Jack Monroe #99 Great Eggspectations

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love this kind of stuff because the only cooking I ever do is put stuff on baking trays so I have no idea how wrong she is but I live for your replies.
I'm perhaps a bit too triggered but i can't stand it! This is basic stuff for someone who claims to be a food expert.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Because i know you're reading here - this is from a recipe written by a middle eastern person. Your ignorance and arrogance actually offends me! You are not an expert so shut up.
Denser and mushier sounds right up in her niche tbf.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
You know those scratchcard maps you hang on the wall and scratch off every country you've visited?

In these travel-free days, you could do it scratching them off when Jack Monroe bastardises their cuisine.

We'd be left with just Moldova, Vanuatu and North Korea after a couple of months.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Jack Monroe's behaviour is unethical. I came here not because I am a bully but because she is unethically pretenting she is poor. I was in a devastating financial situation, not self-inflicted. I am OK now but I am still by definition officially poor. I don't beg and I don't shout about it, I am making an exception now to prove my point and this is anonymous. I NEVER begged anyone to give me money. If I borrowed, I showed great strengh and successfully and painstakingly paid everyone back. We are talking about 100£, not more. I have NEVER accepted money from anyone who was equally poor or even poorer. I have never shared my situation with anyone who had so little money so that I would gain their pity and make them offer sth to me because I know that the poorer people are most likely to help.
If I accepted help it was from people who I had also done things for, at the time without inferior motives.
I have never displayed my poverty if not absolutely necessary. I was always the person who had "alread eaten at home/wasn't hungry.
I told someone that I had been in a tough situation a few months ago and she very recently asked if I was fine now. It would have taken NOTHING to make her offer me a wad of cash but I said I was fine and thanked her for it and told her that her offer meant the world to me. I meant it.
A while ago I was in a bad shape emotionally. Gosh, how much I would have 'deserved' a trip to e.g. Edinburgh to lick my wounds. But I didn't, because I knew bills had to be paid. I have not been on a holiday for a very long time. But I can pay my bills and I don't beg. When I looked at JM's multiple radios I remembered that I would have loved one of those, too. But even when I was in full time employment, I was sensible and used my 20 y old radio.
Everything I buy, apart from underwear, is used and I really don't mind.
Even in poor times I have handed over plates of food to others, because I could always find someone who was even poorer. But believe me- my food shop was a different one than JM's and my home-cooked food tastes lovely and looks nice.
I am here because due to my own poverty I don't believe JM is poor. I feel cheated on, offended, traited and ridiculed by her behaviour.
I still rent, btw, and until I was 30 I always lived in flatshares.
Oh, and I batch-cook, too !!!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 96
You know those scratchcard maps you hang on the wall and scratch off every country you've visited?

In these travel-free days, you could do it scratching them off when Jack Monroe bastardises their cuisine.

We'd be left with just Moldova, Vanuatu and North Korea after a couple of months.
Don't give her any ideas! i'm willing to bet Jack has a forensic knowledge of north korean politics. probably some really personal experience that makes it especially traumatic for her to talk about too.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Meat-free frauen, do you ever eat protein sources that are not white beans? Every tweet is "replace the chicken/sausages/bacon/full roast dinner with a tin of beans if you're vegan"

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Meat-free frauen, do you ever eat protein sources that are not white beans? Every tweet is "replace the chicken/sausages/bacon/full roast dinner with a tin of beans if you're vegan"
That's all the meat-free are allowed. Though they are allowed any herb

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.