Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Long time lurker, first time posting on this thread. I failed my driving test this morning for a silly reason and feel so disappointed.
But like someone said, it was great practice though and I feel like I know what to expect next time.
Just curious if anyone has any advice for the second time around? ☺
well done for taking the test - it doesn’t feel it now but itis one step further to passing! It took me 4 times.. what I will say is book asap (RIGHT NOW!!!) and look for cancellations on the apps that are available and don’t give up… I was so close to giving up and so glad I persevered now

Reactions: 4
well done for taking the test - it doesn’t feel it now but itis one step further to passing! It took me 4 times.. what I will say is book asap (RIGHT NOW!!!) and look for cancellations on the apps that are available and don’t give up… I was so close to giving up and so glad I persevered now
Thank you for your tips! I feel a bit more at ease despite failing because I know what to expect for the next one.

I definitely will not give up but my local test centre’s back log is atrocious. Going to try book a new test once a fresh batch of dates is released.

Reactions: 1
Thank you for your tips! I feel a bit more at ease despite failing because I know what to expect for the next one.

I definitely will not give up but my local test centre’s back log is atrocious. Going to try book a new test once a fresh batch of dates is released.
I was the same and might even have said it on here - after my first test I almost felt a bit calmer cos I knew what to expect.
I passed the second time and I guess it was just a bit more practice, remembering to drive calmly and safely. I don’t know what clicked the second time, I just felt a bit better and more confident.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I was the same and might even have said it on here - after my first test I almost felt a bit calmer cos I knew what to expect.
I passed the second time and I guess it was just a bit more practice, remembering to drive calmly and safely. I don’t know what clicked the second time, I just felt a bit better and more confident.
Ah, congratulations and I am so happy for you! I'll take that as inspiration for the next go. Out of curiosity, did you have an easy time booking your next test? I am a bit stressed because of the backlog.

Ah, congratulations and I am so happy for you! I'll take that as inspiration for the next go. Out of curiosity, did you have an easy time booking your next test? I am a bit stressed because of the backlog.
i actually paid for one of the apps I think it was speedy tests? That basically looks for cancellations and you have to text back to book. I found one pretty fast with that but obviously you might not want to pay!

the backlog really does add to the stress so I feel for you :-(

Please don’t let the backlog put you off… tbh that is the big hurdle the huuuuuge backlog!! Book in a random town then get onto all the cancellation apps.. it is the only way and it makes a BIG difference

Reactions: 6
i actually paid for one of the apps I think it was speedy tests? That basically looks for cancellations and you have to text back to book. I found one pretty fast with that but obviously you might not want to pay!

the backlog really does add to the stress so I feel for you :-(
That’s really good to know, thanks. I’m going to talk to my driving instructor about what he thinks is best for now.

Please don’t let the backlog put you off… tbh that is the big hurdle the huuuuuge backlog!! Book in a random town then get onto all the cancellation apps.. it is the only way and it makes a BIG difference
It’s terrible, isn’t it? It feels like it only keeps growing, sadly.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I’m going to persevere and keep your great suggestions in mind 💕

Wait do you still have to reverse round a corner on test? Mine is very soon and haven’t learnt that 😂

Oh glad I found this thread.

Ok so I am in my early 30s and can't drive. I did start learning at 17 just like most kids, failed my test a couple of times and totally lost confidence in myself and gave up.

Its never really hindered me much, public transport where I live is good and so its never been much of a problem.

Now I'm 31 with two kids and I have to walk EVERYWHERE. They allways needs taking to clubs and school and nursery etc and I cant rely on hubby to do it, and so I means I'm allways out walking to and from things. Its never really bothered me much until now, I want an easier way honestly.

So I'm thinking of biting the bullet and starting learning to drive again. It would be starting from scratch. The expense worries me money is tight would I even be able to afford to run a car? But most of all just my nervousness on the road worries me.

Can anyone ease me nervousness? Anyone else just not have any confidence in it?

• Heart

Ok so I am in my early 30s and can't drive. I did start learning at 17 just like most kids, failed my test a couple of times and totally lost confidence in myself and gave up.

Its never really hindered me much, public transport where I live is good and so its never been much of a problem.

Now I'm 31 with two kids and I have to walk EVERYWHERE. They allways needs taking to clubs and school and nursery etc and I cant rely on hubby to do it, and so I means I'm allways out walking to and from things. Its never really bothered me much until now, I want an easier way honestly.

So I'm thinking of biting the bullet and starting learning to drive again. It would be starting from scratch. The expense worries me money is tight would I even be able to afford to run a car? But most of all just my nervousness on the road worries me.

