LBC Radio #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maajid is a strange choice for the 10pm slot. He is far too aggressive.

James was a strange listen today. The first 15-20 minutes or so he was totally manic. He'd obviously had too many expressos. Thankfully he did calm down a bit as the show progressed.
Perhaps they did not go with the Beetroot Brownies his wife Lucy makes.

Ian Payne's talking to a re-enactment society member, I think this is something Ian wants to get involved in - dressing up as a pirate or such 😁
"Shark spotted in the water at Boscombe beach nr Bournemouth!
In scenes reminiscent of Jaws, with Roy Scheider running down the beach screaming 'Get outta the water!!"
WAGatha Christie. The War of The Wags. Rooney v Vardy with The Hon Judge Payne presiding
The inventor of RonCo products died last week, the chap who gave the world such consumer delights, like The Buttoneer, The Pocket Fisherman :unsure: Hair-in-a-Can spray & The Eggshell Compactor.

"I've triple knotted my Dr Martens shoelaces this morning"

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Steve is on the schedule for next week, so fingers crossed he will be back. He's been releasing podcasts every day. I doubt he would be doing that if he wasn't returning soon.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Steve is on the schedule for next week, so fingers crossed he will be back. He's been releasing podcasts every day. I doubt he would be doing that if he wasn't returning soon.
With all these inconsistencies, who the hell does know what is going on? Even Global don't seem to know. I wouldn't rely on the LBC schedule as it was always wrong and never regularly updated long before Steve became unwell. I feel for Ian Payne as he is slowly morphing into Steve Allen :LOL: As for the podcasts, you can take it two ways - either Steve will be back next week, OR these are being recorded to appease his listeners until he is well enough to return.

The witch is not back until we actually hear him live in the studio again. So let's hope it is next week

Reactions: 3
It might not be a popular opinion here but I'm not missing Steve Allen one little bit. I truly hope he's getting back to health but I've only been back listening to that slot on LBC a bit since Ian's been in - and I really like him. Steve got far too repetitive, bitter and negative for me, I know that's his shtick but I was well over it.

I think he'd do better to stick to podcasts, they are a credible format and something he might manage more easily. He has a dedicated fanbase which is a strong position to start from if entering a crowded market.

Reactions: 9
It might not be a popular opinion here but I'm not missing Steve Allen one little bit. I truly hope he's getting back to health but I've only been back listening to that slot on LBC a bit since Ian's been in - and I really like him. Steve got far too repetitive, bitter and negative for me, I know that's his shtick but I was well over it.

I think he'd do better to stick to podcasts, they are a credible format and something he might manage more easily. He has a dedicated fanbase which is a strong position to start from if entering a crowded market.
I agree. I've been enjoying Ian's rather eclectic style in that slot. I've just listened to Steve's latest podcast. He ended up saying that hopefully he'll be able to do some more podcasts next week but didn't mention whether he'd be back on air. Perhaps he's not yet up to doing the full three hours.

Ian has really settled into that slot and has learned to work with Steve's audience. Nothing too political and lots of random stories from the papers that would largely be ignored like the RonCo blokes death and the Wagatha Christie stuff or bitching about Daley Thompson.

Ian sounds like he does the slot more like a night shift. He talks about watching TV in the evenings so I'm assuming he must go to bed at 7 when he finishes. It must be a very difficult shift to manage. I doubt if he'd want to do the shift permanently. At least Steve has that on his favour.

Reactions: 2

I don't think Ian enjoys those early mornings though. I don't mind Steve doing podcasts, but they are too short.

Reactions: 2
Listening to Shelagh today talking about woman deciding not to have children and the way society treats them. Made very interesting listening and shows how ingrained it is in our psyche.

She also brought up how people believe she's not entitled to an opinion about jabs for children because she hasn't got any.

Listening to Shelagh today talking about woman deciding not to have children and the way society treats them. Made very interesting listening and shows how ingrained it is in our psyche.

She also brought up how people believe she's not entitled to an opinion about jabs for children because she hasn't got any.
I can understand not having children raising a few eyebrows by many people in the near past, but nowadays it's normal, no? I am a guy, but I am undecided on kids. I do often wonder why people are pressured to have children. Is it because of lineage and to keep the family name going? I feel this must be one of the main reasons. I don't agree with having kids if you cannot afford it financially. Too many children are brought up in homes where families are dysfunctional and/or aren't financially capable of raising a family.

