LBC Radio #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I always assumed Carol was sacked or quit due to her spending more time on holidays in Thailand, than actually presenting her radio programme. If it was about having to do a political programme, that could make sense. When Petrie and Duncan left LBC for BBC Radio London, they both said the same about not having any control of their topics unless heavy news and politics.

That said, I believe Duncan left BBC RL to go into politics, or did I hear incorrectly?
Yes, Duncan is working for an MP in Devon but don’t forget he was down to those strange two hour Sat and Sun am programmes. They already got rid of him on the 10 pm weekday slot.

Does Carol have a job now?

Reactions: 1
Yes, Duncan is working for an MP in Devon but don’t forget he was down to those strange two hour Sat and Sun am programmes. They already got rid of him on the 10 pm weekday slot.

Does Carol have a job now?
She still does Loose Women but has said she's not doing that for a few months and she has a column in Best magazine, other than that I'm not she does. (Apart from the podcast with Nick which I assume they are payed for.)

I'm not sure what her husband Mark does either because he always seems to be with her wherever she goes but he does work.

@Pat the Dog maybe it was mutually agree with her her and LBC? her precise words when discussing doing politics on a Sunday morning was 'who on earth wants to do that?'

Long time lurker 1st time poster.

I'm so over LBC,it's so repetative and the presentors are so up their own back sides.

I have a particular dislike for Sheila and her holier than thou attitude. She told a pregnant woman the other day that she should take the vax because it's known to be safe and has been tested (untrue) because loads of pregnant woman in the USA have had it.

There is no possible way they know if there any long term effects on the babies. It's irresponsible for Sheila to say that on radio. But of course st Shelia knows best.

Reactions: 5

I'm so over LBC,it's so repetative and the presentors are so up their own back sides.

I have a particular dislike for Sheila and her holier than thou attitude. She told a pregnant woman the other day that she should take the vax because it's known to be safe and has been tested (untrue) because loads of pregnant woman in the USA have had it.

There is no possible way they know if there any long term effects on the babies. It's irresponsible for Sheila to say that on radio. But of course st Shelia knows best.
I had this conversation with someone the other day. I have absolutely no problem with vaccines and couldn't get the Covid one quick enough but if I was pregnant I would be very hesitant to have it tbh. Mainly because it is so new. A pregnant woman may think if I wait a few more months what's the difference?

Reactions: 5
Do radio presenters get paid more for complicated topics, such as politics? I was curious as Nick Ferrari is supposedly the highest paid on LBC and he covers more difficult topics, whereas the likes of Steve Allen, and on TalkRadio, Bob Mills, do not cover those things. I know Bob Mills only does one day a week, but is there any chance for presenters to refuse to cover politics? It does seem that many presenters, whether on LBC, TalkRadio, Times Radio, and the BBC speech radio stations, talk about politics for the most part.

So do all presenters from Sunday Breakfast onwards. Do they have a choice? IMO, they don't. This is what is expected on LBC now. When Carol was broadcasting, this was not the case until things changed.
Obviously there is a station policy as to its purpose. They wouldn't have quiz shows in the middle of the afternooon, for example.

When LBC first started broadcasting in 1973, they were set up as a 'News and Information' station. They really are still that; the news is really just political these days, regardless of whether it is football or Covid etc.

Do radio presenters get paid more for complicated topics, such as politics? I was curious as Nick Ferrari is supposedly the highest paid on LBC and he covers more difficult topics, whereas the likes of Steve Allen, and on TalkRadio, Bob Mills, do not cover those things. I know Bob Mills only does one day a week, but is there any chance for presenters to refuse to cover politics? It does seem that many presenters, whether on LBC, TalkRadio, Times Radio, and the BBC speech radio stations, talk about politics for the most part.
I presume each presenter negotiates a contract between themselves and the station. If the presenter asks for too much and threatens to walk, it would depend probably on their audience ratings whether Management would meet their terms.

Reactions: 2
I wonder if a presenter being a bigger name might help them get a higher pay.

Since someone mentioned Bob Mills at TalkRadio, he got cut to one day a week and Trisha Goddard has the Saturday show, I wonder if they wanted someone more politically minded (albeit totally wrong for that station) hence why he's Sunday only now. Iain Lee did late nights there for 4 years and got cut since his show went against the political nature of the format (though seemed a bit of a loose cannon to be fair).