I think being a slightly older driver (I was late twenties, I’m not calling you old!) really does take some of the confidence out of it and adds some additional challenges with the nervousness on the road. All I can say is it really will just click at some point. It’s not easy, but that’s what an instructor is for - you’re not in any danger in a car with dual controls. It’s not fun learning, but a year after passing I’m able to do really bloody long drives on my own and be confident in my own abilities on the road, which is a huge relief.
Try and trust yourself, but if not, trust your instructor. Most of them are wonderful.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I'm 32 and passed my test this year

Nerves and confidence were a huge part of learning to drive for me but I think the key is not to overthink or rush, remember that you control the car and not vice versa.
Having a brief understanding about how cars work may help you? You could also watch some YouTube videos
Get a good instructor, mine would work with me on my weaknesses rather than simply telling me that I was doing things wrong.
Honestly you just need to go for it, you'll be so glad you did!

• Heart
Reactions: 6

I finally passed this year at the age of 36! After years of on and off learning and stopping. The two key things for me were starting to learn in an automatic (took a lot of stress off for me personally) and finding an instructor finally I really clicked with.
I didn’t enjoy learning to drive at all but with the most recent instructor I didn’t hate my lessons and he put me at ease a lot!

I’m probably not a brilliant driver now but I passed my test and am now able to get around and take my son to things so totally understand your need to do it.

I honestly thought I never ever would pass so please stick with it. Look for recommendations for a great instructor!

• Heart
I finally passed this year at the age of 36! After years of on and off learning and stopping. The two key things for me were starting to learn in an automatic (took a lot of stress off for me personally) and finding an instructor finally I really clicked with.
I didn’t enjoy learning to drive at all but with the most recent instructor I didn’t hate my lessons and he put me at ease a lot!

I’m probably not a brilliant driver now but I passed my test and am now able to get around and take my son to things so totally understand your need to do it.

I honestly thought I never ever would pass so please stick with it. Look for recommendations for a great instructor!
Interesting I've never thought about automatic but quite a few have said it might be better to go that route...did you find it a bit calmer? I know gear changes and things made me feel quite flustered

Interesting I've never thought about automatic but quite a few have said it might be better to go that route...did you find it a bit calmer? I know gear changes and things made me feel quite flustered
100% calmer! Felt I could actually concentrate on the road as I just had to push the pedals for starting and stopping. It takes an extra step away for me when i have already got a busy and anxious mind especially when I was driving!

It may be worth a try for you if you haven’t!

I know a few people who also started learning in their 30s that went automatic and never looked back. I drive manual but it took me a very long time to finally pass my test and be comfortable on the road. With an automatic car you don’t have the added pressure of the gears to think about so it might be worth considering! Hope that helps 😊

Reactions: 3
100% calmer! Felt I could actually concentrate on the road as I just had to push the pedals for starting and stopping. It takes an extra step away for me when i have already got a busy and anxious mind especially when I was driving!

It may be worth a try for you if you haven’t!
Can I ask did you find it hard to get used to the gears/ clutch control? My partner is american/ only learnt to drive an automatic so everytime we go to visit my family, I end up driving. This christmas, he wants to practice with the gears if there's time so that in future, we can share the driving.

Do you have any advice/ suggestions for learning from one to the other? When I've driven before, we've talked through what I'm doing/ he can hear the engine telling me to change gears but that was all pre-pandemic.

I have met a few americans who didn't know how to drive a gear car/ rented one when visiting england/ and promptly crashed to I don't want that to happen to us!

Really dumb question but do automatics adjust for hills/hill starts?
The automatics I've driven, in the US, yes! They give you a little boost straight away. It makes it so much less stressful-particularly as going slightly backwards on a hill was why I failed my first test so I get mildly anxious about it every time.

hi lovely people, have any of you done an intensive course? lessons where i live are £45 p/h (literally more expensive than london, ridiculous) and the intensive courses work out at much cheaper than this per hour - would rather just get it over and done with in a week

hi lovely people, have any of you done an intensive course? lessons where i live are £45 p/h (literally more expensive than london, ridiculous) and the intensive courses work out at much cheaper than this per hour - would rather just get it over and done with in a week
I wanted to do one originally but changed my mind, I know what you mean about the price I’ve spent £1500+ on lessons and two tests so far, it is ridiculously expensive to learn how to drive now! Do you know how it works with the test as there such a big backlog at the moment?

Also £45 p/h is crazy I’m in London and I pay £35p/h!!!