Jack Monroe #79 Big mistake. Big. HUGE.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you were going to do a £20 shop, surely the first thing you would buy would be a whole chicken? In Asda, the price of a whole chicken is £2.84. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to cooking, but surely you could make 3-4 really good meals from one? And for the same price as the turkey dog bone and liver? The maverick mind of Jack strikes again!
And a bag of onions
And a bag of carrots
And a bag of frozen peas/sweetcorn
4 pts of milk
2 packets of butter
A loaf of bread
A pack of mince
A box of eggs
A pack of cheese
And a bag of...

[drum roll]

...potatoes

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Tbh there's not enough words to say how much I dislike her at the moment.

All this pricing up of sloppy food with no explanation of why she's doing this. With her 280k followers thinking that this is how poor people live. Or that this is all they need to buy food.

In reality she's playing the poverty card again ...she's so poor she can't afford to eat any decent quality food and she's metaphorically rattling that tip jar.

It's he day before UC goes in for us, I have beef mince, onions, frozen peas, rice, stock cubes and various tins. Also have some potatoes left.

I've managed to make a decent meal for three of us with ease. No stickered items, no basic smart price items ...just a few ingredients combined together to make a healthy and filling meal.

And no slop anywhere in sight.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
What she is doing is actually dangerous....... it clearly shows on the Asda webpage that those stir fry packs shouldn’t be reheated Never mind her claim of it keeping for 3 days in the fridge. The risks of bagged salad/veg and food poisoning are well documented

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 51
She's told someone she's making draught excluders this week.

I look forward to seeing those.

What's the betting that her homemade draught excluders will look suspiciously like something from the Cotswolds Co. That is of course supposing that they actually materialise. That maverick brain has no attention span.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
She’s in the ‘eaves’ aka upstairs. Poor little Dickens character that she is.
All of the bedrooms are upstairs though, so they all have eaves. Especially in a bungalow. Is she implying that there's no insulation?
She's making it sound like she's stashed herself in the bare loft. Sounds all very Flowers in the attic! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I hate pineapple as it is but that picture won't leave my mind now and I just want to heave. Thanks Jack🤬

• Haha
Reactions: 15
All of the bedrooms are upstairs though, so they all have eaves. Especially in a bungalow. Is she implying that there's no insulation?
She's making it sound like she's stashed herself in the bare loft. Sounds all very Flowers in the attic! 😂
3F5DDFA7-3D9C-462A-B4CD-CFC8FFE17624.jpeg

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 56
What's the betting that her homemade draught excluders will look suspiciously like something from the Cotswolds Co. That is of course supposing that they actually materialise. That maverick brain has no attention span.
You can make them out of old scarves, you know.

Bit like these (£20), but perhaps a slightly different colour.

1601239401288.png

• Haha
Reactions: 52
That bleeping recipe is a mess. Substituting anything for bottled lemon is just perplexing.

It's basically a Jackgasm - a chance for her to be an utter bleep in word form and believe in her head she's maverick and the rest of us are wondering...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Jack use your 10 million print offs from tattle as draught excluders or better still use them to fuel your pizza oven maverick style.

I think she actually hates cooking from scratch. She seems to buy a lot of pre chopped veg, sliced meats etc (insert arthritic gnarly hands excuse). Whereas as others on here have pointed out that it's much more sensible to buy in bulk. I think the slop goes on the bin whilst she actually dines on posh ready meals.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
How about this Maverick chef...prep your onion BEFORE you put your oil on or even before you put the pan on the hob THEN you won’t get stressed...you twit! Jesus ABC of food prep and would have saved your readers 8 billion pointless words. Someone teach this idiot how to write a simple recipe without all the blather about stress and scum and teeny tiny little orange pulses! 🙄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
They sell turkey legs at Disneyworld. They’re a famous thing, they look rank.

None of this shopping is helpful. There’s no planning. There’s no this is what is in season, this is good value...
It’s just random stuff to be rinsed and thrown together. How is any of this helpful to anyone. It’s like a bad episode of ready, steady, cook.
Of course it’s not helpful to anyone but her.
Anyone who knew or wanted to teach about food planning would start with at least a vague list and plan for food for the week. What do I have, what do I need extra, planning and economising.

I’m currently writing a shopping list that will cover the next 2 weeks, it’s flexible but it’s there.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.