Jack Monroe #79 Big mistake. Big. HUGE.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They sell turkey legs at Disneyworld. They’re a famous thing, they look rank.

None of this shopping is helpful. There’s no planning. There’s no this is what is in season, this is good value...
It’s just random stuff to be rinsed and thrown together. How is any of this helpful to anyone. It’s like a bad episode of ready, steady, cook.
Of course it’s not helpful to anyone but her.
Anyone who knew or wanted to teach about food planning would start with at least a vague list and plan for food for the week. What do I have, what do I need extra, planning and economising.

I’m currently writing a shopping list that will cover the next 2 weeks, it’s flexible but it’s there.
But she's a maverick, a little bit whoo, a little bit whay! She's above such mortal things as lists, and planning, and common sense.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
OK, so I fell under the Grunka train but luckily it was chunky Mediterranean arse to the rescue! A few notes:

1) The first lesson anyone on a budget should learn if they are using the reduced section: buy little and often. You will save no money if your food goes off before you can eat it! 2 bags of stir-fry veg and 1 bag of salad will all need to be used today...unlikely. Offal is a risky foodstuff that should never be eaten if it may have gone off, so again should be cooked today or frozen.

2) Including reduced items' prices in a recipe ingredient list is deceitful.

3) SPOILER ALERT: Jack's legendary, maverick shopping technique consists of
folding a paper into quarters, titling each section PROTEIN, CARBS, FRUIT & VEG, STORECUPBOARD then filling them up. Game changer!!!
I've saved so much by doing this that I now own 3 freezers, 20 sideboards and a Caribbean island.

4) Pineapple contains enzymes which curdle yogurt and milk. This is why recipes mixing pineapple and dairy are rare.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 71
Yep I meal plan and it's the best way to go when you on a budget. I look at what we have in the cupboards and freezer then go from there. We like rice and I cook it a lot so I've plenty of that and a bag of pasta. So at least one meal will be a pasta bake of some kind and I usually make at least one curry a fortnight too. I make my own naan bread for it...not completely the same but I get no complaints.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
It's just a game to her. Let's see what yellow stickered bargains we can get and try to show off with a pineapple frigging whatever the hell that was have to be honest I've never heard of it, sounds fancy. Doubt you're gonna be dicking around trying to make stuff like that when you *actually* only have 10-20 quid for the food shop.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I "made" raita the other week by chopping garlic and herbs into natural yoghurt, and I felt a bit iffy about calling it raita because it clearly wasn't. But pineapple? Aye why not. Sure throw in a few yellow label donuts and wet ham while yer at it.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
It's just a game to her. Let's see what yellow stickered bargains we can get and try to show off with a pineapple frigging whatever the hell that was have to be honest I've never heard of it, sounds fancy. Doubt you're gonna be dicking around trying to make stuff like that when you *actually* only have 10-20 quid for the food shop.
Yes! Recently all the dishes she’s done I’ve never even heard of, but obviously have eyes so know they’re wayward. But with all these fancy names it’s as if she’s actively trying to prove that you can be forced into poverty by the government and it’s your own laziness preventing you from eating like you too are a member of the Groucho?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
They sell turkey legs at Disneyworld. They’re a famous thing, they look rank.

None of this shopping is helpful. There’s no planning. There’s no this is what is in season, this is good value...
It’s just random stuff to be rinsed and thrown together. How is any of this helpful to anyone. It’s like a bad episode of ready, steady, cook.
Of course it’s not helpful to anyone but her.
Anyone who knew or wanted to teach about food planning would start with at least a vague list and plan for food for the week. What do I have, what do I need extra, planning and economising.

I’m currently writing a shopping list that will cover the next 2 weeks, it’s flexible but it’s there.
That’s exactly what I thought of when I saw the turkey leg, people walking around Disney World chewing them like some kind of Walmart Henry VIII 🤢

The only hope for that turkey leg is to cook in a slow cooker, or covered in some way, with plenty of liquid. I’d probably cook it in a smoky BBQ kind of sauce, then pull the meat and serve in buns with salad. Non manky salad though, Jackie!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 29
I have the feeling that when Jack goes shopping it has about as much planning as Mr Benn popping into that fancy dress shop.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
The mucky spoon next to the pineapple raita.

As if the, you know, pineapple raita itself wasn’t enough to put you off.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
What she is doing is actually dangerous....... it clearly shows on the Asda webpage that those stir fry packs shouldn’t be reheated Never mind her claim of it keeping for 3 days in the fridge. The risks of bagged salad/veg and food poisoning are well documented

I also think she’s basing the 3 days on the fact that the pack says it will be fresh for an average of 3 days. But obviously that doesn’t apply when it’s already reached its shelf date. After 3 days in the fridge, it will be absolutely crawling. 🤢🤢

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
I also think she’s basing the 3 days on the fact that the pack will be fresh for an average of 3 days. But obviously that doesn’t apply when it’s already reached its shelf date. After 3 days in the fridge, it will be absolutely crawling. 🤢🤢
A quick rinse and you're good to go....to hospital with E.coli

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 37
How about this Maverick chef...prep your onion BEFORE you put your oil on or even before you put the pan on the hob THEN you won’t get stressed...you twit! Jesus ABC of food prep and would have saved your readers 8 billion pointless words. Someone teach this idiot how to write a simple recipe without all the blather about stress and scum and teeny tiny little orange pulses! 🙄
Yes! And if you do all your prep beforehand, you can pretend you are on a cookery show when you start the actual cooking bit 😂.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Problem for her just now is when you are a celeb chef (snort!) is you have to have a clear brand. If you think of Nigella or Jamie or Delia or Hugh you kinda know what food it is generally. How complicated it is, how expensive their food is, what continent the food mostly comes from.
jack - no friggin idea. What is it. There’s no good home economics as a basis for good value food. A good student cookbook will do that. It’s just random stuff.
It’s also why you won’t get on TV, regardless of any other issues.

Reactions: 24
Problem for her just now is when you are a celeb chef (snort!) is you have to have a clear brand. If you think of Nigella or Jamie or Delia or Hugh you kinda know what food it is generally. How complicated it is, how expensive their food is, what continent the food mostly comes from.
jack - no friggin idea. What is it. There’s no good home economics as a basis for good value food. A good student cookbook will do that. It’s just random stuff.
It’s also why you won’t get on TV, regardless of any other issues.
I think I have cracked her demographic: all the poor souls who have lost their sense of taste and smell due to Covid19.

• Haha
Reactions: 52
Is there any cuisine she can't bastardise and duck within an inch of its life? I have about 10 Indian subcontinent cookbooks, none of them have a recipe for pineapple raita. Why? Because it's horrid.
I like pineapple, I like raita. Both together, just why?? Minging :sick:

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.