Jack Monroe #66 A potato is a potato

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I work in sort of academia most technical / research staff have at least a first degree, PhDs are common as are Professorships no one puts their academic quals on anything unless it is external and it is all first name terms Your guy would get the P taken :)
I worked in two different definitely academic institutions and the use of Professor and Dr as name prefixes in email and letterhead signatures was standard. Post-nominals, no. My current job demands a degree and no post-nominals are used as degrees are normal. Everyone was on first name terms everywhere but an email or letterhead signature is a different thing.

Reactions: 6
I am pretty sure it was not JM who came up with the idea of Healthy Start vouchers. These replaced an already existing Welfare Food Scheme https://openaccess.city.ac.uk/id/eprint/15159/1/Machell, Georgia (redacted).pdf

Ref: Citation: Machell, G. (2014). Food welfare for low-income women and children in the UK: a policy analysis of the Healthy Start scheme. (Unpublished Doctoral thesis, City university London) - not stored in any feckin ring binders.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
She has not "assembled 100 case studies". She has printed off people's accounts of their interaction with DWP. Case studies presumes some effort on her part in collating the information, and ensuring that it is a truthful. What exactly has she done to investigate the legitimacy of these allegations? She has done nothing to ensure that they cannot be disproved making her look foolish. She has not fact checked them, she has accepted them at face value. That is fine for a Twitter rant, but if she is to make allegations in the form of a book, she had better make sure they stack up to investigation.

Having been in the position of claiming benefits for the past few years, I know there are harrowing tales that deserved to be told. But this is not the way to do it. 40 days to gather information and write a book about something so complex just shows how naive she is. 40 days to research a subject as complicated as the benefits system highlights how ignorant she is on the subject.

What she has done is gather together a number of stories, sent to her at her request on Twitter, and put them in a folder.
Well whoop de do.
So whose responsibility is fact checking? Author? Editor? Publisher? And if published and discredited? What happens then?

echos of the paedophile ring

Reactions: 12
She's forgotten to add Bellend.
Oi!!! I take exception to that 😉

I’m BUSY, so not a lot of time to catch up, but I take it she’s gone off Twitter, come back, told people to tell her to get back to work, not gone back to work, come back onto Twitter, declared she doesn’t care if she never writes another cookery book again (let’s be thankful for small mercies, Fraus), got a bit ranty, posted pictures of Fiddy and revealed that Nigella is, in fact, her mother?
I’m bleeping exhausted just typing that.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I know we should not be discussing L here but I am starting to wonder if there was a bit of gaslighting going on in that relationship ☹

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
I know of a man in my area who ended up in hospital due to the stress of threats of being sanctioned. He had learning disabilities and was not coping with the jobsearch.

There are practical things that she could be doing to help people on uc who aren’t coping well on UC

Surely she’s not trying to take credit for Marcus campaign?

Who actually cares who had the idea? He’s the person who has done the graft. Not her.

Talk about showing a total lack of class. Pipe down and let Marcus get on with it. It’s not all about you

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
that “I did a...” thing that she always does, is she trying to be quirky or funny? It’s neither.
It always reminds me of Frank Spencer (Some Mother’s do ‘ave them) who used to say “I did a Whoopsie” (unless my mind is playing mad tricks on me!)

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I believe Marcus has also donated his own money to help poor kids get meals.
What has she done during lockdown to help kids whose parents are struggling financially?

I watched a YouTube video this morning of Jack doing a cookery class in Clydebank (before lockdown).

Without a word of a lie they cooked her ‘delicious’ peach and chickpea curry.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
I am having to sit on my own hands to stop myself from tweeting Henry Dimbleby telling him that Jack is a liar and Sure Start has been around at least since I was a cashier at Asda in 2008.

Edit: sorry, Healthy Start. I'm getting mixed up with another excellent scheme which tried to help children in poverty until the Tories decided that children in poverty isn't something to worry about.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Screenshot_20200901-171327_Fenix.jpg

Screenshot_20200901-171249_Fenix.jpg

Am I missing something?

Did Jack explain how important they were (as in they already existed), or were they her idea (in 2006?!)?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I worked with young mums in 2007 and they were in receipt of vouchers for their babies.

To be fair to Jacks ex I think she’s phrased her tweet poorly.

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.