Jack Monroe #72 It’s not a government briefing, you don’t need to announce locking down

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The #bekind movement seems to have swung too far the other way now and created this false dichotomy where there is either gushing unfaltering praise, or you’re a troll/bully if you have anything less than ‘you’re perfect’ to feedback. There seems to be nothing in between.
The irony is that the people who talk about "Be Kind" and have that on their social media are the nasty ones: Ellen Degeneres, Naga Munchetty (who has a reputation at BBC Salford for being really unpleasant), Holly Willoughby (same with ITV).

• Wow
Reactions: 30
The irony is that the people who talk about "Be Kind" and have that on their social media are the nasty ones: Ellen Degeneres, Naga Munchetty (who has a reputation at BBC Salford for being really unpleasant), Holly Willoughby (same with ITV).
I’ve often wondered about Naga.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I think her usage of 'hoofed' is quite apt since she permanently has her foot in her mouth.

Friends, it is time to give you my review for the final two episodes of DKL. The first thing I noticed in episode nine (putting on my fashion maven hat) is how dreadful and unflattering that denim shirt with puffball sleeves and sparkly embroidery is. At around five minutes in, when they cut to one of the guests on the screen, you can hear Jack stage-whispering 'I don't have my cards'. A consummate professional at work. To put to bed the whole question of chain restaurants, when Jack is talking about how long you could cook her dal recipe for, she herself says 'there is a chain of restaurants in London - Dishoom - that do theirs for twenty four hours'. During a question segment, Jack is asked why beef mince can have different percentages of fat. She helpfully responds 'well it just does, doesn't it?’ I give this episode five gabbled adjectives for dal out of five.

Most of episode ten is completely uneventful. I find myself getting distracted, contemplating whether Jack's heavy breathing and nasal voice quality have anything to do with her adenoids. Perhaps she should add that to her list of ailments. Matt dares to compare Jack to THAT MAN while she is shaking up a salad dressing in a jar. She is quick to tell us that many chefs have used this technique, lest we think that she has any respect for Jamie Oliver in particular. At about thirty minutes in we get a shot of one of her cards, on which she has scrawled the words 'today Matt I'm making a lentil bean + kale salad'. In my weird little maverick brain it makes me think of someone appearing on Stars in Their Eyes in a kale salad ensemble. Add that to the list of potential court outfits. As the series draws to a close, Jack's final words are 'thank you so Matt much, Matt'. The RSPCA turned up on my doorstep looking for an owl in distress. I rate it one wheelbarrow chicken out of five.

I would like to wrap up by saying that for a bunch of horrid harpies and harridans you have been very lovely and welcoming.

Now duck off.
We need to set up a Halloween live watch party of these episodess somehow, your commentary is A+ can imagine the live chat would be amazing😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
This is paraphrased a little from another poster on the Styled by Susie Tattle but it put in to words something that’s been troubling me for a while and is absolutely spot on for Jack too.

The #bekind movement seems to have swung too far the other way now and created this false dichotomy where there is either gushing unfaltering praise, or you’re a troll/bully if you have anything less than ‘you’re perfect’ to feedback. There seems to be nothing in between.

Constructive criticism, challenging other people’s viewpoints, interrogating what you read, AKA the principles of critical thinking that are absolutely vital in democratic discourse are all falling by the wayside now.

It should be perfectly acceptable to challenge anything that Jack posts in a public forum, to highlight inconsistencies in what she says, to critique the pictures she makes available in the public sphere. It is not bullying or trolling to give someone negative feedback and crying ‘bully’ every time someone disagrees with you is going to make social media and incredibly bland and dull place.

Constructive criticism helps us get better at what we do. It makes us constantly innovate, progress and improve.

Never having any negative feedback creates an echo chamber where we think everything we do is perfect and beyond reproach, and apparently eventually leads to us posting pictures so heavily obscured beneath a cartoon filter that you can’t even tell what they are supposed to be...
I wish I could like this post more.

