Kate Garraway

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel for her, her husband and the kids especially.
but bloody hell not a day goes by when she doesn’t put a price tag on his dignity and self respect.

this isn’t raising awareness, this is rubbernecking a man who’s been left a shell of his former self with 24/7 care to perform his most basic tasks.

she needs to stop putting all of this online when he’s living it daily.
am I being too judgemental here.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 111

I don't have a problem with the book. Derek isn't earning, his 24/7 care will cost a fortune and with less money coming in, to live the same standard of life they would have to cut back.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
i think the constant interviews and stories she’s selling about derek and his life after hospital and covid is off putting and it seems she’s kind of profiting from this. She’s not giving him the dignity and peace he deserves after being hospitalised for over a year and has become severely disabled due to COVID complications.

Reactions: 43
Im not sure! It isnt that dignified for Derek I agree, but...

To some extent she is using this to pay for the refurb of their house, and to enable the 24/7 care he needs to be paid for, and making sure her bills are paid and her kids are looked after. It must be better for him to be at home, with support than in a hospital bed in the NHS.

And Covid is a topical issue.

And as a media personality, she is probably being asked how he is by everyone...all the time....so is telling everyone the story on her terms.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
I feel for her, her husband and the kids especially.
but bloody hell not a day goes by when she doesn’t put a price tag on his dignity and self respect.

this isn’t raising awareness, this is rubbernecking a man who’s been left a shell of his former self with 24/7 care to perform his most basic tasks.

she needs to stop putting all of this online when he’s living it daily.
am I being too judgemental here.
I kinda agree with you. She’s showing him at his most vulnerable to millions of people. If he’s given his consent then fair enough but I just get a bit of a ‘ick’ feeling about it. Maybe film it at a later date when he’s better, not as vulnerable etc.

Reactions: 16
I like Kate do that might cloud my judgement but I think a lot of this could be to pay for work on their house and to keep the money coming in. In saying that, I haven’t read the article but sharing his texts is a bit 😬 and it was a tough watch seeing him crying in hospital in the documentary.

She seems to do a couple of days at GMB and mornings at Smooth but it might not be enough to keep them going. And I can imagine those jobs are a welcome respite from everything so I can see why she might not want to give them up too.

Reactions: 20
I can understand she needs the money,
but it’s the way it’s being done, yet another daily Mail article day after day, warts and all, her kids are at an age where they know everything that’s going on, as do their friends, and it’s all so.... dramatic.
the tears, the details, there could be a middle ground that’s not so

gutter media cash grab.

Reactions: 29
I feel desperation sorry for the whole family but I agree it's getting too much. I feel it invades his privacy, and to an extent the kids as there's a lot about them and their interactions and feelings. I read Derek can't even speak properly yet so how can he give informed consent?

Secondly, many other families are devastated by illness and incapacity, it's horrendous, but they're not the only people suffering. I have a close family member with an incurable brain tumour, he's raised loads of money for The Brain Tumour Charity and raised awareness without carrying on like this (I realise he's not a celeb, I mean on social media etc)

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I just see a woman doing what she needs to do to survive. He isn't ever going to be able to give his consent by the sounds of it. I am sure he would want her to do what she has to do to keep her family together.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
I get the argument that they need money to refurb the house and pay for his care, and that they have been without his wage for a year/Kate has been working less.

HOWEVER some of the things that she has put out there have been too much and too personal in my opinion. Do we need to know his last texts? Do we need to see him lying vulnerable in hospital bed weeping?

Yes you need to do what you need to do to survive but at the price of your loved ones dignity? No thank you. I would be absolutely mortified if I were in Dereks position.

Reactions: 28
I feel for her and Derek and appreciate how difficult it must be for them all. It maybe helps her to pour it all out what she's suffering but it's just the fine line between sharing and overkill that's the issue. Many of us have lost our nearest and dearest to the bastard Covid and as such we are having to cope. Others are also having to cope with relatives who have survived but are sadly not the same person they were. Sometimes her constant Derek narrative gets a bit much, and when it's everywhere all the time it can be difficult to avoid.

Reactions: 12
I feel for her and Derek and appreciate how difficult it must be for them all. It maybe helps her to pour it all out what she's suffering but it's just the fine line between sharing and overkill that's the issue. Many of us have lost our nearest and dearest to the bastard Covid and as such we are having to cope. Others are also having to cope with relatives who have survived but are sadly not the same person they were. Sometimes her constant Derek narrative gets a bit much, and when it's everywhere all the time it can be difficult to avoid.
I was interested in their story and wished them well when there was the odd update every now and again. But now I swear I’m seeing daily articles on it with more and more personal details described. Like you say, there’s a fine line and I think that Kate has now crossed it.

Reactions: 24
I was interested in their story and wished them well when there was the odd update every now and again. But now I swear I’m seeing daily articles on it with more and more personal details described. Like you say, there’s a fine line and I think that Kate has now crossed it.
Yes, that's it exactly. I wish him well in his continued recovery but for some who've lost people seeing it all the time is just a reminder, if they're trying to cope and move forward themselves.

Reactions: 6
I couldn’t even imagine having a father that has gone from taking care of you, to being the one who needs constant attending to and care, with little to no privacy or dignity.

and seeing it all play out on mail online etc daily, with your mum posing for photos each time, It must be hell.

• Sad
Reactions: 29
I really feel for her I really do , but bleeping hell I'm scAred to open my fridge. There is no dignity left, and he is hardly in position to agree or disagree to the way she handles this. Makes more sad for people doing the right without all the media, funds and earning opportunities

Reactions: 18
I thought the mail articles were just publicity for the book and you can understand why she would want to sell as much as possible. Some of it does seem very personal but perhaps it’s partly her way of dealing with it and partly a way of ensuring she still has some income. Wasn’t there a suggestion she might need to give up work to care for him?

Reactions: 8
Look at the Peaky Blinder’s Aunt Polly, who just passed away. Such dignity. She fought her battle and kept it all very private. Very classy and British. Look at Prince Phillip too. It’s a very private thing. I believe things such as illness and dying, only loved ones should be as witness, not the internet and social media. Especially when you are posting the ins and outs of someone else, your child or husband, you are taking away their right to dignity and privacy.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
The media coverage over this situation is a bit too much for me, I've followed the story since it first broke and I've always felt sad for Kate and her family. The coverage was fine at the start of the story but over time got more and more intrusive which annoys me. I personally think Kate has been
quite strong through all this, giving her lots of credit where credit is due.

Reactions: 9
I thought the mail articles were just publicity for the book and you can understand why she would want to sell as much as possible. Some of it does seem very personal but perhaps it’s partly her way of dealing with it and partly a way of ensuring she still has some income. Wasn’t there a suggestion she might need to give up work to care for him?
Your post completely focuses on Kate - HER way of dealing with it, HER way of maintaining income, SHE may need to give up work. But where’s Derek in all of this? Yes Kate has obviously had a very hard time, but Derek is the one that has had his dignity and privacy ripped to shreds.

Reactions: 18
Your post completely focuses on Kate - HER way of dealing with it, HER way of maintaining income, SHE may need to give up work. But where’s Derek in all of this? Yes Kate has obviously had a very hard time, but Derek is the one that has had his dignity and privacy ripped to shreds.
Maybe wrong to focus on her but if she’s caring for Derek and having to work less,who’s paying the bills,who is dealing with their kids and who is putting food on the table......life has to go on to some extent for the kids and if this is a way of allowing that then surely it’s not all bad. It wouldn’t be for everyone to share private details but hard to say what you would do in such a situation until you are in it.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.