Last edited:
As @The Big One said, it most probably depends on their contract. Whether it is easier to host a fast-moving programme such as Nick Ferrari's where topics and guests would already be lined up and have to be on-air within a certain time, to Steve Allen just reading gossip from the papers but having to fill 3 hours without callers, I don't know.

I would have thought most definitely.

I'm pretty sure Eddie Mair didn't come cheap and he was a big wage at the BBC.

Big names will get big pay and those that can get a big audience like Steve Allen will also be payed quite well.

You can look up how much someone like David Lammy earns at LBC because he has to declare it.

Since someone mentioned Bob Mills at TalkRadio, he got cut to one day a week and Trisha Goddard has the Saturday show, I wonder if they wanted someone more politically minded (albeit totally wrong for that station) hence why he's Sunday only now. Iain Lee did late nights there for 4 years and got cut since his show went against the political nature of the format (though seemed a bit of a loose cannon to be fair).
Yeah that's a good point, but I dislike the way speech radio is going, even at weekends. Just political or serious topics almost all the time. Whether it's the virus, the police force, racism, political parties, etc. I try to look for non-serious, interesting topics, but it's not easy. I have to listen to podcasts if I want some humourous or other interesting topics.

Yeah that's a good point, but I dislike the way speech radio is going, even at weekends. Just political or serious topics almost all the time. Whether it's the virus, the police force, racism, political parties, etc. I try to look for non-serious, interesting topics, but it's not easy. I have to listen to podcasts if I want some humourous or other interesting topics.
Apart from Steve, Ian Payne and Richard Spurr - all very early morning programmes, you will no longer find very few light-hearted topics on LBC. Sometimes Clive Bull or Nick Abott overnight. Unfortunately it seems you want something other than speech radio. Dare I suggest Radio 4?

The more chilled out shows are on their way out at most speech stations. I quite liked Cristo for a chilled out show when he did the overnights at TalkRadio - a bit of politics but lots of opportunities for callers and general chat but it's now James Whale who is more of a shock jock and seems more inclined to have political arguments with callers. If Steve Allen leaves LBC, I reckon the same would happen there, they'd put in someone more politically minded.

I just can't listen to Whale so have to look elsewhere for late nights - what's Swarbrick like on LBC? He's always seemed a bit serious when I've seen him on the station.

Last edited:
The more chilled out shows are on their way out at most speech stations. I quite liked Cristo for a chilled out show when he did the overnights at TalkRadio - a bit of politics but lots of opportunities for callers and general chat but it's now James Whale who is more of a shock jock and seems more inclined to have political arguments with callers. If Steve Allen leaves LBC, I reckon the same would happen there, they'd put in someone more politically minded.

I just can't listen to Whale so have to look elsewhere for late nights - what's Swarbrick like on LBC? He's always seemed a bit serious when I've seen him on the station.

He is political but he's not 'angry' political if you know what I mean and he quite often has guests on.

I don't listen to him very often but I really enjoyed him the other night.

Swarbrick's a good orator, and talks well, but a bit bland tbh, not much of a character really.
Sticks to the main political stories of the day too.
Personally I'm a big fan of Desert Island Discs on Radio4 when I get bored with LBC & politics, there's 1000's of old episodes to listen to aswell.

Apart from Steve, Ian Payne and Richard Spurr - all very early morning programmes, you will no longer find very few light-hearted topics on LBC. Sometimes Clive Bull or Nick Abott overnight. Unfortunately it seems you want something other than speech radio. Dare I suggest Radio 4?
Agreed. It is a real shame. Ian Payne is wasted when he does afternoons or evenings. He would be good at lighter topics. The thing is, there seem to be many people who like the dour and miserable topics, so...🤷‍♂️

I’ve normally just found Sheila tolerable but I’m recent weeks she’s being awful. Completely condensing to any argument that doesn’t parallel with hers. I wouldn’t be sad to see her go, but at least she does have people that disagree with her on.

Everytime that the government does something stupid, which let’s face it is a lot, I just know we’re going to have insufferable JOB tomorrow.

Reactions: 4
Personally I'm a big fan of Desert Island Discs on Radio4 when I get bored with LBC & politics, there's 1000's of old episodes to listen to aswell.
I know this is the LBC thread, but I agree, there are many other stations that don't discuss politics 24/7.

DID - very interesting guests and their music choices often surprise me immensely.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.