Jack Monroe #79 Big mistake. Big. HUGE.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
has anyone had any luck with one of those giant turkey legs? I roasted one ages ago , it wasn't great tasting and was very difficult to eat as it is was full of sinew and hard and dry.
I think delia supplied a recipe for braised turkey leg a few years ago for a budget xmas dinner. so, better than roasted. 🥴 I'm as carnivorous as they come and I never ever buy turkey, apart from xmas sandwiches. it's so dry and boring.

I would say that's like Jack's recipes, but hers are wet! so I'm looking forward to a wet turkey leg recipe! 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 20
If she is really that cold go fetch your duvet down and snuggle under it for duck sake of just wack the heat on for an hour it's won't cost that much and if you shut all doors it will keep the heat up for a while.
But then she couldn’t sad fish

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Jack Monroe’s Giant Turkey Twizzler Depressipe coming to a Twitter near you soon-ish

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 42
I think delia supplied a recipe for braised turkey leg a few years ago for a budget xmas dinner. so, better than roasted. 🥴 I'm as carnivorous as they come and I never ever buy turkey, apart from xmas sandwiches. it's so dry and boring.

I would say that's like Jack's recipes, but hers are wet! so I'm looking forward to a wet turkey leg recipe! 🥴
If you soak it in brine a la Mom then it’d be less dry ?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Yellow sticker shite is hardly a reliable option for her followers. Why doesn’t she care about their health and happiness? who wants to aspire to eat like that? Least of all SB! Why can’t she show people how to meal plan cleverly and cook good, simple food from scratch with minimal ingredients? That’s certainly what I’ve done when I’ve needed to. That’s what I do now tbh, it’s not always about spending less but reducing waste and plastic consumption, generally not being an idiot. And who has the time to take two trips to Asda for one shop?

#spoiler,
She had to split her poverty shop in 2 to make room for her crunchies, cheap wet ham and marmite luxuries. “2 separate receipts please, now duck off!”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
How far are we away from the bullshit book deadline?

As others have said, she’s bad enough begging for money, but to pretend that a ten year old boy is getting a week's worth of food there is dangerous. As we have seen, lots of her followers hang on her every flowery adjective, and might be impressionable enough to think that their own 10 year olds can get by on 200-300 calories a day.

I have boys the same kind of age. Full fat milk, real butter, cream, healthy fats like avocados, coconut milk etc etc etc form an important part of their diets. They’re not on bleeping slimming World! My kids are very active, and don’t have a roll of fat between them, so it’s not like they’re being over fed. Every morning they share a platter of fruit, then will have either a bowl of porridge or scrambled/poached eggs on wholewheat toast, sometimes bacon pancakes, or crepes. I do them a huge packed lunch each, full of fruit, salad, and something warm to go with.

Dinner my kids have things like today - a huge roast. Brisket cooked down with red wine, goose fat roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, carrots and parsnips cooked in butter and oil. They had a home made sticky toffee pudding with cream for dessert, and this evening after a bath they’ve just had cheese on toast. They only drink water and don’t eat tit like ‘maize snacks’. I only buy very high welfare organic meat, and cook it to go far. I buy organic low nitrate bacon, organic free range eggs.

She should be looking for workarounds to get people eating better quality food and produce from the UK/local, rather than ordering the plebs to eat eyelid sausages and low calorie tasteless slop for a growing boy. She also neglects to mention that he’s probably hardly ever there! So she not only is lying about only spending £20 a week in the first place, for him it’s not even a full week. Show me a ten year old that isn’t permanently ravenous, please! I know they can be fussy, but they’re literally growing like weeds at this age and will eat accordingly. When I make a lasagne, properly cooked down glossy ragu, with proper creamy béchamel (sorry Jack, I know it’s maverick), I make a salad on the side, and my kids still have 2 portions each. If I pick them up from school without at least an apple or banana each they are practically howling all the way home. If I get a chance to, before I pick them up, I’ve been making hot chocolate and taking it down to school in a thermos. Banana, hot chocolate. Literally gets them by for about an hour before they’re at the satsumas and plums and getting under my feet while I do dinner.

Sorry, that’s turned into a scathing essay called “Kids Eat. A Lot”.
Please adopt me, @PoorPatrol ❤

*pulls best manipulative urchin face*

Honestly, I hate these bullshit pricings so much. You can't buy that little pineapple, garlic, yogurt or herbs anywhere, and they're not necessarily things which will be useful in other staple dishes.

She's an idiot.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
duck me up the arse what is that!!?

