Jack Monroe #65 Green gages and ham

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Dearest Cabal, not only do I have a new thread to follow, my Ex has finally relented and access to the Juniors has been granted, been a long 3 years.

[Inserts Tobias from arrested development shouting Huzzah gif]

• Heart
Reactions: 76
Hmmm I just can't see how she's going to produce something that focuses on the experiences and stories of others... 🤔

Can just see her interviewing people, constantly interrupting to top trump/out pov them. It'll be a struggle for her to shut up and put others at the centre of anything.

Though granted, I'm sure there will be a good chunk of her going over the same old story again... 😴
Of the stories she gathered four years ago, she could interview them about how things have changed over those years.

Or she could shut the duck up and not use people for her gain.

Reactions: 24
Half of the profits should be given to a good cause or royalties should go to the people who contributed their stories.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I never understood telling other people stories. Would she give her story to a slightly more famous writer so they could potentially profit from it?

It's her story and she likes to tell it because Its hers( it may have been told repeatedly like an elderly person does when they don't see many people). I think she should just let it be and let those people tell their ow story if and when they are ready too.

Poverty has been a massive issue for, forever what makes her think her little book is going to change anymore than anyone else who's tried. It will just be another book getting dusty after a while in a bookshop.

The only thing that will stop poverty is poor people being offered the same chances as everyone else. Better childcare allowance, more flexible and better paid jobs and better allowance in out of work benefits.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
From the last thread when she was making the jam - annoys me no end that she described herself as “snuck downstairs” in an empty detached bungalow and then put the blender on at 1am.
Who you sneaking from Jackie?
It’s very Nigella in her dressing gown asking to be left alone with her sandwich.
Not an original thought in her head.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
...right, well I've finally caught up.
I've been away for a few days but that was THEN.
I'm NOW back if that's okay with you?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Oh for the love of god, how many more times is she going to tell her memoir? Middle class girl had baby & lived in poverty for a short time a decade ago. We all know it backwards, as does anyone who’s even heard of her.
There are new people on the scene now actually doing things to help the poor-a book is going to make zero difference except allow her to crowbar back into the issue & go around giving interviews no doubt on its release. And poor people don’t want to read a book of other people’s misery, it is, I suspect, just another example of Jack thinking of Jack & desperately trying to stay relevant in her ‘niche’.
The economy’s screwed too-it’ll be out of date as soon as it’s published given that the impacts of Covid are going to show themselves over the coming months & years. A newspaper article or a series of them would be a far better way to raise awareness. The only people who will buy this book are those who already have an interest & therefore know that there are a lot of people in crappy situations in this country.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
If you're struggling, works out much cheaper (plus nicer) to buy a little fresh meat, of cheaper types obviously. A kilo pack of chicken thighs for example in Asda, £1.98 🤷
I am the last person to defend R Jackie, but tins of stewing steak or corned beef and similar are often the sorts of things found in a foodbank box. It is therefore a good idea to provide some ideas for using such items. Where I do not agree with the Maverick one is the terrible concoctions she comes up with, they would just end up in the bin. When you are relying on foodbanks you can not afford to waste food on a recipe that you may not like. It is not quite as simple as fresh meat is cheaper, it is what you get in the food box, it isn't a choice.

As an example, when I received a tin of stewing steak in a foodbank box, I did not rinse off the gravy and make some sort of slop overpowered with garlic and raw onions with mandarin segments (that I could use for a pudding). I added lots of fresh veg, made pastry and made a pie that fed me and two of my neighbours who were also reliant on benefits. It was healthy and actually very tasty. I do not understand R Jackie's obsession with attempting to make some weird food combinations that people may or may not find appealing (I would put money on that they would not). Because if you are on the breadline you cannot take the risk of wasting what little food you do have.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
I’m losing track of how many books she has on the go. Didn’t she recently say she’d completed a manuscript and was about to hand it to a publisher? If so, what book was that?
The manuscript she worked 20 hours a day writing while simultaneously sleeping 22 hours a day.
BLM book.
Ouchy mouth book.

Any others wise fraus?

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Yesssss - a poetry clapback, I love it! (Describing an evening as being like a patient etherized on a table is incredibly weird and creepy, isn't it?).

View attachment 226478
Especially for you, @Veronicaaa : https://allpoetry.com/Very-Like-a-Whale

...right, well I've finally caught up.
I've been away for a few days but that was THEN.
I'm NOW back if that's okay with you?
Hope you had time for a piss and a sandwich?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I still don't fully understand why you'd rinse the sauce off that steak when the steak has probably been infused with it already. I imagine sitting in a can for a months would do that. It's like buying those cooked chicken tikka pieces from the chill aisle, sticking them under a tap and using them in an creamy pasta sauce lol. Why wouldn't you just put them in a curry and maximise the flavours!

Reactions: 23
Returning to that guy the other night asking what to do with an oversized courgette, or marrow. Did you all notice the size of the cooker, a massive range style. If he owned that surely he has at least a vague interest in cooking. Also as he was tweeting R Jackie, he clearly has knowledge of the internet and how to use it. It would surely not be beyond him to type into google "marrow recipes", where a myriad of tasty suggestions would come up. Not a bowl of slop in sight.

As an aside, this man is obviously a perfect example of her Twitter followers. Middle class (I can't imagine anyone on benefits with a cooker or kitchen like that) and just want to interact online with someone who is the face of what I call "acceptable poverty".

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Dear heart, I do hope this new revelation will result in you delighting your tastebuds with this whimsical concoction:

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2019/07/22/beef-black-bean-mandarin-stew-recipe/
This recipe shows another of her foibles that really grates with me. She says it serves 4 from 66p each. Serves 4? Not in my universe it doesn't with 2 teenagers. That would barely serve 2 in my book and you would have to add rice or potatoes. It's not nice but it's not even cheap

Reactions: 18
OMG!!! After I brought up the fact that this book was mentioned 4 years ago and never completed...hi jack 👋 FYI looking your purple risotto made me almost throw up

View attachment 226500
Shudder at the thought of people paying money to read the memoir of this charlatan. Mixed with some excitement at the lies that must surely be clear for all to read.

‘Political campaigner’. If Jack Monroe speaks for the lower classes then God help us all.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.