Kate Garraway

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hadn’t read that about the clots , it’s a sad situation no denying that. I guess it will never be made public how it is funded but I’m not sure what benefit there is to the viewing public to see the story. If she wasn’t ‘famous’ as it were, it wouldn’t be happening. On the other hand she needs the income for his care, I absolutely get that. I think ITV have an interest and want to support her but how far does it go. She’s churned out a lot in a short space of time, where does it go next.
I completely agree. And I kind of hope in a way it is financially motivated because I wouldn’t have ever put her in the category of selling her family out. But as you say, we’ll probably never know.

It was the pantomime for me - that would have been a lovely day but someone tipped the papers off. I know there are the two journalists on GMB in the mornings but surely if she’d casually mentioned it, they wouldn’t have passed it on to their papers?

I cared for my dad for a few years before he had to go into a home and I was so protective of him and the fact he was so vulnerable. I didn’t tell even my brother the finer details of it because it felt wrong. I wasn’t able to give him full time care because I had to work and my job certainly wasn’t as well paid as Kate’s.

Reactions: 12
I agree about the vulnerability, some things need to stay private regardless of the price. But I guess she needs to show the real day to day reality of his illness and care in order to get the views and further programmes. Maybe she feels there is no alternative. I haven’t read her book or watched the first programme. I’ve just caught snippets in the press.

Reactions: 4
She just seems to be cashing in and that’s what I find distasteful. Let’s be honest, she would never have got the Life Stories job if it wasn’t for what’s going on with Derek.

Reactions: 16
She said something about flying him to Mexico for treatment for Long COVID and she said she was very fortunate because her job allowed her to make the documentary, and that’s how this Doctor found out about him). I wonder if they had to pay or if the trip was funded for publicity.

I was reading the comments on her IG grid post and someone said that Long COVID causes small clots on the brain that appear similar to Alzheimer’s.
she thanked British Airways for the flights, so I don’t know if she was just being polite, or whether they gave Her the flights.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I couldn’t even imagine having a father that has gone from taking care of you, to being the one who needs constant attending to and care, with little to no privacy or dignity.

and seeing it all play out on mail online etc daily, with your mum posing for photos each time, It must be hell.
April 21, nearly 12 months of sympathy bags. 💰💰💰💰
Nice work if you can get a family member to fall ill and lose all their basic functions and dignity it

Reactions: 7
I wonder if BA are pleased they gave the free flights to Barbados on a trip where he ( Captain Tom) caught the ‘Rona. Hindsight!
Seems as though BA love a covid story.

edited for a very strange typo 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Until people stop watching the itv shows ("caring for Derek" on tonight) he's going to keep getting paraded about.

She's been praised so much that she can't stop with the Circus. Most probably still think she's doing the right thing.
Who is watching/reading/interested though - genuinely don’t understand it. Any media she gets, the comments sections are very scathing. There must be a lot more to how she gets these gigs because I don’t believe public interest is that high in her, nor that anyone except a small minority is comfortable with this parade of an extremely vulnerable person and his children. But they still keep running with it!

Who is watching/reading/interested though - genuinely don’t understand it. Any media she gets, the comments sections are very scathing. There must be a lot more to how she gets these gigs because I don’t believe public interest is that high in her, nor that anyone except a small minority is comfortable with this parade of an extremely vulnerable person and his children. But they still keep running with it!
Most of the itv schedule you need a lobotomy to enjoy it, there must be loads lapping up Kate and her journey.

Even cynical people like nick Ferrari were praising her during the media circuit to promote the show.

Reactions: 9
I think there isn't anything I wouldn't do to provide for my partner if he had a catastrophic illness and the money could potentially help any form of recovery or just ensure that he had the best care for the rest of his life, whether that be at home or in residential care. So I don't think this is icky in the same way I would if it were purely for her financial benefit - as long as the money goes to caring for him/is in his best interests medically, that's what counts.

Had he been dumped into the cheapest care home and she was out on the tiles every night (not just an occasional thing, everybody has a right to do that, she shouldn't be confined to the house at all times whether she's directly caring or has staff to do it), that would be crappy. But I don't think there's any reason to suspect that it's all being siphoned off. And she is working, it's not influencer activity that has no value whatsoever, in her usual job - having some additional opportunities or getting higher up a list because she's got a severely disabled husband to provide for isn't in my opinion, a bad thing.