Reactions: 11
I can understand not having children raising a few eyebrows by many people in the near past, but nowadays it's normal, no? I am a guy, but I am undecided on kids. I do often wonder why people are pressured to have children. Is it because of lineage and to keep the family name going? I feel this must be one of the main reasons. I don't agree with having kids if you cannot afford it financially. Too many children are brought up in homes where families are dysfunctional and/or aren't financially capable of raising a family.
There was a big bust up in one of my friendship groups years ago because one of the guys asked one of the girls when her and her hubby were going to have kids. She brushed him off but the guy persisted asking the same question and getting more personal. She ended up retaliating by saying 'it's none of your business' and the guy got seriously offended and refused to speak to that couple again!! Very bizarre that he thought he was entitled to ask those questions and was the one who was offended.( We are no longer friends with this guy)

I think Shelagh gets a lot of flack because she is unmarried and does not have children. It's no ones business but hers. It's also bizarre to say you can't have an opinion on something because you haven't lived it. We're on internet forums spouting our opinions left right and centre. I have very strong opinions about Love Island and Prince Harry but I have never been on a reality TV show or been a Price of the Realm :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 9
or been a Price of the Realm :ROFLMAO:
How much is the Price of the Realm, Fenella? ;)

Here is something for the older listener ! Who remembers LBC in October 1973? I would like to know if the first callers said "First-time caller" and /or "Thanks for taking my call" !!

I was told that an early caller finishing by asking if he could say hello to a few of his friends and family who he knew were listening. The presenter replied with something like "Yes of course, you've got a phone, you can give them all a ring. Next caller....." :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
What a tedious conversation on LBC at the moment. Debating whether you are English. We going there again. duck me, what is the problem with being English and accepting yourself, If you are born and raised in ENGLAND, as ENGLISH! some idiots calling in talking about English being a race. Scotland is a country and England isn't apparently. Have people lost their damn minds here, in England?! I'm seriously questioning many people.

I personally find nationalism a stupid bleeping concept anyway. You being defined by what piece of land you are born on. Where your ancestors from? Where were their ancestors from, etc. Go back far enough and our ancient ancestors moved around and didn't have a settled status and, if they did, they wouldn't have given that piece of land a name, assigned a flag to it, and sang an anthem for it. I'm bored of hearing about nationalism at this point. We are ultimately humans - nothing more, nothing less. Strip away nationalism, what have we got? A better world in my opinion.

What a tedious conversation on LBC at the moment. Debating whether you are English. We going there again. duck me, what is the problem with being English and accepting yourself, If you are born and raised in ENGLAND, as ENGLISH! some idiots calling in talking about English being a race. Scotland is a country and England isn't apparently. Have people lost their damn minds here, in England?! I'm seriously questioning many people.

I personally find nationalism a stupid bleeping concept anyway. You being defined by what piece of land you are born on. Where your ancestors from? Where were their ancestors from, etc. Go back far enough and our ancient ancestors moved around and didn't have a settled status and, if they did, they wouldn't have given that piece of land a name, assigned a flag to it, and sang an anthem for it. I'm bored of hearing about nationalism at this point. We are ultimately humans - nothing more, nothing less. Strip away nationalism, what have we got? A better world in my opinion.
There's always confusion around the words that can be applied to love of, and pride in, one's country. My interpretation would be to say that patriotism is loving the country you call home, but without forcing your views on others. Nationalism is wishing for your country to have power over others. And xenophobia is hating all the other countries. It's upsetting when patriots are called racists. I'm not sure what you call people who hate the country where they were born and now live but there's no shortage of them!

Tried to listen to NA earlier but his stupid noises and voices made me turn off. He also sounds like a robot.

• Haha
Tried to listen to NA earlier but his stupid noises and voices made me turn off. He also sounds like a robot.
We are in the minority as for years I have also never understood his appeal, let alone how/why he is still on-air. However, he does have his fans and his ratings must be very good.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.