just awful. Busy, stressful and I cried when I got back.

Was never sure paying for a pass plus course would be worth it but maybe I should?! Anyone have any experience?

• Heart
I’ve totally lost interest in driving now. There’s better things to be spending my money on.

There were five years between my first test and the one I passed and the test had changed in that time . Your instructor shouldn't just be teaching you to 'drive' , but also be teaching you how to perform the test as it is currently.

If it's independent driving that threw you in the test then that is what you need to practise on . Look at the maps , visit the area so you are familiar with it and get your instructor to help you focus on that.
It was because the examiner left my test area. Everyone I’ve told was shocked the route he took me on.. some of them have been driving for 10-30 years and say they would never drive on those roads unless they had no other choice 😂

Definitely sound like more nerves related issues @mang0 and hopefully just need a bit more time and practice. It’s so frustrating I know but I’m sure you’ll get it next time!

Ironically after all the time I took to get through my test and dealing with all my anxieties, now I’m allowed to drive I don’t want to 🤣 I actually feel so nervous in the car,feel like I don’t know where I’m going, worry about parking, everything!! It’s like starting all over again. Also had a drive with my dad yesterday to practice going upthe dual carriageway somewhere and it was all just awful. Busy, stressful and I cried when I got back.

Was never sure paying for a pass plus course would be worth it but maybe I should?! Anyone have any experience?

It’s funny because up until recently I’ve been the same - I passed in the middle of May and for the first 6-7 weeks I almost threw up with the stress of getting in the car 🤢 now tho I’m living my best life I thing it just takes time - I drove to the other side of the city yesterday using motorways etc and didn’t even flinch whereas even a month ago I wouldn’t have bothered through fear x

Reactions: 4

I know how you feel because I am exactly the same! Passed a while ago and if anything I try to avoid driving especially if it involves lots of traffic and roundabouts etc! I just make up excuses or end up taking the train/bus despite having my own car. It’s like a fear of anything and everything happening just comes over me.. worried about stalling and not being able to move off gives me the heebies!
I know it’s just a matter of getting into the car and biting the bullet as they say and just getting the fear out of the way. At the end of the day we passed for a reason😊

• Sad
Reactions: 2
What sort of things do you talk about on your lessons?

My instructor and I just talk about mundane stuff like what’s going on in the news or where we’re going food shopping. I want him to focus more on just the driving when I pick my lessons back up in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: 1
What sort of things do you talk about on your lessons?

My instructor and I just talk about mundane stuff like what’s going on in the news or where we’re going food shopping. I want him to focus more on just the driving when I pick my lessons back up in a couple of weeks.
As the lessons went on and I needed less instruction, it would be more general chat as he didn't have anything to say about the driving

Update... I had another test today and I passed! Picked up 6 minors but still less than last time!

@gossipgal21 you were right about the nerves- I was much calmer in this test, though it did help that I had a friendly examiner who explained things very clearly to me. My last examiner was friendly but this one took a slightly different method to explaining the test and aspects of it which was exactly what I needed.

Can finally relax (for now)!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Update... I had another test today and I passed! Picked up 6 minors but still less than last time!

@gossipgal21 you were right about the nerves- I was much calmer in this test, though it did help that I had a friendly examiner who explained things very clearly to me. My last examiner was friendly but this one took a slightly different method to explaining the test and aspects of it which was exactly what I needed.

Congratulations! You should be so proud of yourself 😄💙
I'm hoping to be able do my test in the next month or so how many pre tests would ypu get?
Pre-tests? I never had mock tests, I just drove round the test routes to get experience

• Heart

excellent news - congratulations!!!

i know what you mean about the examiner I felt the difference with the second one too and it felt very clear and calm.

As for me I’ve been driving for a month now and I’m finally starting to feel a bit better about driving alone in my car 😂😂 been doing short ish routes and just building up, getting used to the feel of a different car. But a couple of times recently I’ve felt like I’ve enjoyed it! Miracles do happen 😅

i know what you mean about the examiner I felt the difference with the second one too and it felt very clear and calm.

As for me I’ve been driving for a month now and I’m finally starting to feel a bit better about driving alone in my car 😂😂 been doing short ish routes and just building up, getting used to the feel of a different car. But a couple of times recently I’ve felt like I’ve enjoyed it! Miracles do happen 😅
Ye im the same found myself alot better going out on my own like you just short drives

Can I ask, how do you get motivated to go on drives? I’ve had my car for about a month but have only been out when I have to. I know I should go out more to gain more confidence but I can’t get motivation

Can I ask, how do you get motivated to go on drives? I’ve had my car for about a month but have only been out when I have to. I know I should go out more to gain more confidence but I can’t get motivation
Honestly, I think you just have to force yourself. I found it much easier at the start when I’d first passed being like “I’m a safe and competent driver and I’ve just been legally told that” and popping out to the supermarket and back, than I did a few months later! Just have to keep working the muscles.

Honestly, I think you just have to force yourself. I found it much easier at the start when I’d first passed being like “I’m a safe and competent driver and I’ve just been legally told that” and popping out to the supermarket and back, than I did a few months later! Just have to keep working the muscles.
Thank you 😊 I’m ok with driving and everything but my drive is on an incline and at the moment my neighbour has parked fairly close behind so I think I’m just putting off going out until they move 🙈 Need to just over it and get out really

• Heart
Honestly just because I have to! I have a baby so I need the car to take him places, plus if I want to go to a supermarket or just anywhere really, the car is super handy.
It took me a good couple of weeks of going out every day on short drives, getting confident with a couple of routes. I also tried to go out when it was quiet.

but honestly one month one I feel so much better, I even felt impatient going behind someone else in P plates today who was going too slowly 🤣 (I wasn’t an ass though!)

So unfortunately the only answer is to do it!

My original test was July - my instructor made the call that I wasn't ready so swapped my test with another one of his students to Thursday and I passed first time.
My lesson before was horrendous I entirely forgot how to reverse into a parking space, so we went out the following night AGAIN with my instructor and we got it back to being better but I knew I would have to straighten up if I got that manoeuvre on my test. My lesson (40 minutes) before my test was ok but I had to do a REAL emergency stop as a lady pulled out straight in front of me.
I know that I perform ok under pressure, its more the nerves in the lead up that make me crazy. I did some relaxation with a NLP practitioner the night before, listened to 5 minute learning to drive podcasts (crammed these in in the 24 - 48 hours before) about driving tests and then watched some of the DGN driving school pass test videos on YouTube and happy to say I passed my test, first time, with 3 minors.

My manouevre was pulling into a car parking space, I got 5 pull up and drive away at the side of the road + a hill start on a releatively flat road but he asked me to demonstrate 0 roll back which I did.
1st minor - 40mph on a 60mph roundabout (in my defence this was from a stopped start) - he said not saying do 60mph but speed could of been up
2nd minor - one blind spot check missed
3rd minor - crossing dual carriageway to turn right - there was car, gap, car, gap he said I could of went but that I made the right call as If i had went and stalled I would of failed for a major (i didn't stall in the end but that was my fear!)

Reactions: 5
I haven’t been able to find another test after my fail last month and my theory runs out in October. Not entirely sure I can be bothered to keep going.

• Sad