If you put a book/a work of art/a TV programme/any content out into the world, people have the right to dislike it and to say so. What you do with that feedback is up to you. I've mentioned it before, I sell some of my books on amazon and have all sorts of reviews on there. When I was first published, the reviews would consume a lot of my headspace (and funnily enough, mainly the bad ones, none of the good ones seemed to stick in my memory).

I quickly learned that I had to come up with a better strategy for my mental health. Now I haven't even looked at my reviews or star ratings for at least a year (maybe two?). Because I don't care. The people whose feedback I value (my editor, a few readers I had), gave me feedback before publication. The books all have a blurp and a clear description. If you buy it and don't find it useful (it's non-fiction, sort of a how-to-type thing, but not quite), that's a shame, but, like any other item, you can return it and get your money back. Or you can leave a negative review. Or you you can drop it at the charity shop. Or, if you really want to, write a letter to my publisher. Honestly, I don't care. I'm not going to be the first person in history to write books that are universally adored. I'm ok with that.

Actively seeking out online whether anyone has said anything about my books on different forums would just be bat-tit crazy. Why would I do that?

• Heart
Reactions: 54
I agree. I have an nmum and as a result I avoid going to my parents. Jack may have had good reasons for avoiding contact.

Someone in an earlier thread referenced Gilmore Girls and I think that's a good example. Lorelai grew up with a controlling, manipulative mum who knew no boundaries. Although Lorelai wasn't a perfect mum, I think she was right to make sure that Rory didn't grow up in an emotionally abusive household.

I also think that embroiling themselves in that family dynamic again for Rory's schooling also didn't massively help either of them in the long run.
Totally agree, I wouldn't go to my mother for help even if I was actually dying.

Also, my mum does genuinely love my daughter, she is openly nasty and mean to my son. So I don't ever leave him alone with her. People who have normal loving parents just look at me with absolute horror when I say that I won't leave my kids alone with their grandmother.

On the other hand, I think that the child's father had the right as his parent to know if she was not able to feed their child properly and was selling his toys and bed(?) Keeping that from him seems absolutely out of order.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 28
I won’t go into the numerous reasons why nothing we’re doing is actually wrong, but isn’t it funny for someone that pretends to be top pov urchin she’s SO quick to threaten others with financial insecurity? Her constant threats about lawyering up are her using her social & financial capital as a weapon to silence others under the assumption that they don’t also have the disposable income to seek legal advice, much less a whole court case worth of it, is peak Tory bleep.
Oh is Jack at legal threats again o_O I feel sad that some people are intimidated by her idle threats and she achieves her goal of silencing people that aren't in agreement with her. We have a very strict set of rules that go way above and beyond any laws in any free country. All you're really left with is member of the public expressing their opinions on a public figure.

Jack's the kind of person I can imagine accepting an offer from Kim Jong-un to visit North Korea, then come back singing prase. 😶

Even the prime minister is on side :D

borris-tattle.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
Oh is Jack at legal threats again o_O I feel sad that some people are intimidated by her idle threats and she achieves her goal of silencing people that aren't in agreement with her. We have a very strict set of rules that go way above and beyond any laws in any free country. All you're really left with is member of the public expressing their opinions on a public figure.

Jack's the kind of person I can imagine accepting an offer from Kim Jong-un to visit North Korea, then come back singing the prase. 😶
North Korea are most welcome to her.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Totally agree, I wouldn't go to my mother for help even if I was actually dying.

Also, my mum does genuinely love my daughter, she is openly nasty and mean to my son. So I don't ever leave him alone with her. People who have normal loving parents just look at me with absolute horror when I say that I won't leave my kids alone with their grandmother.

On the other hand, I think that the child's father had the right as his parent to know if she was not able to feed their child properly and was selling his toys and bed(?) Keeping that from him seems absolutely out of order.
I feel you get a lot of judgement from people with normal families when you distance yourself from yours. Nobody would argue that you should stick with an abusive partner because they are 'still your husband/wife and they love you' but they will argue that about a parent.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.