Kate Garraway

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I watched the first part , Derek clearly doesn't have capacity to decide to be on the show. It's horrible and invasive of his dignity. He needs to go to a brain injury rehabilitation unit she shouldn't need to wash his bedding 7 times a day , he needs the correct fitting pads and Kylie sheets.

Reactions: 22
I’ve just started watching the new documentary and have had to turn it off before even the halfway point because it’s such uncomfortable viewing. Derek clearly does not have the capacity to fully consent to all of this.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
There are many people in Kate and Derek's position and I honestly think she is doing this for them too, by speaking out she is highlighting the struggles of so many carers and their loved ones and the constant battle and multitude of hoops they have to jump through daily.
Kate is well aware that she is in a unique position. She will, I feel become a crusader for carers, especially if Derek's health improves.
See i think the opposite. She is in such a privileged position with her income but I have never once heard her acknowledge that other families are in a similar situation to her without her level of wealth. I am so sick of seeing her on everything giving the poor me routine when there are millions of people in the country a lot worse off.

I also feel so much for her kids who now have to go to school knowing that everyone has seen their poor dad in such an awful state. Why don’t any of these celebs think about these kids while parading their lives online!!

If you actually read the article(not assuming you haven’t) away down near the bottom it’s basically stated that it’s not just covid this happens with, basically any infection can cause changes to brain cells.

Which might possibly back up what I was saying in an earlier post that I don’t think Covid is entirely to blame for how he is. He looked dreadful in Australia and I wouldn’t be surprised if he picked something up there or already had early stages of Dementia working on him. It’s the constant “Covid, Covid, Covid” chat that gets annoying after a while.
Completely agree and I’ve thought all along there’s more to his illness than just COVID but I guess it’s made her a lot of money so she will go with it

Reactions: 18
I have not followed the full story on this, but my gut instinct is - does he want this?

I am not sure where Derek Draper is up to now on his recovery, but I know for sure that he was totally incapacitated early on, and could not give his consent.

Like many folk, my biggest fear is not death, but being so unwell that I am totally dependent on others. If this happens to me I want my life to be totally private. I don’t want my loved ones witnessing my need for others to bathe and feed me etc - never mind the general public.

My other moan is that Kate Garraway is not a typical carer. She is loaded - that makes a massive difference,
Also she is not socially isolated as most carers are.

Reactions: 18
I have not followed the full story on this, but my gut instinct is - does he want this?

I am not sure where Derek Draper is up to now on his recovery, but I know for sure that he was totally incapacitated early on, and could not give his consent.

Like many folk, my biggest fear is not death, but being so unwell that I am totally dependent on others. If this happens to me I want my life to be totally private. I don’t want my loved ones witnessing my need for others to bathe and feed me etc - never mind the general public.

My other moan is that Kate Garraway is not a typical carer. She is loaded - that makes a massive difference,
Also she is not socially isolated as most carers are.
I haven’t watched the latest programme but I was wondering if she disclosed how much the care was costing. You are right, she’s not a typical carer. I too couldn’t bear being totally dependent on others.

Reactions: 8
She has a new program starting on bbc2 tonight about looking at illnesses in your body.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I said this before but Derek was extremely overweight before Covid. I rememiner she said he was a ‘bit’ overweight but that’s not true. He was extremely overweight. She tried to act like it was her fault as she said she was a feeder. 🤔he looked like a slob.

Reactions: 5
I said this before but Derek was extremely overweight before Covid. I rememiner she said he was a ‘bit’ overweight but that’s not true. He was extremely overweight. She tried to act like it was her fault as she said she was a feeder. 🤔he looked like a slob.
Is obvious overweight people on the whole had worse symptoms just as they would with any virus or disease. If his previous health issues are mostly dismissed then how can what's the point in telling half a story? God she's annoying.

Theres a clip on YouTube of Derek 'consenting' to being fillmed but its very clearly not informed consent as descibed in the mental capacity act.
Even if she has got POA now that means acting in the petsons best interests and csn be removed by the court of thr protection.
This is my area of work and it makes me very uncomfortable seeing him being broadcast to the nation like this. He was a private man in recent years- this is total exposure

Reactions: 11
Theres a clip on YouTube of Derek 'consenting' to being fillmed but its very clearly not informed consent as descibed in the mental capacity act.
Even if she has got POA now that means acting in the petsons best interests and csn be removed by the court of thr protection.
This is my area of work and it makes me very uncomfortable seeing him being broadcast to the nation like this. He was a private man in recent years- this is total exposure
Do you know what though, just because you’ve got POA doesn’t mean that you can choose what’s right for YOU. You make decisions on their behalf.

Reactions: 1
Do you know what though, just because you’ve got POA doesn’t mean that you can choose what’s right for YOU. You make decisions on their behalf.
Exactly- this is where some people come unstuck. Its not about your wishes, its about considering what the person would have wanted (if indeed they had expressed thoughts) and what is the best interest decision now.

Reactions: 4
Apparently he lost 8 stone since he got Covid.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
She keeps saying she wants to raise awareness of carers, thank the NHS etc - I wonder if she has donated any money to carers charities or similar? I am absolutely sure we would have heard about it if so, I have had a google and can’t see anything.
Pretty poor if not to be honest. Even a percentage of her book sales would have been a decent token given she has made a mint out of all this and is always trying to get sympathy for her and others “in her situation” - put your money where your mouth is then, Kate.

Reactions: 9
Instead of doing all his care herself he needs a care act assessment and might even also qualify for continuing health care funding.
Her situation as a carer is vastly different to millions up and down the country caring for loved ones. She still works, she has the funds to adapt her home for him, she has the means to raise funds (books, shows about him).

Instead of doing all his care herself he needs a care act assessment and might even also qualify for continuing health care funding.
Her situation as a carer is vastly different to millions up and down the country caring for loved ones. She still works, she has the funds to adapt her home for him, she has the means to raise funds (books, shows about him).
Exactly. She’s kept her day job and also managed to get extra - well paid - work on top. That’s not going to be relatable for a lot of carers in this country, many of whom have to give up work to care for their loved one.

Reactions: 12
Who is her agent? Jonathan Shalit? Probably is. Well worth his money. Watching Kate on morning TV is like pulling teeth. I watch for about 2 mins just to keep an eye in (oh and to check out Laura Tobin, sorry ... I AM that shallow). Utterly dreadful. She's decent at the puff pieces about boybands etc (which to me is a bit creepy considering she's in her mid 50s) but watching her and Ben 'tipping point' Sherpard attempt to disscect geopolitics is beyond grim and it does a disservice to all the poor souls who lack an education and tune-in everyday for their news.

Reactions: 8
how much do 24 hr carers cost in London? Do they have a bed or bedroom for them?

I get the impression they don't have a lot of money ... remember when their car was stolen, and she was offered a loan car by Peugeot (who'd read that she'd been borrowing friends' cars at that stage [a good few months after it had been stolen])? It seemed quite odd to me (and a lot of commenters on various articles) that she didn't just take the insurance money and buy another one (not necessarily new). Apparently the stolen car was in Derek's name so she couldn't go down the insurance route, but you'd think on her salary she could still buy (or at least finance or lease) another one.

Her house is also in a real state ... she just strikes me as a person who's all over the place, doesn't know where anything is or how to find it, and extremely disorganised.

I just located a few articles where she's spoken of things being in a mess due to it all being in Derek's name - meaning she can't get access to it - but that in itself seems a bit odd. There just seem to be a few things that don't add up. She's probably doing all these shows because she desperately needs the money.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.