Genuinely looks like grassy dog puke.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I’m a fan of pineapple. Pork tacos with a salsa made of pineapple, cucumber, fresh coriander, salt and lime juice was something I made about once a week during the hot weather. (Soft corn tacos and lots of chilli sauce).

Seems a bit of a mad thing to put with raita as they’re both very acidic.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I'm glad you asked this! I bought one to slow cook for my dogs 🙈. Honestly, it was in the slow cooker for ages and was as tough as an old boot! Could hardly get the meat off the bone.
I read the second sentence wrong on this post and was briefly rather horrified 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Jesus wept, that pineapple dish is making my profile pick look more appealing

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Veronicaaa said:
This is quite interesting - Jack talking about how she reads all the comments about her because she values constructive criticism.
(ETA it doesn't automatically play, just click on it and it will take you to the video).
I tried to listen to what she says in this video but I could not take my eyes away from her tattoo of a naked woman being ravished by a skeleton. Perhaps that's the real reason Waitrose removed her tattoos in that photo she was whining about, in case a reader complained about an arse on full view (the tattoo, not Jack herself) in the magazine?

Her shopping choices remain perplexing. Why, out of all the various types and cuts of meat, would you actively choose to buy liver and turkey? Buying and cooking borderline-inedible food is Jack Monroe, Patreon saint of Slop's version of a hair shirt.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Jack ditch the granny undies for thermals if it is that cold. Hell even sell a side board for a Selkbag and you can survive in the arctic.

Her shopping has been ridiculous lately, this is not how genuinely poor people shop, just Jack because she really does not know what it is like. She would be far better to be honest about her budget and where she really buys the food she eats. She could use her profile to show people how to buy quality ethical products that you can stretch to 2-4 family meals. Also focus on seasonal foods, Aldi and Lidl often feature seasonal fruit and veg for example. She never takes into account supermarket deserts, rural poverty or fuel poverty either. Her so call tips are utter shite.
She apparently has an ethical eating book coming out. Announced shortly after buying the hole sausages. Bandwagon hopping as usual.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
Your house and overall approach to parenting sounds amazing, wish I'd grown up with you as my parent!

Totally agree with this, I have a nearly 18 month old who is always HANGRY. Has to have a big breakfast (toast with peanut butter, omelette or porridge fingers, always with fruit on the side and a huge beaker of whole milk), lunch is vegetable and cheese muffins or savoury veg pancakes, or pitta breads with cheese and houmous, then dinner is whatever we're having (curries, soups etc) often with a big dollop of full fat natural yoghurt on top. Has fruit or whole-wheat crackers for snacks. We're raising him veggie so determined to fill him with as much protein as possible, and yet he always grabs more off our plates! All really low-budget, mostly all made from scratch.

He's a skinny boy (on the 25th centile) but would throw the mother of all meltdowns if he had to live on portions as small of SB's rations.

Anyway, back to Grunka-ing.
That’s extremely kind of you to say, and may or may not have brought a tear to my shark eyes!

I guess like all of us, I’m just trying my best not to duck them up. I am actively thinking about whats best for my children all the time. The idea of using my children for “misty eyed rhetoric” on Twitter chills me to the bone. I’d go without anything, and do quite often knacker myself, to make sure they’ve got really healthy and tasty food. No way would I be giving my kids cheap food full of carcinogens, out of a £3k fridge. It defies belief. People don’t want to eat that tit, they only eat it if they’ve got no choice. Her current foray into poverty tourism is just so crass. She should be highlighting how to do it without resorting to that.

We have a healthy income these days, not wealthy at all, but we’re thankfully not currently worrying. I come from very WC background, no help financially, and we have had some bloody hard times. When my children were young, I used to do things like go to the local market as it was closing for the day on a Sunday. It wasn’t open on Monday so they’d be trying to offload everything. You’d get a blue bag full of red peppers for a pound, courgettes a pound a bag. I used to load up the pram, rain or shine, take it all home and do a mega batch cook, propped up with herbs and spices that I had spent money on. I would buy trays of tinned tomatoes that were good quality but cheap because I’d bought in bulk. Now, not everyone can do that. People don’t always have the £20 to buy 36 tons of tomatoes or whatever. But that’s how we survived and still ate beautiful food. Planning literally a month or two ahead, and therefore saving money as a whole. When my husband’s minimum wage salary came in every month, I would buy 18 toilet rolls, kgs of porridge, grains, rice, then there would be literally a few pounds per week left for fresh food.

She’s not helping anyone by encouraging them to eat rancid veg and cheap meat. She’s a con artist, no better than those scammers who ring asking if you’ve had an accident.

• Heart
Reactions: 80
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.