Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Flowergirl14

VIP Member
I genuinely do not understand how anyone can listen to James O'Brien.
That depressing monologue every morning, when I listened I felt like slitting my wrists after it.

I was delighted to find Talk Radio, and move over to Mike Graham at 10am.
I absolutely do not agree with everything he says, but he does make me laugh!
And I don't feel so depressed at the end.

I genuinely think LBC is so over. The presenters and the one hour format has had it's day.
I left when they were banging on about Brexit and Trump, hour after hour with every presenter. So boring!
I can imagine it is now about Israel, am I right?

Anyone still listening to him, come over to the fun side at Talk Radio at 10am on weekdays!

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
Listening to Shelagh today talking about woman deciding not to have children and the way society treats them. Made very interesting listening and shows how ingrained it is in our psyche.

She also brought up how people believe she's not entitled to an opinion about jabs for children because she hasn't got any.
I can understand not having children raising a few eyebrows by many people in the near past, but nowadays it's normal, no? I am a guy, but I am undecided on kids. I do often wonder why people are pressured to have children. Is it because of lineage and to keep the family name going? I feel this must be one of the main reasons. I don't agree with having kids if you cannot afford it financially. Too many children are brought up in homes where families are dysfunctional and/or aren't financially capable of raising a family.

Reactions: 11

July9696

Chatty Member
I listened to James O’Brien for the first time the other day. “A stupid person’s idea of a clever person” is what I got from him.

Uses “big” words when a shorter one would do, makes a big huff of being vexed at the state of the world in a self aggrandising manner and shoehorns Brexit into everything!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10

Yel

Chatty Member
Keep calling people stupid that voted differently to the way you wanted them to and I'm sure they'll eventually get it :rolleyes:

It's the lack of self awareness that his attitudes like his have led us to where we are 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 9

Flowergirl14

VIP Member
I cannot stand James O'Brien, as he is so depressing and such a downer.

Back in 2019, when I had my last foreign holiday!
The taxi driver was blaring out JOB, for the full 30 minutes to the airport; despite my asking him to turn it down.
Safe to say, the taxi driver did not get a tip from me.
I used the tip for a quick G&T in the airport to recover, and get me back into the holiday mood!

• Haha

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
Oh god I just switch on LBC after being away from radio today and Camilla McTominay is speaking to that Femi guy about how racist Winston Churchill was and If his statue should be removed. Are we really going to keep going over and over this. It is absolutely pathetic. This ongoing culture war is doing my head in. It's stoking more fires than it is improving. Why do LBC keep doing this? Why keep entertaining these conversations over and over and over again it is beyond repetitive at this point. I've had to turn off as I can't endure listening to something that's been spoken to death about.

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
It might not be a popular opinion here but I'm not missing Steve Allen one little bit. I truly hope he's getting back to health but I've only been back listening to that slot on LBC a bit since Ian's been in - and I really like him. Steve got far too repetitive, bitter and negative for me, I know that's his shtick but I was well over it.

I think he'd do better to stick to podcasts, they are a credible format and something he might manage more easily. He has a dedicated fanbase which is a strong position to start from if entering a crowded market.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I can understand not having children raising a few eyebrows by many people in the near past, but nowadays it's normal, no? I am a guy, but I am undecided on kids. I do often wonder why people are pressured to have children. Is it because of lineage and to keep the family name going? I feel this must be one of the main reasons. I don't agree with having kids if you cannot afford it financially. Too many children are brought up in homes where families are dysfunctional and/or aren't financially capable of raising a family.
There was a big bust up in one of my friendship groups years ago because one of the guys asked one of the girls when her and her hubby were going to have kids. She brushed him off but the guy persisted asking the same question and getting more personal. She ended up retaliating by saying 'it's none of your business' and the guy got seriously offended and refused to speak to that couple again!! Very bizarre that he thought he was entitled to ask those questions and was the one who was offended.( We are no longer friends with this guy)

I think Shelagh gets a lot of flack because she is unmarried and does not have children. It's no ones business but hers. It's also bizarre to say you can't have an opinion on something because you haven't lived it. We're on internet forums spouting our opinions left right and centre. I have very strong opinions about Love Island and Prince Harry but I have never been on a reality TV show or been a Price of the Realm :ROFLMAO:

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
James O'Brien this morning. Who do you trust? Cummings or Johnson?

Neither would be my response. But James like Nick Abbot seem to think Cummings is now telling he truth after literally years of calling him everything under the sun because he's turned on Boris.

I've always hated Cummings but it's making me laugh that all the people who have distrusted everything that he has said or done suddenly think he has a a valid opinion because it suits their agenda. Makes me sick.

Cummings was the one who hired the eugenics guy.

I also heard O'Brien trying to sandwich in Brexit with the Belarusian incident. Tom Tugendhat wasn't having any of it. 'This has nothing to do with Brexit'.

Last edited:

Redvers36

VIP Member
James O'Brien opening "people are incredibly easily manipulated"

The idea that others may think differently without being thickos or racists never seems to occur to him.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Yes, you are right, he's very much a 'populist' radio presenter, jumping on whatever bandwagon suits for that time, just like all the populist political leaders he claims to despise.
Impossible to take him seriously.
I've always said that Ferrari and O'Brien are actually two peas in a pod, just from political opposites.
They're there to entertain, generate calls and get snappy clips for social media.

The biggest difference being I think Ferrari takes his headphones off and forgets about it all. I bet O'Brien goes home and bores his family and Twitter.

• Haha
Reactions: 8

sixdinnersid83

Chatty Member
I can’t stand Majid when I am listening late at night, same old droning on and forcing the callers to agree with him. It’s too much when I want to go to sleep. I want everything back to normal.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Andrew Castle in for J O'B today.

@mrjamesob
https://twitter.com/mrjamesob
Nothing major but I need to be at home today. So my holiday has unexpectedly started a day early. Back on air August 31st. (If the withdrawal symptoms get too much there’s a column in today’s
@DailyMirror

I know Andrew Castle and Ian Payne come in for some flack for not being informed enough about some of the topics they discuss but they do talk at a level most people understand and I think that's why they are quite popular with the general audience.

James going on all the time about Tufton Street Cabal's is just to show off his intellect and knowledge and that is why he is right because the little people (not leprechaun's) just don't know enough, bless them :rolleyes: The vast majority out there will have absolutely no idea what he's talking about when he mention Tufton Street.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Wonder if it'll be a stand-alone new radio station or will simulcast or repeat what's on the tv channel?
The owners must be throwing some serious money at the project.
It's going to become a very competitive market.

There's LBC, LBC News , TalkRadio, TalkSport, Times Radio, Radio 4 and now GB News.

I've been listening to a lot more music stations these days. I can't listen to LBC all day everyday. It's too depressing and I can't spent my day angry and shouting at the radio. News fatigue. Sometimes it's best to switch off.

Pat the Dog

VIP Member
I can’t stand Majid when I am listening late at night, same old droning on and forcing the callers to agree with him. It’s too much when I want to go to sleep. I want everything back to normal.
Maajid is bad enough during the day, let alone at night. I also find Darren Adam too aggressive. There are very few presenters conducive to late night/early morning listening. Clive Bull is good and so is Jim Davis. JD used to be very bland when he was on LBC, but years later he really has improved. It's something about the voice and lack of confrontation that works well. Leave the shouty presenters to daytime programmes.

Last edited: