Laura Whitmore #4 Get yer one off the telly!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's a sell-out so she is.

Here's what I would have done. Finished college. Applied for work with RTÉ, TV3 or a radio station and done maybe one to three years with them, and THEN considered moving to London.
No offence Eoin but it doesn’t really matter what you, I or anyone else would’ve done - she did what she did and to repeat what I said the other day, of all the things she’s said and done, moving to London to further her career is probably the least offensive.

I’m wondering if you’re playing a wee game with us…🤔

She just doesn't have the likeability factor other yer Irish people have. There's no craic with her or the Irish charm. She's just humourless and up her own arse

Now I'm finished sounding like another Irish export to Britain, Louis Walsh 🤪
You’ve got potential!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I can’t think of any shows on RTÉ she’d be presenting if she was based in Ireland. She might’ve ended up on Expose on TV3 back in the day and maybe the Six O’Clock show today but neither of those would’ve got her the exposure for her book deal. The only presenters I can really think of similar in age to her are Sinead Kennedy and Blathnaid Treacy and they don’t get to do much beyond Winning Streak/Lotto/The Today Show or radio. Ireland just doesn’t have anything for the late 20s/30s presenters

Reactions: 6
RTE would never be able to pay her as well as ITV and BBC, and she would never get the level of social media exposure to get the big sponsorship deals she currently has. It would make no business sense for her to come home, it would only make sense in the context of her wanting to raise her family in Ireland, but she doesn’t seem too bothered about that. Making hay while the sun is shining etc. To be fair you can’t knock her for that, since she’s quickly ageing out of the sexy LI TV presenter market and needs a bit of radio experience and writing to fall back on.

Reactions: 7
I think she sees coming back here even as a one off a step back. I don’t get that with other people. They always seem delighted to be home and mixing with people who understand cultural references that the English don’t. You look at Angela Scanlon, Dara O’Brien, Ronan Keating and Graham Norton, Vogue Williams etc they have made their careers in the UK but they are still proud of where they come from. Laura seems to have fully embraced the tan and only trots out the Irish when she can make a few quid from it.

I can’t think of any shows on RTÉ she’d be presenting if she was based in Ireland. She might’ve ended up on Expose on TV3 back in the day and maybe the Six O’Clock show today but neither of those would’ve got her the exposure for her book deal. The only presenters I can really think of similar in age to her are Sinead Kennedy and Blathnaid Treacy and they don’t get to do much beyond Winning Streak/Lotto/The Today Show or radio. Ireland just doesn’t have anything for the late 20s/30s presenters
Especially women. The only exception is current affairs. Our female political presenters are fantastic but when it comes to entertainment we don’t have that same interest in it so the opportunities just aren’t there.
You only have to look at the ratings between here and the uk. Here our top rated shows are usually current affairs, in Britain it’s soaps and Saturday night tele. So it’s unfair to blame presenters like Laura who move away.

Some interesting points here about careers in media in Ireland & uk. I think it’s annoying how the same few faces dominate RTE, there’s no room for young presenters. 2fm is supposed to be a youth radio station, it’s hosted by coffin dodgers. I’m no Laura fan, but I can see why she went abroad for work.

Reactions: 4
Some interesting points here about careers in media in Ireland & uk. I think it’s annoying how the same few faces dominate RTE, there’s no room for young presenters. 2fm is supposed to be a youth radio station, it’s hosted by coffin dodgers. I’m no Laura fan, but I can see why she went abroad for work.
A lot of the 2FM presenters are in their 20s and 30s. Doireann Garrihy for example is 29.

A lot of the 2FM presenters are in their 20s and 30s. Doireann Garrihy for example is 29.
Doireann Garrihy is Ian Dempseys god daughter. Im sure more doors were opened for her than would be for others including laura whitmore

Reactions: 11
Doireann Garrihy is Ian Dempseys god daughter. Im sure more doors were opened for her than would be for others including laura whitmore
I didn’t know that about Doireann! Good old nepotism. She’s a bit of a pain to listen to, she thinks she’s much funnier than she actually is.

Of all the tit that we can throw at Laura moving to the UK is not one of them 😭🤣 bleeping hell 🤣 imagine hanging around to try to get a job in rte? 🥴 how grim..

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Well it's pretty obvious that she isn't charismatic by any stretch and presenting prime time shows on her own is something she fails miserably at.

Reactions: 2
Well it's pretty obvious that she isn't charismatic by any stretch and presenting prime time shows on her own is something she fails miserably at.
so to clarify: You agree with everyone else that she is tit at presenting. You don’t think she’d have been able to get any presenting work in Ireland as others would be better at the available jobs. You’re majorly pissed off she moved to get work as you’d never do such a thing as try to earn a wage.

Personally I’m glad she isn’t on RTE if only for the reason my tv license doesn’t pay her wages.

If anyone was given a choice to either work in rte or go to the uk and work for one of the uk networks I’m sure they would choose the UK option 🤣 Jesus Christ who even watches rte

Laura’s not great on telly & she’s pure cringe on Instagram, but I actually think she’s good at podcasting. I listened to hers a couple of times and it’s alright. Could be going off topic again, but that seems to be how this thread goes 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 6
Laura’s not great on telly & she’s pure cringe on Instagram, but I actually think she’s good at podcasting. I listened to hers a couple of times and it’s alright. Could be going off topic again, but that seems to be how this thread goes 🤷‍♀️
Yeah it also helps that the concept of her podcast is actually genius

Reactions: 1
so to clarify: You agree with everyone else that she is tit at presenting. You don’t think she’d have been able to get any presenting work in Ireland as others would be better at the available jobs. You’re majorly pissed off she moved to get work as you’d never do such a thing as try to earn a wage.
Exactly. I think she is an absolute charisma vacuum and how she's done so well is beyond me. What about you?

If anyone was given a choice to either work in rte or go to the uk and work for one of the uk networks I’m sure they would choose the UK option 🤣 Jesus Christ who even watches rte
I do

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.