Jack Monroe #66 A potato is a potato

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wait...there are people out there who wash their work lanyards?? I need to up my game clearly 😱
Mine gets wiped periodically, though I never wear it round my neck

repeated as I stuffed it up last time 🤪 the scarey posts on the other thread frightened me

• Haha
Reactions: 7
She signed the contract for this book well into lockdown, I think around mayo time? Right before BLM, because that was when the book briefly changed to 'Jack tells poor black people's stories' before this horrendous idea was (silently) abandoned.

With a September deadline? Her publishers are as unprofessional as she is...

Reactions: 21
Can we add “inventor of Healthy Start Vouchers (aged 18)” to her list of jobs too please. Give the woman some credit, I was out getting pissed at 18, she’s clearly been a life long campaigner. Mind you the idea came from Jack at a meeting (says her ex girlfriend) so she may have only been 16/17 when she had the idea.😏🙄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Jesus duck. This woman is a shambles. Who labels themselves as 'former foodbank user'. 'Big mad' lol. twit.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
These stories are often not how they seem though - when someone is found dead at home and they had been on JSA or at a foodbank, then the Govt is blamed. But when the full picture is told it's usually a mental health case. The photo of the person that is in the papers is an old one, from 20 years ago plus, and they had rejected help, or social services had tried but failed. It's not really because they had to pay the bedroom tax or something. But Jack, because she is of limited intelligence, cannot see that - she just blames the government.
When I was in housing, we had a house handed back that had had nothing done to it since the 1960s. Had the tenant been found dead in it instead of dying a fully documented death of old age in hospital, it would no doubt have been headlines about the state of the house and our fault. They had refused double glazing, insulation, heating, new kitchen, new bathroom etc, all with no cost to themselves. There is a very limited area in which you can force help on people if they don't want it

Reactions: 22
She speaks like a super twee Millennial.

Henlo, I did a thing today! I am such a Hufflepuff! I am adulting and doing alll the things... please send some heckin woofers and catto pics over *glomps*

(I say this as a Millennial... if you can't roast yourself, how the hell you gunna roast someone else)

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 64
Lol soz but know your audience: there are quite a few people on this thread with PhDs. I fully agree that there are a portion (no doubt in proportion to the general population) who are useless and developed no tangible skills throughout their studies, but this is no different to the many non-PhD-holding useless people you encounter over the course of your working life. If you go through three to six years of intensive intellectual and practical research challenges I think you're certainly entitled to put your hard-earned title on your email signature. And of course there will be PhDs in the non-academic world - I think only 1 in 10 end up in academia? But if you can let me know who these companies who'll pay more if you have a PhD are, I'll be ever-grateful as I could do with a holiday tbh (*Jack voice* it's been 84 years).

Now Jack, OTOH, with her two honorary doctorates, can get the duck out. Those unis were definitely reaching.
My daughter (10 years post doc and scraping a living in academia - currently on a 50% post but working full time ) would love to know where those companies are too!

Reactions: 9
I am pretty sure it was not JM who came up with the idea of Healthy Start vouchers. These replaced an already existing Welfare Food Scheme https://openaccess.city.ac.uk/id/eprint/15159/1/Machell, Georgia (redacted).pdf

Ref: Citation: Machell, G. (2014). Food welfare for low-income women and children in the UK: a policy analysis of the Healthy Start scheme. (Unpublished Doctoral thesis, City university London) - not stored in any feckin ring binders.
If the Healthy Start scheme was rolled out in 2006, there’s no way Jack was involved. I wonder if she told Louisa she was? Although I’d expect Louisa to know better, given her line of work.
And Henry D only says that Jack explained the scheme to him.
What’s going on? 🤔

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Someone really needs to tell her that in order to be respected as somebody
with the authority and credentials to speak on a topic, it takes more effort than changing your Twitter bio to suit 🙄

She really does just alter that to align with her current agenda each time. It's actually very immature.

And like her unnecessary blurb she gives when introducing herself each time - just because you say these things Jack, does not mean you are them.
Her blurb is excruciatingly cringey. I still haven’t watched her singing on YouTube as the gormless twatting-about introduction sent me straight to sound off and close page.

Reactions: 12
I've been ruminating about R Jackie's book and it hasn't been a fun afternoon.

In February this year I was called to a capability to work face to face interview. I thought it odd, as I am so close to retirement age, but it was a requirement so had to go through it.

With hindsight, the worst part of the whole process was reading other people's experiences and horror stories online. It made the whole situation almost unbearable in the run up to the interview. I was almost sick with worry about the trick questions they said the use, the secret cameras that they watch you with outside on the pavement, the disdain and contempt with which they treat you. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I told the truth, backed up with reports and letters from my various consultants and healthcare practitioners. They were indeed dispassionate, just writing down my responses to their questions without any reaction. The person carrying out my interview was difficult to read, but I just told the truth there were no trick questions, but if there had been, as I was honest they wouldn't have caught me out.

Where I am going with this diatribe is, this awful book of unsubstantiated accounts of horrific treatment by DWP could dissuades someone from applying for benefits they are entitled to. They may well consider it not worth applying as they will be treated badly.

If she continues with this book, which will contain nothing that isn't available elsewhere on the internet and other books, then she will have blood on her hands.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 51
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.