Jack Monroe #92 Reverse Robin Hood, grifts from the poor to give to herself

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have a confession to make. I was stupid enough to attempt the Pappa Al Pomodoro before I joined this coven. I have been too ashamed to admit it until now.

It goes without saying; do NOT make it! I was nauseous and bloated for hours afterwards. It should come with a safety warning

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 56
Stuffing mix is pure heartburn at the best of times, mixing it with tomato puree and stock is....I can feel the back of my throat burning just at the thought of it

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
If the tip jar is supposed to be for maintaining the website why hasn't she invested any money in making it halfway decent and functional? She is inept. And just utterly lazy. I genuinely have never encountered anyone so lazy. She doesn't put any effort or pride into anything.
She still hasn't amended the tomato soup recipe to say how much water she uses, I guess that tiny task has gone on her 'to do' list which means it will never actually get done.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Jack. Stop acting like a twit. The food is one thing, taking from the poor is another. Next time send it back STRAIGHT AWAY. The fact she ‘forgot’ makes me wonder how many others are sending money it’s not that significant.

Anyway, I think it would be quite good to make a list of tried recipes (at least it would protect others from making them) and a short review. I’ll go first...

Kidney Bean Burgers - bland, unpleasant texture, gave me terrible wind.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
Long time lurker, hi!

It really annoys me that she goes on about CHEAP bread and CHEAP this and CHEAP that.

Never read a recipe and it's ingredients are listed expensive, mid range or cheap. Just say 'bread on the side'. Don't know if that's irrational annoyance 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 57
After all this soup talk I've just had a lovely little cream of tomato cup a soup. I'm not fussy and they were a pound (4 sachets inside) 😊

Reactions: 29
Long time lurker, hi!

It really annoys me that she goes on about CHEAP bread and CHEAP this and CHEAP that.

Never read a recipe and it's ingredients are listed expensive, mid range or cheap. Just say 'bread on the side'. Don't know if that's irrational annoyance 😂
If you make your own bread, even sourdough isn't crazy expensive.

I make bread dough (in my breadmaker) most weekends and then shape and bake it. It tastes lovely and isn't expensive.

A slice or 2 of that with a nice boiled egg is simple, cheap and tasty.

She has a very odd view of food, and food poverty.

BTW Jack, the slower you cook your scrambled eggs, the nicer they will be. It's all to do with changing the structure of the protein, but you will know that. That's why some people do them in a double boiler.
And point 2, they are also nice if you do them in the microwave, quicker and no pan to heat up (I know you hate pre heating pans)

Reactions: 24
After all this soup talk I've just had a lovely little cream of tomato cup a soup. I'm not fussy and they were a pound (4 sachets inside) 😊
Did the stuffing mix thicken up in the brew?

What about the cheap white bread, tell me you had it with cheap white bread.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Cup a soups are brilliant! I tend to have one if I’m working from home. If I’m physically at work I can’t as our manager is against us consuming anything at our desks with a strong smell, so I’ll have one in my break (try and 🔺 that, jackamo!)

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Long time lurker, hi!

Yes!!! Surely to us absolute plebs, it's just known as 'bread'.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I explored the site a bit.

I clicked on "Top Tips". This led me to a recipe for hot lemon and honey for a sore throat, which was tagged as vegan. Then 5 posts announcing discounts on her books. The 7th post down, her guide to student cooking, is the first to feature tips (I offer no comment on how "top" they may be).

The Vegan page features Tomato, Bread & Butter Pasta, which is not suitable for vegans. It also features this blurb, which is not suitable for human beings:

View attachment 282713

The SNACKS & TREATS page (which for some reason is in all-caps on the menu) showcases her delicious treat of...banana peel ketchup. It also has this blurb, which made me HOOT at its quintessential Jack promise of a full 3 recipes to come, none of which have materialised:

the most popular of the three cakes at the tea stop by far. I was very chuffed – although I had also made the other two as well! Recipes for those to follow later – for now, please enjoy this utter delight...I’ll also be posting a vegan edition later down the line using applesauce in place of the eggs; I just want to test it first as this is a particularly moist cake so I’ve a feeling it won’t be a straight simple swap

I got as far as Microwave Marmite Mac & Cheese, which features this gem of culinary advice: If you’re a hater, not a lover, just leave it out What would we do without her?
The thing that irritates me most about this awful piece of writing is her trying to make out she has touch starvation.

She broke up with Louisa what... a month or 2 ago? And also lives with her son who can give her a hug now and again for Christ’s sake.

I am also one of the lucky ones and live with someone but I have friends that live alone and haven’t had skin to skin contact since March.

It’s like she has to co opt everyone else’s misery. What a total joke for her to even try and jump on that bandwagon.

Reactions: 41
Two hours later. Two cups of tea, cheese and salad sandwich and now a cup of coffee. I can still taste the tomato purée. It is lodged at the back of my throat like a coating. I just can not get rid of it. I only ate a couple of spoonfulls, what would I be like if I had eaten a bowlful?

I have decided to chuck it down the bog. It really isn't worth spoiling any other food with it. Such a waste.

Revised review........ disgusting.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 88
Long time lurker, hi!

She can't afford butter & can only afford 1 loaf of the cheapest, cheap softy soft soft pillowy soft cheap white bread.
But, can seemingly produce more eggs than the bastard love child of the easter bunny & Harry Houdini.
Amazing

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
Re. Cup a soups:. Ainsley Harriott ones are so tasty! 25p per cup and minimal effort involved.

Also....do we know if the eggs she uses are Free Range? No matter how skint I am, I would always buy FR

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.