Jack Monroe #94 It’s okay Jack, others have taken up the baton

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's definitely private rentals that are the biggest problem. Renting is very expensive. Their needs to be a call for sensible rent prices to help people afford to pay them.

My brother lived in an all be it very nice flat for a time but the rent was extortionate, so he had to move.
I am in a professional job, earn around the national UK income and I can't afford anything but shared housing where I currently live. The sign of my relative wealth and privilege is I can afford a shared house with a living room. And if that's what someone doing a typical white collar job can afford where I live, what does it mean for people who earn below that?

If I got pregnant I'd have to abort even if I wanted the baby because I simply could not afford it - and I don't even see myself as 'poor' as Jack does - for the fact that I can afford a place with a living room and to put money in savings for emergencies and for the possibility of a house if I can move somewhere cheaper later on.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
In fairness Gizzi was on the ‘posting an overly filtered pic of yourself’ game in her stories today. Probably found it to be a confidence booster and told Jack to do the same going by that response.

It’s really sad and very harmful for young women specifically. And I’m really quite disgusted at both of them, especially considering they both have a tendency to be overly critical about similar issues in the past. Both of them are very much one rule for them and another for everyone else.

I’m not a fan but I know others are so sorry if offense is caused, but I find Gizzi can be a bit of a dick too at times. Not Jack levels obvs.
Ah! I don't follow Gizzi/don't really have any idea who she is to be honest but agreed. It can be seen as a bit of fun, given that usage of filters or Facetune is disclosed. Jack of course didn't reveal anything of the sort. Very dangerous, especially for someone who has set herself up as some kind of icon to many vulnerable people of all ages!

Reactions: 20
Ah! I don't follow Gizzi/don't really have any idea who she is to be honest but agreed. It can be seen as a bit of fun, given that usage of filters or Facetune is disclosed. Jack of course didn't reveal anything of the sort. Very dangerous, especially for someone who has set herself up as some kind of icon to many vulnerable people of all ages!
Gizzi, like mom is the daughter of a LITERAL BARON.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
I also find it extraordinary that she didn’t seem to promote this at all at the time. I can’t remember her pushing it at all. I think she just allowed the Trussell Trust to put her name to it, but put in the bare minimum of effort herself.
she doesn't work for free or even very much for charity it would seem.

Reactions: 22
I am in a professional job, earn around the national UK income and I can't afford anything but shared housing where I currently live. The sign of my relative wealth and privilege is I can afford a shared house with a living room. And if that's what someone doing a typical white collar job can afford where I live, what does it mean for people who earn below that?

If I got pregnant I'd have to abort even if I wanted the baby because I simply could not afford it - and I don't even see myself as 'poor' as Jack does - for the fact that I can afford a place with a living room and to put money in savings for emergencies and for the possibility of a house if I can move somewhere cheaper later on.
It’s terrible though, isn’t it? A complete failure of the state to provide affordable housing for the people it serves. Makes one wonder what the point is, what’s the meaning of life, when things are as borderline as you describe, the abortion even if you want it angle is heartbreaking. Agree with the stoic attitude of appreciating the good fortune of having more then most, but that speaks higher of your own good attitude than it does life in Britain, of which this is a damning assessment.

Reactions: 34
I agree. I think the stuff Gizzi does you can tell it's a fun glamour shot not to be taken too seriously. The way Jack distorts herself in these pictures and acts as if she just took a quick snap is dangerous to herself when she looks in the mirror and looks nothing like her filtered pictures.

Reactions: 24
I ag

I agree. I think the stuff Gizzi does you can tell it's a fun glamour shot not to be taken too seriously. The way Jack distorts herself in these pictures and acts as if she just took a quick snap is dangerous to herself when she looks in the mirror and looks nothing like her filtered pictures.
This is what I don’t get. When you’re putting yourself out there, filtered to duck, is it not utterly depressing to see that get tons of likes when it’s not really you?

