LBC Radio #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just grabbed this from the previous thread before it's closed ...

Steve said he started smoking again. One a week I think. Did I mishear that or am I right?

You misheard. Steve didn't say he'd started smoking again. He was recalling how he had smoked 60 a day then gave up for 2 years then bought a packet thinking he could just have one a week but it didn't work out like that (it never does). He then went on to talk about his 8 stents.

I didn't think he'd started again. Even he isn't that daft.

( OT but I've always been slightly impressed with someone who can just have the odd cigarette. I have a friend who can have 2 or 3 on a night out then stop again completely. I was never that disciplined. Haven't had a cigarette in 27 years now )

Reactions: 2
Yes he often mentions how he started smoking at the age of 13 after seeing his parents light one up occasionally from an ornamental wooden box of cigarettes they used to keep for guests in the drawing room, and how he didn't know to inhale at first. When he went on to develop the habit more in later life, he loves to admit even now, how much he enjoyed it and has no shame in saying so. His dad smoked a pipe and he tried that too in his early twenties but never got on with it. Steve Allen with a pipe. Seems quite an amusing thought.

• Haha
Just grabbed this from the previous thread before it's closed ...

You misheard. Steve didn't say he'd started smoking again. He was recalling how he had smoked 60 a day then gave up for 2 years then bought a packet thinking he could just have one a week but it didn't work out like that (it never does). He then went on to talk about his 8 stents.

I didn't think he'd started again. Even he isn't that daft.

( OT but I've always been slightly impressed with someone who can just have the odd cigarette. I have a friend who can have 2 or 3 on a night out then stop again completely. I was never that disciplined. Haven't had a cigarette in 27 years now )
Oh that's fair enough then. I was in a bit of a sleepy daze when I heard it. I thought he was talking about this weekend haha. I can't remember if he has, but has he mentioned how long ago he gave up smoking?

I'm a full lbc covert since the lockdown, talksport having Paul Ross on every early morning was the final straw

I like Darren Adams show the best, he's a good presenter even if he is a bit up himself on some issues I don't mind him at all

Who's that Richard Spurr bloke they have on of a weekend? I find some of his views just plain bizarre

Reactions: 3
I genuinely do not understand how anyone can listen to James O'Brien.
That depressing monologue every morning, when I listened I felt like slitting my wrists after it.

I was delighted to find Talk Radio, and move over to Mike Graham at 10am.
I absolutely do not agree with everything he says, but he does make me laugh!
And I don't feel so depressed at the end.

I genuinely think LBC is so over. The presenters and the one hour format has had it's day.
I left when they were banging on about Brexit and Trump, hour after hour with every presenter. So boring!
I can imagine it is now about Israel, am I right?

Anyone still listening to him, come over to the fun side at Talk Radio at 10am on weekdays!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Stewed Rhubarb,
60's kitchen sink dramas,
"Henry VIII wouldn't have allowed dogs off the lead, in his park, back in the day"
Spring & Port Wine
Gym bunnies
Rhubarb Trifle...mmmm
😀

• Haha
Another excellent effort from Nick Ferrari this morning. Still getting the big interviews with the Environment Secretary on his show.

Then we get James who is plainly itching to blame Brexit from any rise in Covid numbers. Presumably on the grounds that his Project Fear proclamations have worked so well. Oh wait!

Still I suppose if he keeps throwing the mud something might eventually stick.

Reactions: 4
Another excellent effort from Nick Ferrari this morning. Still getting the big interviews with the Environment Secretary on his show.

Then we get James who is plainly itching to blame Brexit from any rise in Covid numbers. Presumably on the grounds that his Project Fear proclamations have worked so well. Oh wait!

Still I suppose if he keeps throwing the mud something might eventually stick.
I listened to his rant this morning (20 minutes!) and he really is starting to sound manic. Perhaps a few more sessions with his therapist wouldn't go amiss. He must be hell to live with.

I listened to his rant this morning (20 minutes!) and he really is starting to sound manic. Perhaps a few more sessions with his therapist wouldn't go amiss. He must be hell to live with.
Last week he had the audacity to say that after therapy he no longer felt the urge to fight with everyone who he disagreed with. No, he doesn't fight he's just supercilious and demeaning.

I really have a love/hate relationship with him.

I genuinely think LBC is so over. The presenters and the one hour format has had it's day.
I left when they were banging on about Brexit and Trump, hour after hour with every presenter. So boring!

Anyone still listening to him, come over to the fun side at Talk Radio at 10am on weekdays!
I thought that long before the lock down but they still seemed to keep increasing the ratings each time the Rajars came out.

I genuinely do not understand how anyone can listen to James O'Brien.
That depressing monologue every morning, when I listened I felt like slitting my wrists after it.

I was delighted to find Talk Radio, and move over to Mike Graham at 10am.
I absolutely do not agree with everything he says, but he does make me laugh!
And I don't feel so depressed at the end.

I like Times Radio at 10am too. Thank god for catch up so I can listen back to other shows.

Does anybody wish there was a radio station that covered culture, travel and food. I would prefer a station that got away from political talk 24/7. I would enjoy shows that focus on science news from around the world, history, culture, food, etc. Has this ever been done before? I wonder how it would go down. Surely people would listen in to a station like that where they cover non-political issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I like Times Radio at 10am too. Thank god for catch up so I can listen back to other shows.

Does anybody wish there was a radio station that covered culture, travel and food. I would prefer a station that got away from political talk 24/7. I would enjoy shows that focus on science news from around the world, history, culture, food, etc. Has this ever been done before? I wonder how it would go down. Surely people would listen in to a station like that where they cover non-political issues.
The BBC WorldService can be good, I listen to it a fair bit, you get some great topics & reports from around the world, that & Times Radio are maybe as good as it gets, variety-wise, on d.a.b.radio.

I think I listen to too much radio and need to sleep more.😎
Same here, my family members think I'm weird preferring radio to the television/streaming.
Goes all the way back to having a little transistor, trying to tune into Radio Luxembourg at night, as a kid :D
There is a fantastic App called Radio Garden, and it's free too.
You just tap anywhere on the Earth map & you can tune into that particular place's radio stations.
Recommended

Last edited:
I too had a transistor as a kid and did the same, but not Radio Luxembourg as it wasn’t available in the country I grew up in. The BBC sounds App is extremely useful, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1

You're describing LBC of old before it became a 24 hour national news based station. Well, maybe not quite but it did have travel shows and cooking (even Gino D'Acampo had a short lived show). I still think there's room in the schedule especially at the weekend for some of that kind of stuff.

( Off Topic but just a note to anyone who knew me from DS I have deleted my account and no longer posting there. This is my new home now 🥰 )

Seems like Shelagh has got into a bit of bother by suggesting that unvaccinated people should have their coffee poisoned. I absolutely advocate taking the vaccine but this sort of language is unacceptable and IMO, crosses a line as far as radio presenters should go with their views.

The main issue with her though is that she's refused to address any of the people tweeting about it nor has she apologised. Sometimes we say things and blow them out of proportion but the lack of an apology is quite telling here.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.