FWIW, I don't even like her as a presenter and would never watch anything she's on now or before this happened. I just don't begrudge her any money she can make whilst he is benefitting from her increased income.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Kate often says now lucky they are, that Derek is still alive, when so many lost theirs. But I wonder how Derek feels. I think I know how I'd feel. I mean they say he is never going to recover. Would I want to go on like that - totally dependent on other people? I doubt it. I'd prefer quality of life over quantity. It is a controversial opinion maybe, but I don't know if I'd feel "lucky" in that position.

• Heart
So I'm watching the documentary currently and it really is heartbreaking. Correct me if i'm wrong, but from what I've read so far, it seems his condition at the moment is a result of the induced coma, and not exactly becasuse of the covid infection itself?

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I’ve just switched on to itv, first time I’ve watched any of the ‘story’. You can see how exhausted and frustrated she is and what a mammoth task she has on her hands. I’m surprised (or am I?) that she has the added stress of things that should be more straight forward, like trying to get through to the GP to sort out medication. I guess I thought that perhaps this would be more managed for her ( not that’s she should be any different) but it does show the extra stress piled onto an already difficult situation. She’s now talking about the bedding, am I expecting a #gifted laundry service to be up and coming. I bet she feels like a Guinea pig on a wheel. It’s extremely sad, this is the reality for many families that care for their loved ones. I feel sorry for her and her family as I would for a one in this or a similar situation.

Just to add, the questions they are asking in the Mexican clinic are similar to those asked in a dementia assessment.

• Heart
Did he have a stroke caused by Covid19 or by the induced coma?
I found it hard to watch. Derek lights up when he sees his son.

I personally think this highlights the lack of ‘care’ post NHS treatment/hospital discharge. Not only our elderly but those who need additional support etc etc.

Kate is one in 6.5million who provides care for a loved one. There are many more who have it harder than Kate, who are poorer, who have no security. No family.

If anything, I wonder what Derek makes of his recovery being part of a documentary and I wonder psychologically how he is coping with his future. It’s very sad.

• Sad
Kate has had a very interesting and fortunate career from my own limited recollections. I recall all the changes that took place on This Morning in its various incarnations and while others were removed she always clung on by her fingernails. I remember reading an interview where she said that she's always said yes to changes, rather than bridling at them. She was made entertainment reporter at one stage which looked like a demotion and she just said yes. She's still there years later but taking over from Piers, making documentaries and now a heath programme she's fronting.
My reading of this is ITV looking after their own and creating opportunities for her to make money to fund Derek's care while making money from her, as a familiar 'girl next door' face.
It bugs me that we keep seeing the same small pool of presenters (Holly Willoughby, Philip Schofield) and actors used again and again and seeing Kate name on everything is annoying me too! I don't wish her harm but it's too much.

It bugs me that we keep seeing the same small pool of presenters (Holly Willoughby, Philip Schofield) and actors used again and again and seeing Kate name on everything is annoying me too! I don't wish her harm but it's too much.
They also must represent the demographic of the people who watch, there's hardly anyone presenting on ITV Daytime under 40. Not sure what I am saying really ... it's just an observation. :)

Reactions: 6
The whole think is suspect if you ask me, firstly she says 'they don't know how covid affects the brain' since when has it ever been reported anywhere that covid gives people brain injuries, secondly, she says to the woman near the beginning with a poorly husband ' you don't need to panic about bills', so how much is your ITV contract?? Also why doesn't she get someone to shave him regularly, smarten him up a bit, he's still human, & why does the son not have his toys in his bedroom, ok a few toys downstairs, but there were loads.....also now she's saying covid caused vascular dementia, really???
Personally I think she should put him in a home, it's all very well caring for him at home but it's too much for her, she even said it's overwhelming.
I do smell covid bullshit though.💩💩

• Heart
Reactions: 10
So Kate was presenting with Ben earlier in the morning. Now she's on This Morning, discussing the documentary. It's just too much... I'm sorry for what she and her family are going through, but it's just too much... she is on the screen every 5 minutes...

Reactions: 11
Kate Garraway, go away. I am having a nice morning and I don't want it spoiling by having to listen to your New World Order bull 💩.

Reactions: 5
Hearing Kate give her tuppance-worth of opinion on the crisis in Ukraine this morning is the final straw. GMB needs to be scrapped immediately. I'd rather have heard Laura Tobin, she is ex-military. Have her as the main host, not Kate. Let her go and look after her husband. Give us all a break.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.