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Thing is, we’ve been banging on for weeks over here about how her £20 shop thing feeds into the narrative that people don’t need hand-outs to feed their kids, they just need to try harder - like Jack.
Many people have also made the point that the £20 shop doesn’t recognise items she already has in the store cupboard, nor does it recognise that not everyone has multiple freezers and fancy kitchen equipment, nor does it recognise the cost of fuel.
Jack’s ignored all this, until today. When she must finally have realised that she is actually bolstering the arguments of the “sentient hams”.
I think she’s losing the plot. It’s her narcissistic rage that’s doing this - she simply can’t bear not being centre of the story.
The crowning glory of course was that she claimed to be brought to tears not by the thought of kids in poverty going without meals now, but by re-reading her own overwrought story from nearly 10 years ago, which is only about her and has nothing to say about the wider poverty issue. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone so self-centred in my life.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
The pomposity, dishonesty & arrogance she’s shown has really taken her to another level in my book today. ‘Food poverty exists because’. Why have you never addressed any of that then & also who the duck are you to be pontificating-doing exactly what you’re now attacking others for? You’ve achieved precisely nothing except benefitting yourself, duck off. Charlatan.
it seems like only last week that Jack was blaming food poverty on Asda putting the price of beans

• Heart
Reactions: 43
I also went back to check what Jack’s contribution was to the 2014 Food Poverty Report. It appears she gave oral evidence to the Committee (written evidence would have been too much effort, knowing Jack). Close to 300 companies, organisations, charities and individuals gave evidence - whether by written papers or meetings -and the acknowledgments in the final report stretch to over 10 pages. So I think that puts her “contribution” into context, although I expect she would like her followers to think she actually sat in the Committee and gave them all their ideas.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Wonder if Louisa is going round again tonight? I can picture Jack, lying in the foetal position on one of her many, expensive sofas with her head in Louisa’s lap, in front of a coffee table groaning with the most expensive mezze from Ocado, wailing:

“Why has nobody with a blue tick mentioned MEEEEEEE with all this talk of free school meals?! I’ve been giving the exact same speech for nearly a decade so EVERYONE must know that sometimes my dad dropped me off to school in a VAN. Only POOR people have vans, don’t they? Please text Krishmate now and ask him to interview me about my lightbulbs again”.
This whole post is comedy gold, but “Krishmate” really made me laugh!

Also, late to the party, but @Walkdengirl - congratulations to your daughter and partner! It’s great to hear some happy news, I really hope you’re all having a wonderful day🎊
@Pocahontas Wonderful recap as always, I can’t even write my name that early in the morning! And a perfect thread title @Droosie123 !

l keep thinking that there’s a parallel universe out there, one where things are similar but slightly different, where this thread is called something like...
Jack Monroe #94 - It’s okay Jack, others have taken up the baton, no sideboards sat on, pet shop boys HAT on looool!!!!!!”

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
Did the Frau who wrote and asked why Jack hadn't been mention alongside Marcus, given that she had tweeted that she was working with him but couldn't mention it yet, ever get a reply?
I'm really sorry I can't remember who it was.

Reactions: 12
What does this mean "it's literally my job / their job"

By this logic it's literally my (and anyone else who does it) job to be a parent, shop, cook and prepare meals ... newsflash, that is indeed work, but it's not a job in the sense they are referring to! Everyone else in the world has to do all that and more on top of having a literal job.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
It’s terrible though, isn’t it? A complete failure of the state to provide affordable housing for the people it serves. Makes one wonder what the point is, what’s the meaning of life, when things are as borderline as you describe, the abortion even if you want it angle is heartbreaking. Agree with the stoic attitude of appreciating the good fortune of having more then most, but that speaks higher of your own good attitude than it does life in Britain, of which this is a damning assessment.
Blame Thatcher and the Right to Buy, essentially large scale privatisation of housing with millions of shareholders. Offer bribes to tenants, who can blame them for falling for it?

Except their kids grow and join the council housing list, whoops! no houses! Not to worry, let's call in the private sector, they can fill the gap! Oh, no one wants to be a landlord. Not to worry let's take away secure tendencies and rent controls. Let the market decide.

Which brings us up to the late 1980s. Next chapter the stigmatisation of social
housing and it's tenants, with a brief trip into how many billions we have paid out in housing benefits to private landlords, and a side serving of ,'all the council housing is going to immigrants' woth documentary evidence to contradict this.

Eta, and not to mention the twatheads (on mumset) who seem to believe that Social housing is subsidised by the taxpayer, (that's private landlords through housing benefit) no matter how many times you try to explain it on simple easy to understand words, that it isn't, and simultaneously reside and envy anyone with a socia housing tenancy

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.