LBC Chit Chat #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I caught an hour of James today for the first time in a while and I thought it was a very interesting topic. He was discussing Suella Braverman being racist. Some very interesting callers with some great perspectives. Culture, history, Hindu v Muslim. It's obviously far more nuanced than 'gammons who voted for Brexit.'

I actually like Baroness Warsi. She was part of a Conservative party I understood and recognised.

Reactions: 3
I caught an hour of James today for the first time in a while and I thought it was a very interesting topic. He was discussing Suella Braverman being racist. Some very interesting callers with some great perspectives. Culture, history, Hindu v Muslim. It's obviously far more nuanced than 'gammons who voted for Brexit.'

I actually like Baroness Warsi. She was part of a Conservative party I understood and recognised.
Isn't everyone racist to one degree or another, it seems like it could be some sort of an evolutionary imperative ?... I'd like to hear the views of an anthropologist. But then again, I'm a racist gammon so I would say that. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 3
Isn't everyone racist to one degree or another, it seems like it could be some sort of an evolutionary imperative ?... I'd like to hear the views of an anthropologist. But then again, I'm a racist gammon so I would say that. :ROFLMAO:

You only have to see the discourse between Black Americans and Black Africans over the slave trade to see what a minefield it is.

As an aside, James was talking about the pub with the gollys today. My understanding was in the past few years that they were only referred to as gollys to be a bit more sensitive but I have noticed that since the story about the pub broke most media outlets, including James today, have been using the term golliwog. I did see the BBC referred to them as golly dolls and The Independent used golly***.

Reactions: 1
As an aside, James was talking about the pub with the gollys today. My understanding was in the past few years that they were only referred to as gollys to be a bit more sensitive but I have noticed that since the story about the pub broke most media outlets, including James today, have been using the term golliwog. I did see the BBC referred to them as golly dolls and The Independent used golly***.
Nick F called them golly dolls.

Reactions: 2
I notice that the Steve Allen thread, over the other side, has had no posts since 1 April. Has everybody forgotten him ?!

• Heart
I listened to some of Ben Kentish last night. He too was talking about Suella. He got some very unpleasant callers.

I've noticed this recently with LBC. They are either putting click bait type callers on the air to be controversial or it's society. I'd prefer to think it LBC.

I've noticed this recently with LBC. They are either putting click bait type callers on the air to be controversial or it's society. I'd prefer to think it LBC.
It's the 'footballification' of society (it's in my book). :rolleyes:

I missed Steve this morning, I woke up and wanted to be eased into the day only to have grim calls about gambling addiction. The doom and gloom is bleeping relentless.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I missed Steve this morning, I woke up and wanted to be eased into the day only to have grim calls about gambling addiction. The doom and gloom is bleeping relentless.
Honestly, I'd give my right arm to hear about a Greggs bacon roll with extra bacon or what Sandy's was selling over Easter .... :cry:

James today was discussing needing ID for voting. I'm a bit nonplussed about it and as a couple of callers mentioned, I have been surprised how easy it is to vote. However James and Nick A go on about how it is voter suppression for young people. They don't have ID.

Young people notoriously don't vote. Can't be bothered. It's not hard if you want to vote. Do a postal vote if it means that much to you. Get voter ID.
Round people never have a problem producing ID when they want to get into a nightclub ;)

The ease of which to vote is baffling. My sister in law and her family moved lock stock and barrel to the USA just over 20 years. They had no property here, no business, paid no tax and yet they were still allowed to vote in our elections and referendums up until a couple of years ago. I used to do it on their behalf. I went to the polling station local to their old address. Gave their details and old address and was given a voting card. No ID, no proof, nothing. I used to think it was very wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: 4

Ian Payne is awful in that 4-7am slot

Not even his deliberate rustle of the newspaper? I think he stole that move from Nick F . Nick made me chuckle in earlier in the week when he took umbridge at someone criticizing the newspaper industry, honestly the bloke is delusional. When was the last time you saw someone under the age of 40 reading a newspaper? 🧐

I'm settling into playing Steve's podcasts from the nearest date to 3 years ago. Country was at the start of the first lockdown, nobody really knew what was going to happen but Steve ploughed on serenely, turning up at the studio every day and musing on the minutiae of life, occasionally telling people not go out whilst 10 minutes later talking about his daily trips to Marks and Spencer and Waitrose

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm settling into playing Steve's podcasts from the nearest date to 3 years ago. Country was at the start of the first lockdown, nobody really knew what was going to happen but Steve ploughed on serenely, turning up at the studio every day and musing on the minutiae of life, occasionally telling people not go out whilst 10 minutes later talking about his daily trips to Marks and Spencer and Waitrose
I was listening to a Nick Abbot podcast the other day and he was talking about there being a mini heatwave. I thought 'that will be nice' then realised the show was from 2019 :ROFLMAO: ... It's still the same bloody news though, 4 years later.

• Haha
Reactions: 5

I've listened to nothing on LBC since Steve left other than hours and hours and hours of Steve Allen The Whole Shows. The more I listen the more I become aware how he artfully weaved such a broad spectrum of life into his chatter. He's old enough and sociable enough to have a wealth of experiences from his childhood, early jobs, friends, holidays, magic, politics, celebs and zlebs......... and talked about them all with insight and a mix of acidity and humour.

His pride in LBC was outstanding, he felt so involved, loyal and paternal, if LBC sacked him they're fools. If it was because of that prat Sam Smith it's unforgiveable.

I keep hoping Jonathan Shallit is working out a deal to get Steve onto an early morning slot on another radio station and I'll be happy to wake up at 4am to bask in his words! If you're reading this Steve, get busy and get back on the air.
---

[/QUOTE]
I tried once, some abysmal woman caller screeching ignorant bile, I switched off.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I heard Shelagh this afternoon saying she was not going to say golly w-o-g-s . Who is not going to 'say' the word for themselves?
---
I keep hoping Jonathan Shallit is working out a deal to get Steve onto an early morning slot on another radio station and I'll be happy to wake up at 4am to bask in his words! If you're reading this Steve, get busy and get back on the air.
Is Jonathan Shallit, Steve's agent ?

Last edited:
I've listened to nothing on LBC since Steve left other than hours and hours and hours of Steve Allen The Whole Shows. The more I listen the more I become aware how he artfully weaved such a broad spectrum of life into his chatter. He's old enough and sociable enough to have a wealth of experiences from his childhood, early jobs, friends, holidays, magic, politics, celebs and zlebs......... and talked about them all with insight and a mix of acidity and humour.

His pride in LBC was outstanding, he felt so involved, loyal and paternal, if LBC sacked him they're fools. If it was because of that prat Sam Smith it's unforgiveable.

---
I tried once, some abysmal woman caller screeching ignorant bile, I switched off.
[/QUOTE]

Superb post. Cap doffed.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.