Jack Monroe #79 Big mistake. Big. HUGE.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm guessing the raita is to eat with the dahl/stir fry veg concoction? Why can't she just make a normal raita? And have the pineapple as pudding or a snack?! It boggles my mind 🤯.
I've googled pineapple riata, and it is a thing. But the pictures look different to Jack's pictures.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Totally agree. And I think she may have had a go at people doing just this when the Marcus Rashford COVID free dinners controversy happened? Although not 100% on this and hard to recall when she deletes everything 🙄
She absolutely did. Ridiculous way to cost things out when not everyone will have the whole ÂŁ10 or ÂŁ20 in the same day to budget like this. She made the argument at the time that someone "like she was" could be standing with ÂŁ1.59 to feed themselves and a child for dinner that night. She's a hypocrite and a bs'er.

Reactions: 29
I’ve never posted here because these threads move at the speed of lightning BUT that rainbow (brown) dhansak is very silly. She shouldn’t be encouraging people to freeze and reheat stir fry mix with beansprouts in.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
The way she writes recipes is abysmal.
‘Scum.’ Scum - why would you write this in a recipe that you want to entice people with? Also - ‘wait a beat, or more accurately, two minutes.’ Just say two minutes, you fool!
‘Some people are a bit aghast at me using stock cubes in curries’ - what a bleeping shoddy sentence. I hate your writing, Jack - you have no business in this ... business.
Exactly?! Also - 'if it really gives you the willies'... I just don't want to suddenly be having these mental images when I'm reading a recipe, ya know?

She wants to be seductive a la Nigella, but in reality she makes Mr Bean look like a siren.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
I’m not on a budget (fancy) but I still do a meal plan before I go shopping because unless you’re a total dick why wouldn’t you? I cannot bear food waste and I don’t have the time (IM BUSY reading Tattle) or energy to start making up maverick meals every evening because I’ve just scooted round the shops slinging any old shite in my trolly and not considered what’s in my cupboards/fridge already that might need using up!

Ive not always been fancy, I’ve been on a budget and the only way you can realistically know you’re going to be able to feed yourself for a week is with a plan. I taught myself this because I realised quickly once I’d left home that wo(man) cannot live on finders crispy pancakes alone.

Also it takes the fear out of dinner times, you know where you’re at, you know you’ve got the ingredients and you’re good to go. My mother used to start making food and then be like “oh no onions” go to the shop and get onions, come back with onions and she’d realise she had no oxo’s so she’d send us out again for oxo but we had to go to the “top shops” (Fuxking miles away) because she wasn’t buying oxos from that robbing madam af the corner shop 🙄. Get back with oxos and she’d realised she didn’t have enough potatoes! This was my life as a kid and it sure as hell wasnt gonna let that happen to mine...so plan!

That is what she needs to start with...write a weekly menu, list the ingredients for each meal, then go and buy it, show your receipts, then make the meal and write the recipe! Nobody cares that you can make some nonsense slop for 35p out of yellow sticker crap that’s exclusive to your shop! ITS NOT HELPING ANYONE

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 65
If I budgeted for 20 quid in a shop, I’d get:

Basic potatoes
Lots of carrots as they are quite bulky
Some frozen sweet corn and peas
Broccoli and /or cauliflower
Chicken
Sausages (own brand finest/taste the difference etc, because higher pork content)
Some frozen fruit (I prefer frozen berries and pineapple rather than oranges etc)
Bread
Pasta
Chopped tomatoes
Flour
Jam
Butter
Beans

Plus some snacks.

I normally have a good stock of herbs, spices and condiments, baking supplies etc. I think the key is to keep ingredients simple - especially where potatoes and veg are concerned you can have multiple meals with those. Jack seems to mix a lot of random ingredients in a pot and stirs, but cost wise that adds up. Sometimes “meat and two veg plus potatoes and gravy” is a filling nutritious meal and actually quite cheap. So many puddings can be so cheap too - I make apple crumble once a week. Basic sponge cakes also fairly cheap if you ready have flours and sugars in stock. Heck, I’m still working though the 16kg bag of flour I panic bought at the start of lockdown (I know, I know. I won’t do that again this time!). I’ve made cheap pizzas, bread rolls, cinnamon whirls etc for a fraction of the price of buying from the bakery section. The baking is more of a necessity for me though as allergic to nuts I can rarely find baked items that are suitable. People on a very tight budget in poverty would surely much rather have potato, chicken and veg, plus a slice of homemade sponge cake than some strange bastardisation of a cultural dish that used 20 ingredients in one hit?!
Dear heart, you are a talking-sense person and not a maverick little scamp.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
That’s right - she did. I remember that too.
I’ve found the tweets where Jack was talking about living on £3 per day. It was part of the Annunziata (and Barbara) pile-on (which later gifted us the unforgettable “Potatoes” 🙄).

Attachments

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
I’ve found the tweets where Jack was talking about living on £3 per day. It was part of the Annunziata (and Barbara) pile-on (which later gifted us the unforgettable “Potatoes” 🙄).
'Excuse the tit out of me'? No. duck off you utter twit.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Aww, Barbara is so sweet-jings! Just answering a question and old big mouth jack has to spit at her. Vile.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 42
That really was Jack at her most unpleasant and it is quite a sight to behold.

• Angry
Reactions: 40
Someone else has dared to call her out. Don’t worry though, the other jackolytes are as full of tit as usual.
Blows my mind how they can come up with such utter crap-the last thing she uses is plain bloody English.
I wonder how many other people see these responses & wonder if they’re mad or everyone else is. I did before I found tattle.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
I love how genuine people were trying to offer solutions and she kept throwing hypothetical scenarios back at them why it wouldn’t work.

“Nope! You only have £3 that you found behind the sofa”

“But what about...”

“NO! You only have one eye and three fingers and you live on an island with no shop”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 90
Poor old Barb she fell into the "upside down" fighting our resident Demogorgon. She's still a hero in my eyes. Be more Barb.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
Someone else has dared to call her out. Don’t worry though, the other jackolytes are as full of tit as usual.
Blows my mind how they can come up with such utter crap-the last thing she uses is plain bloody English.
I wonder how many other people see these responses & wonder if they’re mad or everyone else is. I did before I found tattle.
Squiggle has a valid point that we’ve all mentioned on here; using reduced items which you are not guaranteed to get in every store is not helpful for those truly struggling. Just hope they can weather the maverick storm heading their way.

Reactions: 45
I love how genuine people were trying to offer solutions and she kept throwing hypothetical scenarios back at them why it wouldn’t work.

“Nope! You only have £3 that you found behind the sofa”

“But what about...”

“NO! You only have one eye and three fingers and you live on an island with no shop”
I'm in tears 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 21
How dare she write this. It's actually disgraceful. It's not an imaginary scenario for JM to rage tweet about, people are living in those conditions now, and JM should not be using them to further her own self promoting agenda.

Has she done anything at all to help since the raging of "potatoes" apart from being a cling on to MR and rattling her own tip jar?

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.