Jack Monroe #94 It’s okay Jack, others have taken up the baton

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wherein her dad admits to having enough money to cover quite substantial expenses (over £130k's worth)

The family lives in a five-bedroom house, after investing £30,000 to build extra rooms when they made the decision to foster. Living in a larger property means that they now pay almost double the rate of counciltax they would have done otherwise, as well as more for heating and lighting. The family has also had to buy a seven-seater car so that they can all fit in – but of course having a bigger car costs more to insure and fill up with fuel.

“It comes out of my pocket as the foster allowance doesn’t cover it,” he says. David has done a rough calculation of how much he thinks he has spent on fostering.

“I’ve probably paid out £100,000 over the 14 years. Fostering is an expensive business and if we didn’t foster our circumstances would be very different – I would have to find a lot less money every month. I make no complaint because I volunteered for the task and have had many happy times, but I thought the cost of fostering would be met by the local authority and have found out to my cost that’s not the case. It’s like going to work and me taking the fire engine down to the petrol station and paying on my card.”

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 41
Babe, same. I was babysitting the neighbours' kids aged 12, hence I grew up in dire poverty (erm, no, I didn't) . I got a job in a bookshop aged 14. A few hours every Saturday, stacking shelves, tidying up, dusting, making tea for the staff, etc. I loved having my own money.
I remember having a little job when I was a teen once I forgot to pick up my wage when I finished work and when I got home my mum started crying because shed been relying on my little pay packet to buy food for tea that night, by God did I go to bed feeling like the worst person in the world that night....

I feel like I must have done living in poverty wrong tho because I'm dont get the same badly done to, woe is me type feelings that Jack seems to suffer from 🤔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
Working before 16 doesn't necessarily equate to growing up in a low income family, either. It's a rite of passage once you're old enough to get a Saturday job or whatever, so much so that I remember our french speaking exam in year 8 or 9 was on 'petits boulots'. I guess it's how you're going to be using the money you earn that makes the difference. So if Jack's logic is 'I had a job before 16 therefore that must mean I can claim low income', she really is off the wall.

ETA: ooh I wonder what job she had!? We may be able to add to the list!
Definitely. We weren't rich, but certainly comfortable enough. Getting a teenage job was pretty much an expectation. I babysat, then did shop work, my brother delivered junk mail then did shop work, and my sister also did shop work. If you wanted treats, you had to work for it! I certainly don't think it was a bad thing, it gave us all a bit of independence, money, and taught us how to balance work and study.

Reactions: 27
I just hope more and more people discover us on google. For the benefit of them & google:

Jack Monroe’s family is wealthy
Jack Monroe’s dad is a landlord
Jack Monroe’s grandad was a landlord
Jack Monroe is a Tory

She’s sickened me today tbh
She is awful. Not long ago she was tweeting that she used to tidy her room by emptying out her wardrobe and colour coding it.

As you said, she actually probably genuinely believes that her family was "low income".

She hasn't a clue what poverty is.

And why is she implying she is too poor to buy Christmas presents? Sure she showed us a few weeks ago that she had spent £25 on a friend and also said she had a separate savings account set up for Christmas! Lying wee witch.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Yes, this was her original excuse - she sent that tweet at 1:10am, Sunday 25th October. The bad back excuse was then wheeled out later that morning at 8.30am.

Oh duck off Jack...

View attachment 288068
"Having a job" is one thing. "Working" can be another.

"I love work. It fascinates me. I could sit and watch it for hours." (Jerome. K. Jerome)

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Wherein her dad admits to having enough money to cover quite substantial expenses (over £130k's worth)

The family lives in a five-bedroom house, after investing £30,000 to build extra rooms when they made the decision to foster. Living in a larger property means that they now pay almost double the rate of counciltax they would have done otherwise, as well as more for heating and lighting. The family has also had to buy a seven-seater car so that they can all fit in – but of course having a bigger car costs more to insure and fill up with fuel.

“It comes out of my pocket as the foster allowance doesn’t cover it,” he says. David has done a rough calculation of how much he thinks he has spent on fostering.

“I’ve probably paid out £100,000 over the 14 years. Fostering is an expensive business and if we didn’t foster our circumstances would be very different – I would have to find a lot less money every month. I make no complaint because I volunteered for the task and have had many happy times, but I thought the cost of fostering would be met by the local authority and have found out to my cost that’s not the case. It’s like going to work and me taking the fire engine down to the petrol station and paying on my card.”
He sounds so grasping in this article, it actually makes my teeth itch. You can see where Jack gets it from.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
He sounds so grasping in this article, it actually makes my teeth itch. You can see where Jack gets it from.
I've read it before but it seems even worse this time round. The ~woe is me, I have to pay my own bills for my own massive house~ attitude certainly seems to run in the family.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47

It’s time to wake up, cabal! Your paper round won’t do itself ➡

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
It wasn’t her because it takes 15 buses to get there and she has barely a plate in the crappy rented bungalow!

View attachment 288133
This incredible action was organised by a local women’s collective who are quite active on Twitter and getting some traction. They’re asking people to retweet - can’t see local girl Jack on the threads though... With the plates they also posted a list of local places offering free meals.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.